iPad with keyboard to AppleTV

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I was wondering if this was possible, if anyone has this working. Can I connect a wireless keyboard to my iPad, then mirror to my TV via AppleTV and write pages docs, surf the web etc thru mirroring? So sort of use the iPad as a PC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by twosee View Post

I was wondering if this was possible, if anyone has this working. Can I connect a wireless keyboard to my iPad, then mirror to my TV via AppleTV and write pages docs, surf the web etc thru mirroring? So sort of use the iPad as a PC.

Works for some apps natively and perhaps all apps when mirrored.  YMMV as to how well this actually works since there have been complaints that Pages sometimes lags when using a BT keyboard.

Keynote I think would try to treat it as if you were presenting but I'm not near my aTV to try out.

I think that Apple and app devs could make this work better but it's kinda an edge case until then.  Ideally you would have a 1080p 21" or 24" monitor with airplay built in and the ability to use the iPad as a trackpad/input panel for the app.  

Maybe an induction charging mat to put the iPad on so it could be charging as you used it as a trackpad without needing any other cables.

• Reply 2 of 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by twosee View Post

You may see some lag depending on your wifi but yes you can. I've done it in business meetings, with and without the keyboard factor. 

1. if you don't have a password on your wifi, do it. Otherwise some neighbor prankster could hijack your Apple TV

2. you need to go into your Apple TV and enable Airplay if you haven't. I suggest putting a password on that also if there's anyone else in the house. Otherwise they might accidentally hijack the connection

3. On the ipad, make sure you are on the wifi with the password in. Then go to the multitask bar and swipe over to the music controls. You should see the Airplay arrow. hit it, select Apple TV and then Mirror on. put in the password when asked. Whatever you do on the iPad will appear on the screen sans a few video apps that have airplay blocked

• Reply 3 of 3

I pad is my favourite

The recent released Sharksucker Keyboard Case for iPad from JSXL Technology is not just a keyboard case,it also address your concerns over the battery life of your iPad or iPhone or iPod.