Rumor: Apple looking into using carbon fiber in 'completely different' way than usual

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new rumor claims Apple has been working with a carbon fiber maker for years, in an effort to develop new ways of using the material to create a device's outside shell.

Following up one of its earlier reports, Japanese Apple blog Macotakara reported on Tuesday that while current devices are currently available, Apple is looking to make something "completely different" than the norm. The report suggests that Apple could weave the fiber in a unique way that would be unlike what other manufacturers have done to date.

According to the rumor, Apple has been heavily researching the use of carbon fiber in its devices for at least three years. In that timeframe, Apple is said to have worked closely with a Japanese company.

The same site reported last month that Apple had ordered a large number of parts made of carbon fiber. That was taken to suggest that the company could be planning to build a new product made of the durable-yet-lightweight material.

Patent 1

Apple's interest in carbon fiber has been previously detailed in a number of patent filings by the company, including one from last month that described carbon fiber housings for a new MacBook design. Another patent application from 2010 described how Apple might use carbon fiber to make a lighter and stronger iPad.

The back of the current iPad is made from a single billet of aluminum, which increases the weight but also greatly improves the rigidity of the device. Apple's new iPhone 5 is 20 percent lighter than its predecessor thanks in part to a change from glass to metal back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48

I can't help but think if EdisonInsider posted an article about every type of material Edison tried to use as filament in the electric light bulb, there would be a lot of articles too.

• Reply 2 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Carbon fiber cereal! Take that, Total!

• Reply 3 of 48
    ai46ai46 Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I can't help but think if EdisonInsider posted an article about every type of material Edison tried to use as filament in the electric light bulb, there would be a lot of articles too.

There's an EdisonInsider? What's the URL?

• Reply 4 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ai46 View Post

There's an EdisonInsider? What's the URL?

Sadly, the Edison rumors ended with his death.

• Reply 5 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Carbon fiber cereal! Take that, Total!

Oh, please!

I've been telling everybody and his dog about how Apple's been secretly working on carbon fiber socks for years, but does anybody listen to me?

Noooooo...

• Reply 6 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

My double-secret probation sources tell me Apple is looking at revolutionizing the flying disc market. Take that, Frisbee!

• Reply 7 of 48

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sadly, the Edison rumors ended with his death.

Light bulbs would never have used LEDs if Edison was still alive.

• Reply 8 of 48

Quote:

You reckon they'd still be horse-drawn?

• Reply 9 of 48

Carbon Fiber, imma let you finish but liquid metal...

Haven't heard any news or rumors of that material in a while. :(

• Reply 10 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

They'd be known as "Solid-State Edisons".

• Reply 11 of 48

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That's silly!

Horses have two toes; they can't hold a pen!

• Reply 12 of 48
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member

I think replacing "Edison" with say, another name we all know, would make you an EdisonInsider troll!
  • Reply 13 of 48
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member

News about Apple and carbon fiber is like news about improved solar cells or batteries---year of smoke and no apparent fire.

Here's hoping that there's a bonfire out there that we just haven't seen yet.

• Reply 14 of 48

Quote:

That's silly!

Horses have two toes; they can't hold a pen!

Have you ever seen a horse try to use a Samsung Galaxy Note? It's a terrible sight.

• Reply 15 of 48
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Carbon fiber for the redesigned iPhone 5, to substitute for anodized aluminum which shows scratches.

• Reply 16 of 48
    cpsro wrote: »
    Carbon fiber for the redesigned iPhone 5, to substitute for anodized aluminum which shows scratches.

Or possibly carbon fiber robots, that repair and re-fill the scratches as they appear in real-time.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm sure Apple looked into it, I won't put any stock into rumors of any Apple CF-based products until Apple announces it.
  • Reply 18 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Have you ever seen a horse try to use a Samsung Galaxy Note? It's a terrible sight.

Don't they shoot them for that?

• Reply 19 of 48
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member

Whatever happened to good-ole Bakelite? (polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride - now that's a mouthful).

I can hear the Apple-haters already about delamination of iphones.

(Drum Roll Please):     "Delami-gate"      (has a nice ring to it, don't you think?)

Too bad they can't use the name Carbonite (which was used in encasing Han Solo), and which is now a data backup company.

Just found out they could use Carbomite (from one of my favorite Star Trek 1964 episodes  "The Carbomite Maneuver"). Close enough.

• Reply 20 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My double-secret probation sources tell me Apple is looking at revolutionizing the flying disc market. Take that, Frisbee!

Maybe a new carbon fiber sim ejection tool! It's necessary because it will reduce the next iPhone packaging weight by 0.001 grams.