sharing a 2nd mac hd with pc on a network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all

i've got a bit of a problem, and can't find the answer anywhere. i've just installed a second internal hard disk on my G4 osX 10.2.2 which has got all my mp3's and files on. I want to be able to share this drive with my pc's connected on a home network. Problem is, I can't find out how to share any other folder/drive on the mac other than the ones set up by default in osX so that I can see then on my XP pro pc's.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    2 steps... first make an alias of the HD you want to share and place it in the public folder of the user you are currently logged into with OS X

then, right click (cntrl click) on the HD and get info on it (you can also use command-I from the finder when the HD is selected.

once in the get info window set the ownership permissions for "others" to read & write so that the PC can both read and write to the HD...

as for configuring the PC...if it can currently see your public folder...then I assume the alias is all you will need... but if this doesn't work... then I'm afraid I can't help you and you will have to wait for someone else's expert advice on the subject...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Just thinking out loud...

You could setup a new account on your Mac. Then you have to tell everyone the name and password for this account. Perhaps you could fiddle with some permissions so that this new account only has access to its home directory (which would be empty) and the second hard drive. Actually, since the second account would not be an administrator I think it would only have access to its own home directory unless permission to access something else was explicitly given.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You can do this in Terminal;

Open Terminal and type;

cd /etc

sudo pico smb.conf

----------------------------------------------------------

You'll be prompted for the password.

You should see the following with the exception of the lines in bold which I added for my system so I could access all volumes on the Mac when in Win2K;

-------------------------------------------------------------

[global]

client code page = 437

coding system = utf8

guest account = unknown

encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]

comment = User Home Directories

browseable = no

read only = no

create mode = 0750

[Bob Woods Computer]

comment = Root level of OSX-60

path = /

writable = yes

[volumes]

comment = CDs, disk images and network volumes

path = /Volumes

writable = yes

;[public]

; path = /tmp

; public = yes

; only guest = yes

; writable = yes

; printable = no

;[printers]

; comment = All Printers

; browseable = no

; printable = yes

; public = no

; writable = no

; create mode = 0700

-------------------------------------------------------------

When done making your changes, hit Control-O to write changes to disk and press Return when prompted for a file name. The hit Control-X to quit pico and close the Terminal window.