Mac mini supply drying up, could signal Ivy Bridge update

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the Mac mini still waiting for an update to Intel's latest Ivy Bridge chips, supply of the diminutive desktop has begun to dwindle at various resellers.

Numerous sellers found in the AppleInsider Mac Price Guide are currently out of stock of the Mac mini. Specifically, for the 2.3-gigahertz model, stock-outs are seen at Amazon, MacConnection, and J&R, while the 2.5-gigahertz option is unavailable at Amazon, MacMall, MacConnection and J&R.

Supply of the Mac mini Server with a 2-gigahertz Core i7 process is also running dry, as Amazon advertised as of Monday that it only has a few units left in stock, while MacMall and MacConnection are currently sold out.

In addition, Macerkopf.de noted on Monday that supply of the Mac mini has also begun to run dry in Germany. Apple typically winds down its inventory ahead of a new product launch, and limited supply at third-party resellers is often one of the first signs that a hardware refresh is forthcoming.

Mac mini

However, supply fluctuations are not always a sign that a hardware refresh is imminent. For example, Apple's iMac has seen its availability remain constrained off and on since July, but the all-in-one desktop has not yet been updated.

An updated Mac mini was not listed by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo among the eight new products Apple is rumored to launch this fall. However, he did indicate that Apple is planning to debut a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, as well as redesigned 21.5- and 27-inch iMacs.

Apple last updated the Mac mini in July of 2011, adding support for the high-speed Thunderbolt port while ditching the built-in optical disc drive that had been found on previous models. The current Mac mini lineup starts at $599 and features Intel's previous-generation Sandy Bridge processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 169
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Can someone explain to me why a Mac Mini is better than an iMac?  I'm genuinely curious.

Hope it's true, though. I see that many, many people have been waiting on this.

EDIT: The analyst has been wrong on 3 out of 4, so far.  Why's he worth quoting?  image

• Reply 2 of 169
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    2 months ago we heard the iMac supply was drying up and- nothing. Maybe Apple is just for iThingys and laptops now.
  • Reply 3 of 169
    It isn't better than an iMac for my needs/wants. I'd rather have the AIO with the 27" display.
  • Reply 4 of 169
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,896member

It's only better than an iMac if it suits your needs better.  I want a Mini for a home server and media device.  Ben waiting for an update a long time.

• Reply 5 of 169
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Can someone explain to me why a Mac Mini is better than an iMac?  I'm genuinely curious.

Hope it's true, though. I see that many, many people have been waiting on this.

EDIT: The analyst has been wrong on 3 out of 4, so far.  Why's he worth quoting?  image

It is a good value for some people.  I have a nice Apple monitor and I don't do anything that requires much computing

power, so a Mini suits me fine, for example.

Being wrong 3 out of 4 might place this analyst among the better ones, when it comes to Apple.

• Reply 6 of 169
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Apples lack of updates on their entire desktop line is ridiculous, you can forgive them for not following the 3-6 month schedule of their competitors but 18 months + takes the piss.
  • Reply 7 of 169
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

It isn't better than an iMac.

It certainly can be. Depends on your use case. 

• Reply 8 of 169
    I've been waiting for a mini update for awhile now. I have a 2005 iMac that is getting long in the tooth, but I'm trying to use it as long as I can for what I paid for it.

When the new mini comes out, I plan on getting that plus the Thunderbolt Display. With the lower cost for the computer itself, I'd be much more likely to upgrade every few years than every seven.

I'm hoping that there'll be a whole "mini event" where the new iPad is released and this gets a significant update as well.
  • Reply 9 of 169
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member
    iMac: 18 months old already, and the processor they're rumored to be putting in to the next update is already nearly 8 months old.
  • Reply 10 of 169

Originally Posted by MacGizmo View Post

iMac: 18 months old already, and the processor they're rumored to be putting in to the next update is already nearly 8 months old.

Many of us are thinking Haswell at this point.

• Reply 11 of 169
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    allenbf wrote: »

You might as well ask why a pickup truck is better than a convertible?

They're entirely different computers. The iMac is an all-in-one where everything is in one box. The Mini does not include a monitor and is generally an entry-level machine with moderate performance.

Which one is better depends on your budget, your needs, whether you have a monitor already, and so on.
  • Reply 12 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

It's only better than an iMac if it suits your needs better.  I want a Mini for a home server and media device.  Ben waiting for an update a long time.

tru dat.

I do iMac's for my mother (80 year old touch typist) and for my mother in law, and iPad for my father (82yo who can barely run the microwave).  My wife is a MacBook, and I'm a Mac Mini with a 24" 2550x1100 screen, which is doing home automation and file serving as well as being my desk device, with a MBP for on the road work.  I'm finding that with AirPlay, my iPad is becoming my media device (with FileBrowser back to my mini's Torrent [ssshhhh!] sink).

• Reply 13 of 169
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member

But Intel has stated Haswell won't be ready until March or April of next year. That would (obviously) mean it won't be in any Mac update this year; unless Apple has struck a deal with Intel for early access to the chips.

So either there is no update coming this year, or we'll get a minor update with 8-month old chips - then get a full redesign next year with new chips, etc.

Either way, frustrating.

• Reply 14 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It certainly can be. Depends on your use case. 

*Edited original post

• Reply 15 of 169

Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

*Edited original post

There you go! Exactly.

• Reply 16 of 169

It's probably all psychological, but I've always felt like the iMac gives you more bang for your buck. Nowadays though, there's little bang at all.

Eventually they'll get updated...

Eventually.

• Reply 17 of 169
    sabugasabuga Posts: 45member

Personally, I'm buying the next Mini (Still got 2 20 inch cinema displays that I brought with my PowerMac G5). Since ML seems to want computers with SSD's, I'm hoping that it'll come with an SSD as standard, and an optional platter drive.

• Reply 18 of 169
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I sure hope this is true!
  • Reply 19 of 169

I will probably get Both Minis: The Mac and iPad mini's, IF Apple releases both machines before the holidays.

• Reply 20 of 169
    Many of us are thinking Haswell at this point.

Same here