Apple 'likely' to unveil 'iPad mini' at event on Oct. 23 - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is now expected to hold a briefing on Tuesday, Oct. 23, to unveil its smaller 7.85-inch iPad, with a product launch expected to follow soon after.

John Paczkowski of All Things D reported on Friday that Apple is "likely" to hold the event on Oct. 23. That's two days before the company is set to report its September quarter earnings, and three days before Microsoft will launch its Surface tablet.

The event is expected to be held at Apple's Town Hall Auditorium on its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters. The venue is smaller than the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts where other product unveilings, like last months' iPhone 5 have occurred, but the on-campus site has been home to the unveilings of the iPhone 4S, redesigned MacBook Air, and OS X Lion.

Paczkowski noted of Apple going with a smaller venue that the company "already held its big fall event." In addition to revealing the iPhone 5 last month, Apple also unveiled its new iPod lineup.

Black Rendering
Source: Martin Hajek

"The company pulled out all the stops for that one, holding it at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and recruiting Foo Fighters to close the show," he wrote. "It's hard to imagine it mounting a second production of that caliber in such a short time. More likely that iPad mini's debut will be an intimate affair held closer to home."

The so-called "iPad mini" is expected to be a tablet with a 7.85-inch display that will have a lower pixel density than the high-resolution Retina display on the third-generation iPad. The device is also expected to be thinner and to feature Apple's new Lightning connector that debuted on the iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 3 of 165
    Any final predictions on aspect ratio?
  • Reply 4 of 165
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Any chance iMacs will be intro'ed as well?
  • Reply 5 of 165
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I'm guessing one side will be longer than an adjacent side.
  • Reply 6 of 165
    rot'napple wrote: »

Recently Benchmark (September 10): browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/657744
  • Reply 7 of 165

I think Apple should leave iPad and iPhone for a while and go back to what brought them alive in the first place.  Wich is desktop computers.  There is still lots of customer starting to be angry at the lateness of action on this part...

But I guess they lost the essence of reality...

Give us new iMacs and new Mac Pros... PLEASE

• Reply 8 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

We're all hoping for a desktop refresh right now, fingers crossed! 

So iPad mini cometh, I myself prefer iPad. 

• Reply 9 of 165

How about a new Mac mini? Any insight?  I've been waiting for some time now to replace my Core Duo. I don't want to buy a model released over a year ago.

• Reply 10 of 165
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Great news!

• Reply 11 of 165
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1024x768 like the ipad 1 and 2....  so 4:3

Anyone is going to start the price debate again? Like that ultra fanboi bozo who was interview on CNBC who wants a high end ipad mini at 349$? 

• Reply 12 of 165
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreGauvreau View Post

I think Apple should leave iPad and iPhone for a while and go back to what brought them alive in the first place.  Wich is desktop computers.  There is still lots of customer starting to be angry at the lateness of action on this part...

They will probably introduce the imac's, the mac mini and the 13" mac pro at the same event. But the PC business is not what put Apple on the map, its the ipod, iphone, ipad which is more than 80% of there income. 

But in the shrinking PC market, Apple is one the few that is actually gaining market shares.

• Reply 13 of 165
    Apple'likely' to unveil............ this site has gone downhill lately. More than ever I've noticed reportedly and likely and probably or a analyst assumes.
  • Reply 14 of 165
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

If the event doesn't happen in October we can give it up for this year...which would be a shame since I'm waiting on a new iMac or mini and the iPad mini.  I'll just get a 13" MBA or MBP and iPod Touch instead.

• Reply 15 of 165
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Anyone is going to start the price debate again?

Sure...less than the iPad 2 and more than the iPod Touch...

• Reply 16 of 165
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

4:3 display, with narrow side bezels. Will align pretty much neatly with the rumours and mockups.

Alongside this release, hopefully Apple has the sense to upgrade the "new" iPad and get rid of the iPad 2.

• Reply 17 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hopefully, because I'm ready to upgrade my mid-2007 24" alu iMac, so long as the new one is Retina.

• Reply 18 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreGauvreau View Post

No offence, but they way they are operating has made them the most valuable company on earth, so I'm guessing your argument is basically "where's my damn iMac!!!". That's my argument too, lol ;-)

• Reply 19 of 165

Quote:

Anyone is going to start the price debate again? Like that ultra fanboi bozo who was interview on CNBC who wants a high end ipad mini at 349$? 

I think starting at $299 is most likely, but wouldn't be shocked if it was as low as $249.

If I was the one at Apple who gets to decide what the Christmas 2012 iPad lineup was, I'd say:

iPad mini 16GB = $299

iPad mini 32GB = $399

No 64GB iPad mini.

Updated iPad 16GB (lightning, FaceTime HD + A6 or A6x + new speaker system) = $499

Updated iPad 32GB (lightning, FaceTime HD + A6 or A6x + new speaker system) = $599

Updated iPad 64GB (lightning, FaceTime HD + A6 or A6x + new speaker system) = $699

All with 3G options.

Kill iPad 2.

• Reply 20 of 165

Quote:

Anyone is going to start the price debate again?

$349

but if it were at $299, at the price of the iPod Touch, doesn't mean both couldn't be successful. The two can serve different purposes.