Did Apple change the shell in 10.2?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I hadn't noticed it before but there seem to be little discrepancies between the terminal in 10.1 and 10.2. For example when viewing man pages, 10.1 would display what percentage of the total page had been viewed. In 10.2 it doesn't do that. Also, entering "bill gates" just returns "command not found", instead of trying to guess the command.

Did I miss something...?

(-- by 10.2 I mean "on my computer". Which happens to be running 10.2.2.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I dont think the % when viewing man files is part of the shell. Its part of the more program that displays files.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And, the changed the default shell from tcsh to bash, to be more BSD compliant.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    [quote] And, the changed the default shell from tcsh to bash, to be more BSD compliant. <hr></blockquote>

Ah, thank you.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>And, the changed the default shell from tcsh to bash, to be more BSD compliant.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No they didn't. They switched off some of the bonus features of the shell from the Athena project.

read this to fix it: <a href="http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020826003806202"; target="_blank">macosxhints</a>

They also updated a barrel-load of the little programs that make up the command line environment. This probably accounts for any minor differences you notice.

Also they updated the Terminal.app so some of the preferences are different and they added the ability to split the window in two so you can scroll back in the history and still see what you are typing.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote] They switched off some of the bonus features of the shell from the Athena project. <hr></blockquote>

Ah, thank you.