Setting up a wireless network in Windows XP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I knew the differences between XP and Jaguar were marked, but the degree never hit me until I had to set up a wireless network in XP. I just can't believe how much trouble I am having. Here's the story: I have no technical windows experience at all. I'm used to just plugging the ****ing AirPort basestation into the ****ing wall and having it work. Well, apparently things aren't that simple on the windows side. Here's what's there: D-Link 2.4 Ghz 802.11b base station (WAN/WLAN cables), Cable Modem, Dell computer. I JUST WANT THE ****ING DELL to work while wired to the ****ing d-link base station! I assume my girlfriend's trusty iBook will just pick up the signal like it would when it's at my house. My question is:

How the **** do I set up a wireless network in windows? I have no idea how to sort through all these network "wizards" that have all the power of a castrated merlin. **** that! Anyone mind to help me sort out my windows nightmare problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Uh, it was plu-n-play for me.

I assume you have dynamic IP?

Plug WAN port of router to cable modem, fire up your PC, configure to the PC to use DHCP (CTRL panel, network, TCP/IP). And you should be set if everything is on default. Of course, I would change it, add WEP, and all that for security reasons.

On your PC, open up a DOS window (Start>Run>CMD). Type in ipconfig. What IP do you see?