How to run another instance of an application from the same Application Icon

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

How can i run another instance of the application  while the application is already running, by clicking on the application Icon in /Applications/.

I dont want to run it from /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp

Can i link a script file containing statements

(1)open -n /Applications/myapp.app

or

(2)open -n /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp

with the application icon click....

i have tried making changes in Info.plist of the application

key-Executable file    value-myapp    {present at /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp}

changes

key-Executable file   value-launch.sh  {present at /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/launch.sh}

As i know an  Application Bundle on OS X  can only be started once.by simply copying the bundle the same application can be launched twice.

Is there any solution for the above problem

Thanks

Ankit

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

OS X doesn't work like that. Copy the application, open it twice. This is better behavior.

Some even prevent you from doing this.

• Reply 2 of 3

Is there any apple documentation that says that the above behaviour is the default OS Behaviour and cannot be changed

• Reply 3 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ankitverma05 View Post

Is there any apple documentation that says that the above behaviour is the default OS Behaviour

No, but that's only because this is the only possible behavior allowed by the system. 

…cannot be changed

Right. Just copy the application and open the second one. I do that with HandBrake if I have multiple discs to rip at once.