Apple profits up nearly 25% on sales of 26.9M iPhones, 14M iPads, and 4.9M Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple said Thursday that fourth quarter profits rose nearly 25% to $8.2 billion, or $8.67 per diluted share, driven by sales of more 26.9 million iPhones, 14 million iPads and nearly 5 million Macs.

The company posted quarterly revenue of $36.0 billion and quarterly net profit of $8.2 billion, or $8.67 per diluted share, for the three-month period ending ended September 29, 2012. These results compare to revenue of $28.3 billion and net profit of $6.6 billion, or $7.05 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 40.0 percent compared to 40.3 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 60 percent of the quarter?s revenue.

Apple sold 26.9 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 58 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. It also sold 14.0 million iPads, a 26 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Mac sales continued to be robust at 4.9 million units, a 1 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. Meanwhile, sales of iPods continued their inevitable decline to just 5.3 million units, a 19 percent unit drop from the year-ago quarter.

"We're very proud to end a fantastic fiscal year with record September quarter results," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We're entering this holiday season with the best iPhone, iPad, Mac and iPod products ever, and we remain very confident in our new product pipeline."

Apple?s Board of Directors also declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share for the quarter. The dividend is payable on November 15, 2012, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on November 12, 2012.

"We're pleased to have generated over $41 billion in net income and over $50 billion in operating cash flow in fiscal 2012," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the first fiscal quarter of 2013, we expect revenue of about $52 billion and diluted earnings per share of about $11.75."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q4 2012 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PDT on October 25, 2012 at www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq412. AppleInsider will provide full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Great iPhone numbers!
  • Reply 2 of 91

Oh look the bears are already out... yawn. http://www.cnbc.com/id/49541938

• Reply 3 of 91
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Imagine what the Mac sales would have looked like if they'd not screwed up the Desktop refresh. Expect a nice climb in Mac sales for the next quarter.
  • Reply 4 of 91

This this scary! The next quarter is going to be huuuuuuugee!

• Reply 5 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Stock halted. I wonder how much of a dip it's going to take, when it opens soon again.

Since I got screwed last time, I decided to play it safe, and took all of my chips off the table this time.

I'm ready to move back in at a moment's notice.

• Reply 5 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    saarek wrote: »
    Imagine what the Mac sales would have looked like if they'd not screwed up the Desktop refresh. Expect a nice climb in Mac sales for the next quarter.

Screwed up?
  • Reply 7 of 91

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

To use a quote from someone else on another site, "An iMac is never late; it arrives precisely when it means to!"

• Reply 8 of 91
    So CNBC just called the numbers "disappointing" -- after beating all but the outlier-est estimates? Sheesh.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Funny how their conservative $52 billion in revenue is a disappointing outlook to the asshat that wrote that article.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Screwed up?

Well lets see, 18 month+ refresh time scale despite availability of the new generation CPU's months ago. No availability of the new iMacs and likely no 27" volume sales until December at the earliest etc etc.

Apple screwed up
  • Reply 11 of 91

I used to think the real reason Apple hoarded cash was it was the only way to force up the share price.

• Reply 12 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Stock halted. I wonder how much of a dip it's going to take, when it opens soon again.

Since I got screwed last time, I decided to play it safe, and took all of my chips off the table this time.

I'm ready to move back in at a moment's notice.

I actually hope it oversells a little bit by the morning. Makes a GREAT buying opportunity. :) Hedge accordingly.

• Reply 13 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Well lets see, 18 month+ refresh time scale despite availability of the new generation CPU's months ago. No availability of the new iMacs and likely no 27" volume sales until December at the earliest etc etc.
    Apple screwed up

How many other companies do you know who are reporting a 25% increase in profits this quarter and blowing away the earlier estimates?
  • Reply 14 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How many other companies do you know who are reporting a 25% increase in profits this quarter and blowing away the earlier estimates?

Well, Amazon and Google for two... oh... wait...

• Reply 15 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple screwed up

• Reply 16 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Relax.  I think he's just saying that it was a lost opportunity to have an even better quarter

• Reply 17 of 91

This is not pathetic, this is disturbingly pathologic!

What a jurk who wrote this article!
  • Reply 18 of 91
    jragosta wrote: »

My initial comment was regarding what the Mac sales could have been if they'd not dropped the ball on the desktop macs, I did not write off their achievement. The rest of their product line has done fantastically well and it has been an excellent quarter.
  • Reply 19 of 91
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Analysts are dicks, other companies would love to have those kind of figures.
  • Reply 20 of 91
    This is so idiotic - analysts who have scant inside information make guesses on profits and revenues. If a company matches these estimates or beat it by a penny, a stock ascends wildly. In this case, Apple is under the top estimates by < 1% and it's considered a disappointment?