Purported 'iPad mini' display has same aspect ratio as full-size iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
New photos claiming to show a display panel for Apple's so-called "iPad mini," with an aspect ratio identical to the screen on Apple's traditional iPad.

Mini parts

Pictures of the component were published on Wednesday by ETrade Supply (via Nowhereelse.fr). The display panel measures nearly 8 inches across diagonally, and is 162 millimeters long, 124 millimeters wide.

While the resolution of the screen cannot be determined from the component, earlier rumors had suggested the display will be 1,024 by 768 pixels. That's the same resolution as the iPad 2, which would allow applications designed for the iPad to run natively on the iPad mini without modification.

Mini parts

Some recent iPad mini mockups had prompted speculation that the device could have a 16-to-9 ratio closer to that of the newly released iPhone 5. But the panel pictured on Wednesday has a 4-to-3 aspect ratio, matching that of the 9.7-inch iPad.

iPad mini mockups may appear to have a slightly longer display because they show a device with a thinner bezel to the left and right of the screen when held in portrait mode. It's expected that Apple's new iPad will have a thinner bezel to allow it to be held more easily with one hand.

Also included among the pictures is a battery claimed to be from Apple's iPad mini. The model number listed is "A1445," and it's rated as 3.72V, 16.7Whr, and 4490mAh.

Mini parts

The latest battery picture is joined by a previous leak that surfaced over the weekend, showing the same 16.7 watt-hour battery. The purported iPad mini part suggests Apple's battery will offer more energy than the cells found in Google's Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle Fire HD.

Apple is set to hold an event next Tuesday, Oct. 23, where it is expected to unveil the iPad mini. Invitations sent to members of the press this week promised that the company has "a little more to show you."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40

In other news, Purported iPad mini expected to run iOS. But seriously, I would assume that the "mini" would take design cues from the original rather than be a leader in aspect ratio changes.

• Reply 2 of 40

Hmm. Other than the lack of legit serial numbers and information on the sticker, I buy it. The sticker is Apple-style.

• Reply 3 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That makes sense. Of course it's the same aspect ratio as the full sized iPad!

Unlike Android tablets, iPads are made to be used both in portrait and in landscape.

16:9 on a tablet is not very useful for many purposes.

• Reply 4 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Not to mention it's just bad taste to use 16:9 in a tablet. Bad geometrical taste.

It's ok for a phone, of course, because that's a pants-pocket device that you thumb-type on.;)
  • Reply 5 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    "Apple wrote:
    Unlike Android tablets, iPads are made to be used both in portrait and in landscape.

16:9 on a tablet is not very useful for many purposes.
    If Apple is primarily targeting it as an e-reader based on the rumored "books" centric focus, I would agree.

However, Steve Jobs said a 7" tablet isn't useful for very many purposes unless you have sandpaper to file down your fingertips.

Apple has gone to 16:9 on both the iPhone 5 and iPod Touch. Further, they force portrait mode in a number of apps where I would much prefer landscape. And those devices aspect ratio works great for movies and games (arguably the primary market for a 7" tablet), as well as books. Reading a book on a 16:9 screen is much more efficient as I get much more text at a smaller screen size than I did before -- which translates to fewer page turns and more enjoyment reading.

Personally, thinking of the mini-tablet as a large iPod Touch makes more sense to me (and it strikes me that there's more of a market for that), than a mini-iPad, where Steve Jobs was probably absolutely right, it's just too small to be productive with office apps like pages and numbers, and even graphic apps like iMovie, garage band, and iPhoto. I see this as targeted primarily toward kids who can't afford an iPad, or can't get an iPhone, and right now have to choose between the far more limited Touch, or an Android device. While I haven't seen Apple's internal numbers for the Touch, it seems like a device that is fast being orphaned from Apple's ecosystem.
    AI wrote:
    It's expected that Apple's new iPad will have a thinner bezel to allow it to be held more easily with one hand.
    I still don't fully understand this. So, Apple expects people to cup it in their palms like an iPhone, wrapping their fingers and thumb around the edges? Great for most adults, but not so much for kids and those with smaller hands (for whom this mini may be targeted). But the thinner bezel does not allow it to be easily held with one hand the way and iPad can be held using the thumb for leverage on the bezel. Even in the mockups, it was impossible to hold the empty props with one hand this way without the thumb coming in contact with the screen, and the mini will presumably have a bit more heft. I suppose its possible Apple may have come up with some new accidental input algorithms that cancel out a thumb on the edge when a finger presses elsewhere. On the other hand, it makes the mini look identical to the Nexus 7 tablet, which may cause confusion in the market place, among other problems.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Hmm. Other than the lack of legit serial numbers and information on the sticker, I buy it. The sticker is Apple-style.

It seems to have been pictured sitting on a blue smart cover though, the dimensions of which suggests this may be in fact the iPad Pico for use as a wrist watch.

I think these dimensions are a good choice - 8" at 1024 x 768, 4:3. It does mean that iPhone 5 apps at 1136 won't scale exactly to fit unless they run it at 1136 x 852 but if they did that, iPad apps would have to scale so it's probably best keeping the divide between the phones and the tablets and just let developers tackle each separately.
  • Reply 7 of 40

iPad 2 resolution, iPad 3 resoltion or new retina resolution?

I hope it's a new one :)

• Reply 8 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    In other news, Purported iPad mini expected to run iOS. But seriously, I would assume that the "mini" would take design cues from the original rather than be a leader in aspect ratio changes.

Agreed, it would only be news if it weren't the same ....
  • Reply 9 of 40
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

However, Steve Jobs said a 7" tablet isn't useful for very many purposes unless you have sandpaper to file down your fingertips.

Enough with this.... couldn't even finish your post because this is so annoying it derailed me.

He said it to sell a 9.7" iPad- that's it.  Period.  End of discussion.  What's he supposed to say?  7" tablets are good, but 9.7" is better?  Seriously... 

• Reply 10 of 40

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

He said it to sell a 9.7" iPad- that's it.  Period.  End of discussion.

Shame you're so completely wrong about that.

• Reply 11 of 40

If you can use a nano, you can use something bigger than a nano.

• Reply 12 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Steve Jobs said a 7" tablet isn't useful for very many purposes unless you have sandpaper to file down your fingertips.

Totally with Andysol, here. We have to let go of this crapola. Steve said a lot of things but nothing he ever said was intended to be set in stone. If it was Apple would be nowhere. At the time he was selling the iPad which came in one size only, and most things Steve Jobs ever said was heavily influenced by his 'inner salesman'. I don't think he ever lied, per se, but he knew how to focus your attention. Since then the world has changed and now Apple is bringing out a smaller iPad. Remember that at the time the Apple was selling millions of the much smaller iPhone, which turned out to be quite useful in spite of the much smaller screen.

• Reply 13 of 40

Am I the only one that also wants a 15"+ iPad to be made?

• Reply 14 of 40

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Totally with Andysol, here. We have to let go of this crapola.

But what he said is wrong.

Originally Posted by MusicComposer View Post

I would buy a 15" iPad in a heartbeat. It could be three pounds and I'd still buy it, but I don't figure they'll make one until they can get it under 2 pounds.

• Reply 15 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Totally with Andysol, here. We have to let go of this crapola. Steve said a lot of things but nothing he ever said was intended to be set in stone. If it was Apple would be nowhere. At the time he was selling the iPad which came in one size only, and most things Steve Jobs ever said was heavily influenced by his 'inner salesman'. I don't think he ever lied, per se, but he knew how to focus your attention. Since then the world has changed and now Apple is bringing out a smaller iPad. Remember that at the time the Apple was selling millions of the much smaller iPhone, which turned out to be quite useful in spite of the much smaller screen.

Steve also told his people to think for themselves, not ask WWSJD.

His biography made it clear that he was quick to realize when he was wrong, and that this was a strength of his. The trolls on this forum are hoping to turn this into some kind of issue. Changing his mind wasn't a problem for Steve, but it seems to be a problem for some people on this forum.

• Reply 16 of 40

Heck I have been predicting a 30" one day, albeit designed to use on a desk top or stand (almost horizontal of course) not exactly ultra portable. lol Imagine Garage Band 2014... drool.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    paxman wrote: »

Agreed, everything has a time and place, plus SJ was quite capable of misdirection when required too.

I'm still half expecting a Dick Tracy nano iPhone one day.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I anyone surprised?
  • Reply 19 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Missing from the AI story but reported by the original source, the display is said to be supplied by LG.

• Reply 20 of 40
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicComposer View Post

You are not alone.  Bigger is gooder.  I have no interest in the iPad as it exists now -- for what I do a laptop is still the best tool for the job -- but I would be interested in a big one.  Especially if Adobe made a version of Illustrator for it, and someone offered a pen option!