Rumored 'iPad mini' event to focus on iBooks, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Shortly after it was reported that Apple is "likely" to unveil a 7.85-inch iPad at an as-yet-unannounced event on Oct. 23, a separate report claims the alleged product announcement will focus on the purported tablet's e-book capabilities.

iBooks 2

According to "multiple sources," Apple's rumored "iPad mini" special event is expected to showcase the unannounced device's media support, especially in regard to iBooks, suggesting the company is planning on marketing the tablet as a content consumption vehicle, reports The Next Web.

Led by Amazon's Kindle Fire, the small form factor tablet market has seen success by luring in a wide base of users with low-cost devices to push content sales. Pundits speculate that Apple will take a similar tack and offer the iPad mini at a price comparable to rival offerings like Google's Nexus 7, boosting margins by leveraging content sales from iTunes.

The sources' claims are in line with previous reports saying that Apple is attempting to keep the unit's retail price down by using a non-Retina display, as well as other relatively low-cost components.

Earlier this week it was reported that Apple had tasked its Asian suppliers to build over ten million iPad minis for the fourth quarter, signaling the company's confidence in high sales for the holiday shopping season.

It is rumored that Apple will unveil the iPad mini at an event on Oct. 23, with a product rollout expected to follow shortly after.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    The new "iBook" instead of "iPad mini"?
  • Reply 2 of 131
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Wasn't that the same focus they put on the original iPad?

• Reply 3 of 131
    Pundits. What do they know for sure?
  • Reply 4 of 131
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    C'mon Apple do this right and make the fire and nexus 7 look cheap (and not in a good way). If they start competing in a race to the bottom they dilute their brand. If Apple is going to compete on price I fear we'll get an inferior quality device so Apple can sell it cheap yet make decent margins on it.
  • Reply 5 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The new "iBook" instead of "iPad mini"?

I doubt it, but I would much prefer iBook over iPad mini as I've posted previously.

gatorguy wrote: »
    Wasn't that the same focus they put on the original iPad?

Not really. It was included, as an App Store app, not as a default app, when they announced the iPad in 2010, and they didn't even have iBooks Author until January of this year.
  • Reply 6 of 131
    Then it better NOT be a backlit glossy LED screen (retina or not) because as any Kindle reader will tell you - that's an epic FAIL for book reading.
  • Reply 7 of 131
    isheldon wrote: »
    Then it better NOT be a backlit glossy LED screen (retina or not) because as any Kindle reader will tell you - that's an epic FAIL for book reading.

Because anyone that uses "epic fail" is someone we can trust to have a reasonable and balanced opinion¡
  • Reply 8 of 131
    It simply cannot compete with the new innovative, groundbreaking PaperWhite display of a KindlePW
    unless someone here can tell me how? That is for book reading.
  • Reply 9 of 131
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Because anyone that uses "epic fail" is someone we can trust to have a reasonable and balanced opinion¡

As opposed to anyone who condescendingly writes post after post of anything but a constructive rebuttal?
  • Reply 10 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not really. It was included, as an App Store app, not as a default app, when they announced the iPad in 2010, and they didn't even have iBooks Author until January of this year.

It still is just another app in the App Store right? I think there is some legal or monopoly avoidance issue as to why it is not a core app.

If this is made for reading I don't think they can skimp out on the screen quality.

• Reply 11 of 131
    If you expect the iPad mini to have anything other than the same kind of LED screen than the iPad and iPhones have, you're delusional.

The e-ink Kindle is a single use device, so it has the luxury of being able to just be the best thing for reading. The iPad (and presumably Mini) is multi-use: video, games, internet... Which e-ink does not do so well.

I'm sure Apple is quite happy to let Amazon have the sub-$100 e-ink reader market.
  • Reply 12 of 131
    mstone wrote: »
    It still is just another app in the App Store right? I think there is some legal or monopoly avoidance issue as to why it is not a core app.

I wonder about that.
    If this is made for reading I don't think they can skimp out on the screen quality.

Was the original iPad at 132 PPI bad for reading? Was the iPhone 3GS at 163 PPI bad for reading? Now I get why people have stated that it will be 7.85" as it will allow Apple to use their 163 PPI process and get a 1024x768 display which means that pre-iPad (3) apps will look alright and iPhone apps will do 1x at the exact same size and 2x reasonably. They will still optimize the UI for the display and update Xocde accordingly but it will be the best way to lessen the upset.

Now, this has all been speculation. It makes sense that Apple would consider going this route but that also means it's something others could have conceived because it's the path of least resistance, so who knows.

Personally, I think it's going to happen. I also doubt I'd buy on based on the rumors.
  • Reply 13 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

It simply cannot compete with the new innovative, groundbreaking PaperWhite display of a KindlePW

unless someone here can tell me how? That is for book reading.

We are into an 'apple and pears' (pun sort of intended) argument here. The iPad is a multi-functional device whereas the Kindle (in all its forms) is for reading books, so we really shouldn't be comparing them. As far as 'innovative, groundbreaking' goes I think that's a bit extreme see http://daringfireball.net/2012/10/kindle_paperwhite

• Reply 14 of 131
    I have to agree with isheldon about the screen. I LOVE my iPad and all things iPad, but for reading, the Kindle can't be beat and I'm very tempted to buy a Kindle PaperWhite once they are available in Canada (where I live).

However, if the new iPad had a screen similar to that, I'd be thrilled.
  • Reply 15 of 131
    We are into an 'apple and pears' (pun sort of intended) argument here. The iPad is a multi-functional device wheres the Kindle (in all its forms) is for reading books, so we really shouldn't be comparing them. As far as 'innovative, groundbreaking' goes I think that's a bit extreme see http://daringfireball.net/2012/10/kindle_paperwhite

Au contraire- Not at all- you should read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/technology/personaltech/kindles-paperwhite-e-reader-lets-there-be-more-light-review.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • Reply 16 of 131
    I have to agree with isheldon about the screen. I LOVE my iPad and all things iPad, but for reading, the Kindle can't be beat and I'm very tempted to buy a Kindle PaperWhite once they are available in Canada (where I live).
    However, if the new iPad had a screen similar to that, I'd be thrilled.

And I wholeheartedly agree. If Apple can top it screenwise- I would buy. We shall see.
  • Reply 17 of 131

Quote:

I wonder about that.

Was the original iPad at 132 PPI bad for reading? Was the iPhone 3GS at 163 PPI bad for reading? Now I get why people have stated that it will be 7.85" as it will allow Apple to use their 163 PPI process and get a 1024x768 display which means that pre-iPad (3) apps will look alright and iPhone apps will do 1x at the exact same size and 2x reasonably. They will still optimize the UI for the display and update Xocde accordingly but it will be the best way to lessen the upset.

Now, this has all been speculation. It makes sense that Apple would consider going this route but that also means it's something others could have conceived because it's the path of least resistance, so who knows.

Personally, I think it's going to happen. I also doubt I'd buy on based on the rumors.

Now that we've been spoiled by Retina or HiDPi displays, the answer to your questions is YES, the original iPad & iPhone 3GS are bad for reading.  The iPad Mini with a 326dpi 2048x1536 display would be killer. I'd be first in line to buy one.  Once you go retina there's no going back, at least not for me.

• Reply 18 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Was the original iPad at 132 PPI bad for reading? Was the iPhone 3GS at 163 PPI bad for reading? 

I did not have a problem with the original iPad however I did not use it for any lengthy period of time and I often zoomed in and out if the type was too small, so I didn't really notice a huge difference when upgrading to the iPad 3 however after getting my retina MBP there is a noticeable difference perhaps because I've used it for extended periods of time and it is a lot easier to read small type.

• Reply 19 of 131
    Funny I use my iPad to read books all the time. I'm guessing people use the Fire and Nexus 7 for that purpose too. I guess we're all epic failures? :lol:
  • Reply 20 of 131
    Now that we've been spoiled by Retina or HiDPi displays, the answer to your questions is YES, the original iPad & iPhone 3GS are bad for reading.  The iPad Mini with a 326dpi 2048x1536 display would be killer. I'd be first in line to buy one.  Once you go retina there's no going back, at least not for me.
    Me too. Once you have retina there's no going back.