EPEAT finds MacBook Air conforms to 'green' standard after review

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
EPEAT on Friday released the results of an investigation regarding the environmental friendliness of "ultra-thin" laptops initiated shortly after Apple announced it was pulling out of the ratings system, finding that the tested devices conformed to so-called "green" standards, including the MacBook Air.

MacBook Air EPEAT
Apple's MacBook Air webpage shows an EPEAT Gold rating. | Source: Apple

The government-backed EPEAT (Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool) announced that five "ultra-thin" notebooks made by Apple, Lenovo,Samsung and Toshiba, met the assessment's criteria and were subsequently deemed to be in conformance with the "green rating" system's standards.

"EPEAT is committed to foster greener electronics and to give purchasers the tools to evaluate green claims," said EPEAT CEO Robert Frisbee. "The system's rigorous environmental assessment processes result from a powerful stakeholder collaboration that includes purchasers, environmental advocates, government, manufacturer, recycler and academic participants. This latest series of stringent investigations demonstrates the power of that approach."

According to the group, specific areas of concern were product upgradability, use of components that don't require exotic tools to upgrade, and "materials of concern" like batteries that can be easily removed from a computer's housing.
To ensure the integrity of the registry, EPEAT undertook a number of fundamental inquiries. These included:
  • A request for formal clarification of the standard requirements from the independent Product Verification Committee (PVC) ? a group of experts on electronics and environmental issues who provide interpretation of conformity requirements and rule on verification findings.
  • A comprehensive review of publicly available technical information for notebook products in the EPEAT registry.
  • An independent verification investigation for those products where public information did not resolve questions of potential nonconformance.
For the verification investigation, EPEAT contracted with a technical test lab to independently purchase these devices on the open market, and disassemble them according to the instructions provided.
First started in July, EPEAT's test came directly after Apple requested 39 of its computers be removed from the standard-setting group's registry of environmentally friendly products. The company quickly reversed its decision following an outpouring of criticism, but failed to offer an explanation as to why it pulled the products in the first place.

At the time, it was speculated that the move was tied to Apple's newly-released MacBook Pro with Retina display, the design of which was inconsistent with EPEAT's requirements regarding recyclability.

"[Apple] said their design direction was no longer consistent with the EPEAT requirements," Frisbee said of Apple's decision to pull its products. "They were important supporters and we are disappointed that they don't want their products measured by this standard anymore."

Apple, along with advocacy groups and government agencies, helped create EPEAT's standards.

EPEAT

It should be noted that while the Retina-toting MacBook Pro was never submitted for EPEAT approval and was not part of the most recent assessment, the device still holds an EPEAT Gold rating according to Apple's website.

Although controversy may still surround the top-of-the-line MacBook Pro, it appears that changes made to the newest MacBook Air's design, including the move away from glued-in batteries, fall within the guidelines of EPEAT's standards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Wow. What a surprise! /s

Fools.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Surprise, surprise¡
  • Reply 3 of 15

For me it is just that much more hype for the green crowd. It is a reason to not buy that computer. Most green items actually hurt the environment when the totality of the methods used to manufaqcture it are considered. I am disappointed with Apple for bowing down to this crowd of thugs.

• Reply 4 of 15
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple's ultra-thin laptops conform to their standards?

Thank God.

Because Apple really hates to epeat themselves.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Crowbar beats glue.

Good for recycling, not so good for repairing.

• Reply 6 of 15

A great surprise! Whoa!

• Reply 7 of 15
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

Most of the items ?

I would not be so bold as to say this.

And Apple does the best possible job on their products.

Yes, they are made in China, but so is our Money that Obama is spending.

• Reply 8 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    hvance wrote: »
    For me it is just that much more hype for the green crowd. It is a reason to not buy that computer. Most green items actually hurt the environment when the totality of the methods used to manufaqcture it are considered. I am disappointed with Apple for bowing down to this crowd of thugs.

I don't think Apple did any 'bowing down'. They haven't changed anything about their designs to fit this standard. If anything, their stunt caused a lot of talk about these standards and perhaps this review period was just a cover for EPEAT to change the rules but not look like they caved.

Think about it, Apple was one of their biggest supporters, losing them from the list would sting. Epecially when Apple pulled the machines that did fit the rule, basically saying they think this standard is pointless bunk. Mansfield and his apology might have been a planned part of the game
  • Reply 9 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Crowbar beats glue.

The use of adhesives did not stop iFixit. They used a hair dryer to heat the glue, then a pry. I'm surprised EPEAT doesn't ding Apple for using tiny pentalobe screws. "Oh no, pentalobe, whatever shall we do? Guess we can't recycle it."

• Reply 10 of 15
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Honestly I don't know why anyone should be recycling Apple products. They basically run forever. You should be donating them to us so we take them to Central America and give them to schools. Then the recycling issue is up to those people and believe me they won't ever end up in a land fill down there.

• Reply 11 of 15
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The use of adhesives did not stop iFixit. They used a hair dryer to heat the glue, then a pry. I'm surprised EPEAT doesn't ding Apple for using tiny pentalobe screws. "Oh no, pentalobe, whatever shall we do? Guess we can't recycle it."

• Reply 12 of 15

Quote:

The dancing banana is the stuff of nightmares...

• Reply 13 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The dancing banana is the stuff of nightmares...

Not really it is amazing!

• Reply 14 of 15
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

What a useless agency promoting an arbitray standard. Sounds like a 'solution' looking for a problem.

• Reply 15 of 15
    80025 wrote: »
    What a useless agency promoting an arbitray standard. Sounds like a 'solution' looking for a problem.

Agency? Hmmm Apple?