Final Cut Pro X gets significant update with new features & RED camera support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple's professional video editing software Final Cut Pro X was given a sizable update on Tuesday, adding new features like the ability to expand multichannel audio files in a timeline, as well as support for RED cameras and native REDCODE RAW editing.

Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.6 is now available on the Mac App Store. The update is free for existing users, while new customers can purchase the software for $299.99.

Version 10.0.6 is a 1.53-gigabyte download that requires OS X 10.6.8 or later. It gives users the ability to precisely edit individual audio channels directly in the timeline.

A new unified import window is also included, allowing users to transfer media from both file-based cameras and folders of files. And a redesigned "Share" interface has been implemented, giving users the ability to export projects and range selections to one or more destinations.

The Final Cut Pro X update also includes RED camera support with native REDCODE Raw editing, as well as optional background transcode to Apple ProRes. Below are the full list of other features and fixes in Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6 provided by Apple:
  • MXF plug-in support that allows you to work natively with MXF files from import through delivery using third-party plug-ins
  • Dual viewers, each with a video scope display, let you compare shots to match action and color
  • Option to add chapter markers in the timeline for export to video files, DVD, and Blu-ray disc
  • Range selection now preserves start and end points in the Event Browser and allows you to create multiple range selections on a single clip
  • Paste attributes window lets you choose specific effects to copy between clips
  • Flexible Clip Connections allow you to keep Connected Clips in place when slipping, sliding or moving clips in the Primary Storyline
  • Add a freeze frame to your timeline with a single keystroke
  • Drop shadow effect with intuitive onscreen controls to adjust position, edge falloff, angle, and more
  • New controls for combining audio from multiple angles within a Multicam Clip
  • Compound Clip creation in the timeline now saves the clip in the Event Browser for re-use in other projects
  • XML 1.2 featuring metadata import and export for richer integration with third-party apps

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    And here come the silent surprises....
  • Reply 2 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I can't wait to try rendering 5k video on my MBP. EEeeek!

Now I really do believe Apple must have a new Mac Pro in the works.
  • Reply 3 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You thought Tim Cook was lying when he said a new Mac Pro would be out in early 2013?

• Reply 4 of 24
    Awesome update. I look forward to the Mac Pro. Buy both and they will tide me over for 4 years with only continued investment in add-ons.
  • Reply 5 of 24

Quote:

This made my day with this news knowing Apple is serious about a Workstation by putting as much into Final Cut Pro X to win back supporters.

• Reply 6 of 24
    You thought Tim Cook was lying when he said a new Mac Pro would be out in early 2013?

If you put it that way ... no I didn't. I was being semi (obviously less than successfully) humorous as it relates to how exasperated pro video folk have been with the lack of Mac Pro updates although I suspect Intel are more to blame than anyone. 5K RAW on anything else would be problematic I'm sure you'd agree. 8-)
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Yep, in may ways it was the biggest news of the day for many ... and quite out of the blue for me at any rate!
  • Reply 8 of 24

Christmas came early today.

• Reply 9 of 24

I haven't bought FCP X yet, but this dual viewers thing is interesting.  Will be looking out for screenshots or YouTube Videos that show it.  Sounds like they're really working to get feature parity up to FCP 7, though I'm sure someone will point out that there's still a lot of stuff missing.  Hopefully they can get back to being one of the industry standards as they had been with FCP 7, I really like Final Cut.

• Reply 10 of 24

Quote:

If you put it that way ... no I didn't. I was being semi (obviously less than successfully) humorous as it relates to how exasperated pro video folk have been with the lack of Mac Pro updates although I suspect Intel are more to blame than anyone. 5K RAW on anything else would be problematic I'm sure you'd agree. image

The current MacPro is still a good machine. Not the bottom end 4-core version, that's just a waste of money. But the next model up (the Uni-Processor W3680 6-core Xeon with 1333MHz RAM) has the same performance as the Equivalent and current 6-core Sandy Bridge model (E5-2640). USB3 PCIe cards can be dropped into the Mac Pro, thunderbolt isn't very widespread yet and Drivers for loads of graphics cards are within OSX Mountain Lion. Cards like the nVidia GeForce GTX 670 Desktop work out the box, as does the 560Ti with CUDA support when the drivers from nVidia are installed. There's even kexts for AMD 6000 and 7000 series cards in there as well, apparently.

I can see why Apple hasn't updated the MacPro yet; in real world usage there's not much difference to the current Sandy Bridge workstations and the current Pro can still be expanded to meet modern demands.

• Reply 11 of 24

I was actually putting off editing on a project shot on RED... now I can start post this weekend! image

• Reply 12 of 24
    The current MacPro is still a good machine. Not the bottom end 4-core version, that's just a waste of money. But the next model up (the Uni-Processor W3680 6-core Xeon with 1333MHz RAM) has the same performance as the Equivalent and current 6-core Sandy Bridge model (E5-2640). USB3 PCIe cards can be dropped into the Mac Pro, thunderbolt isn't very widespread yet and Drivers for loads of graphics cards are within OSX Mountain Lion. Cards like the nVidia GeForce GTX 670 Desktop work out the box, as does the 560Ti with CUDA support when the drivers from nVidia are installed. There's even kexts for AMD 6000 and 7000 series cards in there as well, apparently.

I can see why Apple hasn't updated the MacPro yet; in real world usage there's not much difference to the current Sandy Bridge workstations and the current Pro can still be expanded to meet modern demands.

Yes I agree, Apple have no real way to upgrade until Intel release their next generation workstation chips and yes adding Xeon cores is working well enough for current needs. But a major, a really mind boggling upgrade that no one expects would be nice wouldn't it? Especially with 5k video in the game. I always hoped Apple would buy Cray ;)
  • Reply 13 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Quote:

This made my day with this news knowing Apple is serious about a Workstation by putting as much into Final Cut Pro X to win back supporters.

This is really big...  I was hoping for an iMac bump and FCP X upgrade -- got both!  The iMac is configurable to 32 GB RAM... 

This leaves very little for the FCP X nay-sayers to whine about -- got more function updates in 18 months than FCP had in 3 years.

I'll bet that some of the quick-to-change [to Avid or Adobe] editors are regretting their overreaction!

• Reply 14 of 24
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Thanks. Now I feel better that my 12-core is still up to par. After the news of my ancient iPad 3 I was feeling a bit blue. image

• Reply 15 of 24
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

This is nice.  I can open up the import window without having to load every camera archive in my library.  And this upgrade allows me to again use my own somewhat unusual workflow method when dealing with multiple video clips over a single bed of audio. 

I'm not going to engage in the soft bigotry of low expectations by getting all warm and fuzzy that they're updating their software like any good company would, but it is nice to see that this software is getting on it's feet. 

• Reply 16 of 24
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This leaves very little for the FCP X nay-sayers to whine about -- got more function updates in 18 months than FCP had in 3 years.

Some might say it needed more updates in 18 months than FCP needed in thre years image

Glad to see they're keeping up with support for emerging formats like RED.  That's going to keep them in the game.

• Reply 17 of 24
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Glad to see they're keeping up with support for emerging formats like RED.  That's going to keep them in the game.

I hope they take notice of BlackMagic camera as I can't afford RED

• Reply 18 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Send them a request in Radar: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/

I'd like to see this company products supported as well.

• Reply 19 of 24
    I remember Final Cut.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

...ummm The Black Magic Camera shoots Pro Res which is an apple created format that has been native to FCP since day one, and if you shooting RAW you need to put it into DaVinci anyways and that's included with the camera for free, so this is kind of a non-issue.