Apple's 'iPad mini' predicted to be 'the next big thing' in China

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
An anticipated smaller iPad from Apple is expected by one market watcher to have considerable success in China, where users have shown an eagerness to adopt devices with mid-range screen sizes.

Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets said on Thursday he feels Apple's so-called "iPad mini" is poised to become "the next big thing" in the nation of over a billion people. As reason for this prediction, he pointed to growing popularity for Samsung's large-screen Galaxy Note smartphone.

"While the Galaxy note is also a smartphone, we believe the tablet capabilities are the main reason for purchase in China," he said. "Our conversations during our meetings and casual consumer interactions this week tells us the iPad Mini will take off like wildfire in China."

Assuming the iPad mini were to be priced between $250 and $300, that would have Apple's rumored 7.85-inch tablet at a price point less than half that of the new Galaxy Note II.

White is currently on a tour of Asia where he has spoken with component suppliers and gauged interest in electronics products in the region. Earlier this week, he described Hong Kong as having "iPhone 5 fever," after all of the stores he visited were sold out of Apple's latest smartphone.

Black Rendering

iPad mini rendering. | Source: Martin Hajek

While the iPad mini hasn't even been confirmed by Apple, that hasn't stopped rampant speculation and even precautionary measures from being taken. For example, AppleInsider revealed earlier Thursday that retailer Best Buy has begun sending out in-store displays to showcase iPad mini accessories.

Apple's anticipated iPad mini is expected to be unveiled by the company this month. Rumors have suggested it will feature a 7.85-inch display with a lower resolution than the Retina display on the third-generation iPad. According to The Wall Street Journal, Apple has ordered more than 10 million units it aims to sell this holiday season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    So when the iPad Mini turns out to be total vaporware, will DeWitt, White etc finally be exposed as the idiots they are and fired. Or at least forced to stop with the Apple rumors once and for all.
  • Reply 2 of 33

So no invite today, either. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. 

• Reply 3 of 33

Maybe not.

• Reply 4 of 33
    So no invite today, either. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow. 

You can't have an invite if it can't get built.
    Here's hoping for an iMac invite.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    stocks are going dwon
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I'm still on the fence about buying one. I'm always opting for more screen real estate and downsizing from an iPad seems like a loss. I can see the niche for it, just not 100% sold. Heading back to the development drawing board again! ;)
  • Reply 7 of 33
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    What I don't understand is how this Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets has become the go to guy on all things Apple. He appears not actually know anything, and his greatest accomplishment appears to be putting a $1001 price target on AAPL back in the early spring.

• Reply 8 of 33
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Should probably move along with the mocking use of Samsung's "the next big thing" catch.  Very ridiculous considering we're discussing a smaller version of the iPad as well.  Perhaps imitating Samsung is part of the 'joke'.

• Reply 9 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So when the iPad Mini turns out to be total vaporware, will DeWitt, White etc finally be exposed as the idiots they are and fired. Or at least forced to stop with the Apple rumors once and for all.

Well if it is vaporware as you suggest Apple is going to wish they had released it because the millions of people who are eagerly anticipating it to be released before Christmas aren't going to be angry the DeWitt and White. They will be accusing Cook and Company of not delivering the Pad mini as promised. Yes we know they didn't promise anything but the general public won't see it that way. If the iPad mini does not materialize it will be bad for Apple, from a PR perspective at least, and missed opportunity for sure.

• Reply 10 of 33

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well if it is vaporware as you suggest Apple is going to wish they had released it because the millions of people who are eagerly anticipating it to be released before Christmas aren't going to be angry the DeWitt and White.

And the "millions of people eagerly anticipating" the iPhone nano. Don't hear much from them anymore, do you? Guess they got over it.

They will be accusing Cook and Company of not delivering the Pad mini as promised. Yes we know they didn't promise anything but the general public won't see it that way.

Anyone stupid enough to blame a person or company for not doing something that they had not so much as denied or hinted to, much less promised, at any point in their entire lives or existence is too stupid to be taken into consideration.

If the iPad mini does not materialize it will be bad for Apple, from a PR perspective at least, and missed opportunity for sure.

Yeah, all those iPhone nano whiners really did a number on the… well, nothing, really. image

• Reply 11 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just maybe, just maybe, you will not have to eat your hat, Tally !!

• Reply 12 of 33
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

And the "millions of people eagerly anticipating" the iPhone nano. Don't hear much from them anymore, do you? Guess they got over it.

Anyone stupid enough to blame a person or company for not doing something that they had not so much as denied or hinted to, much less promised, at any point in their entire lives or existence is too stupid to be taken into consideration.

Yeah, all those iPhone nano whiners really did a number on the… well, nothing, really. image

regardless of who is to blame that rumor is probably hurting ipad sales right now if some people are waiting for it.  

• Reply 13 of 33

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Just maybe, just maybe, you will not have to eat your hat, Tally !!

Hat's delayed. And why in the first place? 

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

regardless of who is to blame that rumor is probably hurting ipad sales right now if some people are waiting for it.  

They'll get over it and buy the real thing if it gets too close to the holidays. I'm not worried.

• Reply 14 of 33

Quote:

I don't remember reading anything about an iPhone nano anywhere but here and I also don't recall ever seeing any leaked parts or cases. This is a different scenario altogether. The rumor of the iPad mini is all over the place with tons of leaked parts photos. I say it is real. Has macotakara ever been wrong? I think he was the one who broke the news of the name 'mini'. I would be very surprised if it turns out to be a false rumor.

• Reply 15 of 33
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

As I'm sure you previously read, I'm in complete agreement with you on this. I see no point in an iPad Mini, even as I was almost sure there would be an announcement yesterday.

However you mention "Anyone stupid" above. Keep in mind that most of Wall Street still believes this rumor. Unfortunately I don't believe they know that the whole idea came from a rumor site such as this one (or perhaps another). They may believe Apple leaked these ideas like Microsoft's announcement of their tablet so far before release.

I still hold my believe that there is no need for a smaller iPad. Perhaps a larger one....
  • Reply 16 of 33

Quote:

Yep but nevertheless that is what will happen. I guess that says something about the general public at large and iPad customers in particular (tech savvy users excluded of course)

• Reply 17 of 33

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't remember reading anything about an iPhone nano anywhere but here…

Gotta be joking. Gotta be joking.

…tons of leaked parts photos.

That have, quite recently, been shown to actually be iPod touch parts. 

Has macotakara ever been wrong?

Has he?

• Reply 18 of 33
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't remember reading anything about an iPhone nano anywhere but here and I also don't recall ever seeing any leaked parts or cases. This is a different scenario altogether. The rumor of the iPad mini is all over the place with tons of leaked parts photos. I say it is real. Has macotakara ever been wrong? I think he was the one who broke the news of the name 'mini'. I would be very surprised if it turns out to be a false rumor.

So far everything has been "Unconfirmed", "Anonymous", "Mock-up" and other adjectives describing the authors reluctance to stand behind the parts. The full fledge Television has at least seen mention in an authorized book.

It may come to fruition, or it may be a rumor. I'm leaning heavily towards it being a VERY large scale rumor.
  • Reply 19 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

It may come to fruition, or it may be a rumor. I'm leaning heavily towards it being a VERY large scale rumor.

It is a VERY large rumor alright. Is it true or false, that is the question.

• Reply 20 of 33
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    The obvious mistake being made here is that they are interpreting the popularity of "different sizes" as being about the size, when it's more likely those "sizes" are popular because they are cheap.

If Apple makes a smaller iPad that isn't cheap, it probably won't be popular anyway. Everyone knows the Chinese economy is all about cheap prices, not necessarily quality goods. Price is paramount.