Apple launches new iBooks with auto scrolling, social sharing, new languages

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday unveiled a new version of iBooks that adds new features such as sharing of content through social networks, a new scrolling theme, and new language support.

The new iBooks 3.0 is now available on the App Store as a free download for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Along with support for 40 new languages, the update comes with a new scrolling feature that transforms content into an unpaginated format which can be scrolled through with a "flick."

Unlike the previous version, iBooks version 3.0 allows users to view past purchases directly from the bookshelf, much like the corresponding function found in iTunes. Users can download previous purchases without having to go into the iBookstore portal.

For students, the new iBooks offers persistently updated content, meaning textbooks and any other books that are updated can be downloaded for free.

Also new is the the ability to share quotes and notes via Twitter or Facebook. Snippets can also be sent through iMessage or email.

Apple noted during its special event on Tuesday that it now has over 1.5 million books in the iBookstore, and that customers have downloaded 400 million iBooks since its opening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    What we need is a version of iBooks that will support audio books so that they can be annotated just like the text books.
  • Reply 2 of 11

Who wants to bet this doesn't work without iOS 6. 

WHO WANTS TO BET?!

• Reply 3 of 11
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who wants to bet this doesn't work without iOS 6. 

WHO WANTS TO BET?!

Me! I’ll bet! $3 says iOS 5 keeps the same old iBooks, iOS 6 gets the new version.

Luckily, prices on iOS updates have really come down in recent years.

• Reply 4 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Why do they refuse to offer iBooks for Mac? Minus that, it would be nice to have at least a simulator for iDevices so developing iBooks Author didn't require an iDevice to run a preview.

• Reply 5 of 11

Um...

Auto-Scrolling?

What's that?

Oh,

I know,

It must track the movement of my eyes to smoothly scroll content vertically as I progress so I am never required to tap the screen for new pages.

Right,

That doesn't need to be cleared up at all.

• Reply 6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Um...

Auto-Scrolling?

What's that?

Oh,

I know,

It must track the movement of my eyes to smoothly scroll content vertically as I progress so I am never required to tap the screen for new pages.

Right,

That doesn't need to be cleared up at all.

I was wondering that too and what you described would be awesome

• Reply 7 of 11
    … Where is it? I don't see it in the App Store yet.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Apparently iBooks is not the killer app otherwise there would be more than 8 post in this thread

• Reply 9 of 11
    There was not a single word about automatic scrolling on Apple presentation. There is NO automatic scrolling in iBooks.
  • Reply 10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by shermergor View Post

There was not a single word about automatic scrolling on Apple presentation. There is NO automatic scrolling in iBooks.

Nothing automatic, no.

I checked it out, though.

You can set to scrolling and do it by hand, but it scrolls kind of choppy, and that's on an iPhone 5.

It must be terrible on the 3GS.

I'll be sticking to page turning...

• Reply 11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apparently iBooks is not the killer app otherwise there would be more than 8 post in this thread

I was really excited about the scrolling update...

Until I tried it...