Apple releases OS X Mountain Lion update tailored to new Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
One day following the announcement of new iMac, MacBook Pro and Mac mini models, Apple on Wednesday released an OS X Mountain Lion update built specifically for those devices.

While the download is called OS X 10.8.2, just like the most recent update to Apple's current operating system for all other Macs, Wednesday's release is "for 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012)Mac mini (Late 2012)."

A quick look at the release notes doesn't yield much in the way of new information, possibly pointing to issues the new 2012 units are facing with some features in 10.8.2. Of note is the update's compatibility with the 21.5-inch iMac, a model that has yet to be released, though the no mention was made of the 27-inch version.

From the release notes:
About OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update for 13"Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012)Mac mini (Late 2012)
This update is recommended for all 13? MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012) and Mac mini (Late 2012) systems.
It includes all features and updates from OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 plus system-specific enhancements and fixes for Late 2012 systems.

New features include:
  • Facebook
  • Single sign on for Facebook
  • Facebook as an option when sharing links and photos
  • Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures in Contacts
  • Facebook notifications in Notification Center

Game Center
  • Share scores to Facebook, Twitter, Mail, or Messages
  • Facebook friends are included in Game Center friend recommendations
  • Facebook Like button for games
  • Challenge friends to beat your score or achievement
Other new features
  • Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
  • iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
  • From Safari and Mail on your Mac you can add passes to Passbook on your iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 6
  • New shared Reminders lists
  • FaceTime now receives calls sent to your phone number
  • New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
  • Dictation now supports Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian English, Canadian French, and Italian
  • The Dictionary application now includes a French definition dictionary
  • Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to Contacts

This update also includes general operating system fixes that improve the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac, including the following fixes:
An option to discard the changes in the original document when choosing Save AsUnsent drafts are opened automatically when launching MailReceive Twitter notifications for mentions and replies from anyoneURLs are shortened when sending tweets from Notification CenterNotifications are disabled when AirPlay Mirroring is being usedSSL support for Google searches from the Smart Search Field in SafariNew preference to have Safari launch with previously open webpagesGraphics performance and reliability enhancementsUSB 3 reliability enhancements
The update weighs in at 654.49MB and can be downloaded via the Mac App Store or Apple's Support Downloads webpage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16

Updates for computers that, at most, won't be in people's hands for another month and a half. Why not just apply this silently before launch?

• Reply 2 of 16
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Updates for computers that, at most, won't be in people's hands for another month and a half. Why not just apply this silently before launch?

The new minis are available today.

• Reply 3 of 16

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

The new minis are available today.

Oh, right, right. Funny how we didn't get any leaks when they were already in production. Maybe they really don't sell that many… 

• Reply 4 of 16
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Unrelated... did anyone else get an email indicating that all iMac's sold from 2009-2011 are being recalled for HDD replacement?

iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program

• Reply 5 of 16
    ``An option to discard the changes in the original document when choosing Save As''

We discussed this amongst some alumni who forwarded it to the dev team.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I get the feeling nobody cares about the Mini.    

:

Oh, right, right. Funny how we didn't get any leaks when they were already in production. Maybe they really don't sell that many… 

Well Mini sales have been slipping over the years.   Sadly iMac is the only stable platform, sales wise, they have and they screwed up delivery of the next model there.  

The Mini is an extremely frustrating device this go around, Apple put Ivy Bridge into the mix and by that measure the machine is vastly improved.   Then they pulled the GPU which makes for a far more limited audience for the platform.   I really don't see Mac Mini sales exploding this go around.   It is a bit of a shame really. 

• Reply 7 of 16

My 15in rMBP just had an OSX update too, tiny in size, for RAW images? unless that's old and just getting to me now. 

• Reply 8 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain View Post

Unrelated... did anyone else get an email indicating that all iMac's sold from 2009-2011 are being recalled for HDD replacement?

It's not all - my iMac isn't eligible.

Apple has determined that certain Seagate 1TB hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

• Reply 9 of 16

Actually, there were stories posted on the rumor sites saying updated minis.  I figured it was at least a 50/50 shot that they were going to get updated yesterday -- I was actually surprised they mentioned it during the event, though.  Figured they would just do a silent upgrade on the website instead.

But notice the things that were generally considered surprises -- 4th gen iPad and new iMac.  I think the 4th gen iPad went under the radar because it's mostly the same as the 3rd gen iPad, but with A6X and new cameras. I think most people were expecting possibly a 3.1 revision where Apple just started shipping 3rd gen iPads with Lightning connectors. The surprise was them using an A6X instead of A5X.

As for the iMacs, those aren't even shipping for a while -- I think they kept this secret because they haven't started any manufacturing yet on them.  Almost certainly there would've been some kind of leak of the new case design if it had been released to manufacturing.

Finally, the minis were another thing that didn't have photos -- but then again, the mini design is exactly the same as last year's design, but with an Ivy Bridge inside.  If someone would've leaked the design of the new mini out, who would've even noticed that it was something other than what we already had?

• Reply 10 of 16
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

I'm buying two of the $799 model.  So that's half of them right there.  LOL!

Kidding aside, were there leaks about the new anorexic iMacs?

• Reply 11 of 16
    Is anyone else annoyed by the "FaceBook, now with OS X Mountain Lion integration" at every turn like I am?

I would LIKE to use FaceBook -- seems like a nice way to post pictures and stay in touch with family and friends. But it seems like having a video camera in the bedroom networked with a "pay-per-view" scheme.

Good to hear their are updates -- but a LOT of the fixes are due to refining FaceBook. What they need is someway to Sandbox these sharing apps, and have an "integration service" coupled with some kind of firewall service, that COULD be used for FaceBook -- or anything else involving sharing media.

It reminds me too much of Microsoft embedding Active X and the browser into the OS to compete with Netscape (back in the day). And their number 1 source of viruses and script-kiddie mayhem was ActiveX and VBScript related.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    iTunes update!

Where are you???
  • Reply 13 of 16

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Kidding aside, were there leaks about the new anorexic iMacs?

Yeah, there was one, and it was legit. Came from China and it described the iMac virtually as we received it. 

• Reply 14 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They must be shipping with custom 10.8.1 then. Seems like they've been ready to go for a while...

• Reply 15 of 16

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They must be shipping with custom 10.8.1 then. Seems like they've been ready to go for a while...

10.8.2, you mean.

• Reply 16 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

10.8.2, you mean.

Well it's a 654MB download so it sounds to me like they are shipping with a custom 10.8.1 (new drivers) and this is their 10.8.2 update appearing (as happening to the rest of us some time ago).