Black and Slate 16GB iPad mini sells out in 35 hours

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After just 35 hours of preorder availability, Apple's online store on Saturday showed stock outs of the 16GB Wi-Fi only black and slate iPad mini, with the entry-level tablet joining all white and silver models which quickly sold out on launch day.

The Online Apple Store is now reflecting a two week delivery time for the smallest capacity black iPad mini, meaning the company has run through its initial supply as demand for the mid-size tablet continues.

iPad mini Supply

When the device was announced on Tuesday, some speculated that the mini's relatively high price tag would dissuade consumers from purchasing the premium tablet, especially given similarly sized products from competitors like Amazon and Google are priced far below Apple's $329 cost of entry. However, when iPad mini preorders went live on Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, it took mere minutes for all capacities of the white Wi-Fi only model to sell out.

It remains to be seen how the Wi-Fi + Cellular models have faired as those versions are set to ship in mid-November.

According to Apple design chief Jony Ive, the iPad mini condenses the features of a full-size iPad into small form factor, featuring a 7.9-inch display and thin 7.2-millimeter chassis that weighs only 0.68 pounds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is very interesting indeed since we haven't seen that with a new product from Apple in a long time.

I wonder if the same people that claim that Apple is holding back on production to generate hype (instead of a sale) and claim that Apple is big enough that it should have enough units available for every man, woman and child as soon as they go on sale regardless of the number of units being sold are going to be the same people that will inevitably be stating that Apple has lost its mojo, that the iPad mini is a flop, and that people simply don't want a hobbled, overpriced iPad when the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire are so much better.
  • Reply 2 of 130
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    They must've read my post in the other thread. Lol.

Gotta be honest- 35 hrs was surprisingly longer than I thought it would be- and the longest we've seen in a long long time for a new product.
  • Reply 3 of 130
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member

It's only two possible reasons:

Reason 1 - The android fanboys / basement dwellers will state that it sold-out because the millions upon millions of iSheep that like shiny new toys keeps the company going.

Reason 2 - The previously-mentioned fanboys will fabricate yet another statistic saying that having an Apple product taking 35 hours to sell out of any product implies that... wait for it... "Apple is doomed".

• Reply 4 of 130
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

How does that compare to the average length of time it takes to sell your iPad 1 on eBay and/or find a friend of relative to give/sell the aging device to so you can reduce the cost of the new device?

• Reply 5 of 130
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    andysol wrote: »
    They must've read my post in the other thread. Lol.

Gotta be honest- 35 hrs was surprisingly longer than I thought it would be- and the longest we've seen in a long long time for a new product.

Perhaps people got spooked by reports of scratches gouging right through the anodised layer? Although for myself I think the white/silver version looks nicer (also, I have a white iPhone 4 ;)) and would be prepared to wait for it to come back in stock. Roll on 2 November so I can go to the Apple Store and compare the iPad Minis and iPad 4-s :smokey:
  • Reply 6 of 130
    Here in Australia, the Black/Slate 16GB Wi-Fi model is still showing that it'll be delivered on 2 November.

The only models "sold out" are the White/Silver 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi.
  • Reply 7 of 130
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    Here in Australia, the Black/Slate 16GB Wi-Fi model is still showing that it'll be delivered on 2 November.

The only models "sold out" are the White/Silver 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi.

Does the LTE function support Oz in the new devices?
  • Reply 8 of 130
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

I suspect there are some who are waiting to hear on Monday, of any additional pricing cuts for the Nexus 7

Or more likely, many are wanting to see an iPad mini in person before dropping $329. That would be me.

Edit: Google Announcement: "We are canceling our Monday morning event in New York due to Hurricane Sandy. We will let you know our plans as soon as we know more"

• Reply 9 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

Does the LTE function support Oz in the new devices?

Yes, it does.

• Reply 10 of 130
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    alexn wrote: »
    Perhaps people got spooked by reports of scratches gouging right through the anodised layer? Although for myself I think the white/silver version looks nicer (also, I have a white iPhone 4 ;)) and would be prepared to wait for it to come back in stock. Roll on 2 November so I can go to the Apple Store and compare the iPad Minis and iPad 4-s :smokey:

From the pics, it looks like it will appear exactly like the 5 from the front (beveled aluminum edging). The white is gorgeous- I get jealous from my wife's pretty often. Interestingly enough- she gets jealous from my black. This black is way better this time around- like a stealth phone- even the buttons are black. It's gorgeous. The mini design Makes the big iPad look antiquated.

The mini is a thing of beauty- ill wait patiently (ok- impatiently) for retina and an A6. Don't mind paying $329 for retina- even $349.
    I'm hoping this spring..... Hoping.
  • Reply 11 of 130
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I ordered the 64GB black slate LTE model, ill carry it around instead of my 3rd Gen iPad (64GB 4G White).

an iPad for home & one to carry everywhere, i'm i lame for doing that? :p

• Reply 12 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

Perhaps people got spooked by reports of scratches gouging right through the anodised layer? Although for myself I think the white/silver version looks nicer (also, I have a white iPhone 4 image) and would be prepared to wait for it to come back in stock. Roll on 2 November so I can go to the Apple Store and compare the iPad Minis and iPad 4-s image

It definitely crossed my mind. I would prefer if the black had a silver back as well. Black everywhere just makes is invisible and boring. I like the white better, and I usually hate white devices.

• Reply 13 of 130
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    A whole 35 hours?

Apple is doomed.

;-)
  • Reply 14 of 130
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Don't mind paying $329 for retina- even $349.

I'm hoping this spring..... Hoping.

That sounds like real wishful thinking. I don't even see how that's possible. And I'm not just talking about the price, but the technical problems involved.image

• Reply 15 of 130

These iPad Minis sure do look nice though, both the white and the black one.

• Reply 16 of 130
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours#post_2221093"]That sounds like real wishful thinking. I don't even see how that's possible. And I'm not just talking about the price, but the technical problems involved.:lol:

What technical issues? Technology takes leaps and bounds almost daily. A Japanese company just made a 9.6 4K LCD screen.
  • Reply 17 of 130

not sure why we keep caring that something sells out at the apple store - everything ends up having a wait time now - at the end of the quarter it never meets the hype.

it is obvious by now that Apple simply does not make enough of them at launch.

• Reply 18 of 130
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153819/black-and-slate-16gb-ipad-mini-sells-out-in-35-hours#post_2221094"]These iPad Minis sure do look nice though, both the white and the black one.

They sure are cute lol.
  • Reply 19 of 130
    agramonte wrote: »
    not sure why we keep caring that something sells out at the apple store - everything ends up having a wait time now - at the end of the quarter it never meets the hype.
    it is obvious by now that Apple simply does not make enough of them at launch.

To boast and brag, why else?
  • Reply 20 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What technical issues? Technology takes leaps and bounds almost daily. A Japanese company just made a 9.6 4K LCD screen.

An iPad Mini Retina wouldn't be much different than the full sized one, IMO, only a lot smaller, which presents a lot of problems, IMO.

How are they going to stuff a huge and powerful battery in there? Is the iPad Mini retina going to be way fatter than the current one? That kind of defeats the purpose. It'll also be much heavier, which is also a big negative. The GPU will also have to be bumped up, in order to drive all of those crazy pixels.

Unless Apple totally changes the display technology and goes to something more efficient like the rumored IGZO, and battery tech takes a radical leap, I think that Apple is going to have to make many compromises to make a Retina iPad Mini.

And people were complaining about the iPad 3 getting hot? How would it be with the iPad Mini Retina? I could be wrong of course, these are just my thoughts, but I am skeptical.