URGENT: Jaguar having some major problems....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
First of all is a recent thing that just started happening. When I want to delete a program or document or move it to the trash, its giving me a message that so and so cannot be deleted or removed. Also, I downloaded a program called HexEdit to modify my boot image, and now HexEdit wants to open up everything for me. Next, whenever I try terminal commands in the terminal they always bugger up and say it cant locate it or what not. Lastly a lot of my apps like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc. seem as though they arent acting right. A lot of the stuff is darkened and I cant select it.

I have a program on here called Virex 7 (I think) and Ive run it to try and diagnose any problems but whenever Ive tried it just acts up and doesnt respond, thus causing me to have to force quit the application.

Oh and last, whenever I download anything now I cant even save it to the desktop. ALso, a lot of stuff asks me for a program to open it all the time when it shouldnt.

Anyone know what the heck I can do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Drastic solution (which always works): wipe your drive and start afresh.

Less drastic solution: run disk utility from the jaguar installer disk and run repair disk and repair privileges. If you have something like Norton Systemworks or Drive whatever, you might try that.

As you say it, however, it does seem like many things in your system have bent over and ... well. I don't know if there is an easy solution to your problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    try repairing your permissions first.

To do this, start up on your Jaguar CD, and select "Repair Drive" or something like that on the first screen that appears.

HTH
  • Reply 3 of 4
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Dont worry I didnt risk the HexEdit thingie. I did go and reset the permissions and that fixed the deleting/moving things to trash problem, but I still have all the other problems.

One I forgot to mention before is that Ive tried to use Project Builder but when I start it up it pops up in the dock and then just disappears.

Im not sure if I wanna reinstall the OS while Im here......that would take me back to 10.2 and I cant update it back here because Im on dial up that disconnects me. I actually tried to use Drive once and it wasnt working.