Apple starts shipping first Lightning to 30-pin Adapter orders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Monday sent out emails notifying a number of Australian customers that their Lightning to 30-pin Adapter orders had shipped, with an expected arrival date coming almost four weeks after sales of the iPhone 5 went live in September.

Lightning Adapter Shipment
Source: MacRumors

At least one buyer of Apple's new adapter, which is currently only compatible with the iPhone 5, told MacRumors that his shipment is due for delivery on Oct. 9, more than three weeks after the handset went up for preorder in mid-September.

According to Apple, the move away from the legacy 30-pin plug to the 80 percent-smaller proprietary Lightning connector was required to build devices as slim and compact as the iPhone 5 and products from the next-generation iPod line. To help ease the transition to the new format, which effectively renders nearly a decade's worth of "Made for iDevice" accessories obsolete, Apple is offering the $29 Lightning to 30-pin Adapter along with a $39 cabled version.

As first reported by AppleInsider, the reversible Lightning port dynamically assigns pins and uses only those signals required by a connected accessory, such as audio or USB data for a dock. The advanced protocol also carries authentication hardware, making it difficult for third-party manufacturers to build accessories without paying royalties to Apple.

It appears that Apple's Lightning adapters will be indispensable for users tied to their accessories for some time, as Apple is said to have made significant changes to the "Made for iPhone" rules expected to be presented in November, allowing little to no room for accessory makers to build new products before Christmas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    "Offered" is not the appropriate word, especially at that price...

[CODE]And now I need to have my "Designed for iPhone" Rolls Royce serviced![/CODE]
  • Reply 2 of 43
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday sent out emails notifying a number of Australian customers that their Lightning to 30-pin Adapter orders had shipped [...]

HAD shipped?  So they were shipped at one point but now they aren't shipped anymore?  Or did you mean HAVE shipped?

• Reply 3 of 43

The shipment process always been delayed.

• Reply 4 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

It would be good if I can trade the unused charger I don't need for one of these, which I do need.

• Reply 5 of 43

$30 for a simple adapter is ridiculous (even with a dynamic control chip). I'm holding out for a third party solution, even if it takes until January.

• Reply 6 of 43
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I'm hoping to be one of those Australians, i haven't received an email yet...Soon 

• Reply 7 of 43
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Please let us know when they hit Apple retail stores.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mulrich wrote: »
    $30 for a simple adapter is ridiculous (even with a dynamic control chip). I'm holding out for a third party solution, even if it takes until January.
    I don't disagree about the price.

But you do realize that it has more than a DCC in it, right? It also has at least a DAC (digital to analogue) converter, and likely some other chips to convert the lighting signals.

That said, I am eager for the first teardown to find out exactly how much this item actually costs Apple to make (especially since it doesn't do video).
  • Reply 9 of 43
    I have pre-ordered the adapter when I pre-ordered the iPhone 5. I got the phone alright, but I am really upset that i do not have the adapter for it. My gym equipment has the legacy 30-pin and w/o the converter i am not able to connect the phone. Same with the iHome stuff i have have at home. Why there is no good explanation for such a delay Apple? It's one thing to block the third party manufacturers (even these who would pay royalties) but please Apple, supply your own inventory in time! Fail!
  • Reply 10 of 43
    I'm disappointed that the adapters weren't available upon launch of the phone. I have had to go without my accessories, including my iHome alarm clock, since my iPhone 5 arrived. Apple dropped the ball a little on this one... but at least some of the adapters are beginning to ship.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

HAD shipped?  So they were shipped at one point but now they aren't shipped anymore?  Or did you mean HAVE shipped?

Dude...first, calm down.  Secondly, the article was written properly.  It started in the past tense, and stayed there.  Perfectly legit writing.  But by all means, go all CAPSUNDERLINEBOLD and freak out.  

• Reply 12 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsmOfAm View Post

I have pre-ordered the adapter when I pre-ordered the iPhone 5. I got the phone alright, but I am really upset that i do not have the adapter for it. My gym equipment has the legacy 30-pin and w/o the converter i am not able to connect the phone. Same with the iHome stuff i have have at home. Why there is no good explanation for such a delay Apple? It's one thing to block the third party manufacturers (even these who would pay royalties) but please Apple, supply your own inventory in time! Fail!

I agree - shame it was not available at the launch of the iPhone 5 - I got around it with a bluetooth interface - that plugs into the dock connector where my old iP4S used to plug into - and I may keep the bluetooth - its more convenient than plugging my Phone in each time

• Reply 13 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dude...first, calm down.  Secondly, the article was written properly.  It started in the past tense, and stayed there.  Perfectly legit writing.  But by all means, go all CAPSUNDERLINEBOLD and freak out.  

Actually it is not written properly.  "Had" refers to an event occurring before a subsequent event.  In the absence of a subsequent event (a change in shipping status) it is incorrect. In this context, "have" is still past tense.

It's a common error but still an error.  IT'S FREAKIN' ME OUT! :)

• Reply 14 of 43
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member

I received a ship notice via text message from Apple a few hours ago.  I ordered mine on the day of the iPhone announcement (September 12).  They were already available for pre-order from Apple that afternoon.  My Lightning USB cables arrived a day or two before my phone was delivered on the 19th.  Have been waiting for this one to use with my car charger.

• Reply 15 of 43
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    mulrich wrote: »
    I don't disagree about the price.

But you do realize that it has more than a DCC in it, right? It also has at least a DAC (digital to analogue) converter, and likely some other chips to convert the lighting signals.

That said, I am eager for the first teardown to find out exactly how much this item actually costs Apple to make (especially since it doesn't do video).

Why do people on this site feel the need to justify overpriced stuff that doesn't really need to be overpriced? It's not good design to move the conversion requirements to accessories, it only makes everything more expensive as functionality has to be replicated by each accessory. It's BAD DESIGN, you shouldn't be trying to justify it, it's not done with your interests as a customer in mind!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Why do people on this site feel the need to justify overpriced stuff that doesn't really need to be overpriced?

I don't know of anyone here that has ever justified Monster cables or solid gold, diamond-encrusted device cases.

And that's really all we talk about that could be considered overpriced.

It's not good design to move the conversion requirements to accessories…

Why?

…it only makes everything more expensive…

Really? That's the case (first)? And there are NO other possible benefits (second)? 

It's BAD DESIGN, you shouldn't be trying to justify it…

Can you justify whatever your alternative is?

• Reply 17 of 43
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Cheap alternative adapters that just work for charging is what I am waiting for.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Can you justify whatever your alternative is?
    I'll give you a hint: it's got 30 pins, can only be inserted one way, has been in use by Apple for over a decade, and it can accommodate any configuration of signals anybody can imagine, unlike apparently the new 8-pin dock connector for some reason.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I'll give you a hint: it's got 30 pins, can only be inserted one way, has been in use by Apple for over a decade, and it can accommodate any configuration of signals anybody can imagine, unlike apparently the new 8-pin dock connector for some reason.

So sticking with 8" floppy drives carried between office cubicles when gigabit Internet exists. Got it!

• Reply 20 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So sticking with 8" floppy drives carried between office cubicles when gigabit Internet exists. Got it!

That's not an oranges-to-oranges comparison though.  Gigabit vs. floppy offers advantages in speed, convenience, space and capacity.  So far the Lightning connector seems to be smaller but somewhat LESS capable than what it replaces.  I'm sure alternative methods and technologies will mitigate any short-term disruption, but the point still stands.