Apple expected to sell up to 1.5M iPad minis over launch weekend

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The iPad mini is forecast to get off to a strong but modest start this weekend with sales of up to 1.5 million units, but over time Apple's 7.9-inch tablet is expected to gain popularity.

Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray believes that Apple will sell between a million and 1.5 million iPad minis over the launch weekend. On the high end, that would be half the 3 million third-generation iPads Apple sold at launch this March.

One reason for a smaller launch is the fact that there will not be any 4G LTE models available at launch. Those versions of the iPad mini are scheduled to launch later this month.

Another reason cited by Munster is the "newness of the form factor for consumers." He currently believes smaller-sized tablets account for about 20 to 25 percent of overall market units, but he sees the share of smaller tablets growing in the future.

"Consumers will gradually realize the benefits of the smaller form factor, which will drive adoption, although it may not take form in lines for tomorrow's launch," Munster wrote.

iPad mini

In particular, Munster believes consumers will appreciate the ability to use the iPad mini with one hand, and the enhanced portability the smaller form factor offers. Until now, he said, the market for smaller tablets has been limited because existing devices like the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 lack the ecosystem and brand that Apple is bringing to market with the iPad mini.

Last month, before the iPad mini was made official, Munster said he believes every five iPad mini sales would be equal to cannibalization of one full-size iPad. His prediction of a 20 percent cannibalization rate suggests Apple could greatly expand its addressable market by offering two different screen sizes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm no analyst (thank god), but I believe that Apple can sell even more than that, as long as they have sufficient stock to meet the demand. The iPad Mini is launching in 34 countries and the pre-orders did sell out fairly quickly.

I can pull random numbers out of my ass just as easily as any analyst can, and I'm going to say that Apple sells 2.3 Million iPad Minis over the launch weekend.

• Reply 2 of 44
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

BUT ASUS IS SELLING A MILLION NEXUS 7s EACH MO . . .

oh wait . . 

• Reply 3 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,090member

People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.  What moniker are they going to slap on this one that will make them look foolish in the end?

• Reply 4 of 44
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    But is this counting the units they've already pre-sold or is this ADDITIONAL units?

Well, I'm getting my iPad 4 tomorrow, so I have a new toy to play with. But at least this toy doesn't have an OS GUI that directly from an X-Box gaming console.

I still can't figure out how Steve Ballmer can make a comment that Windows 8 Surface tablets are for serious computing when the GUI is directly from a Gaming Console. To me, that's just a kid's toy trying to act grown up.

Oh well, I'm sure Ballmer has one leg out of Microsoft, someone just has to push out completely. Can't wait.

• Reply 5 of 44
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    BUT ASUS IS SELLING A MILLION NEXUS 7s EACH MO . . .

oh wait . . 

You mean 'smoothly' approaching selling a million.....

Oh wait......
  • Reply 6 of 44
    sflocal wrote: »
    People called the iPad a "toy" when it first came out.  What moniker are they going to slap on this one that will make them look foolish in the end?

iPad selling lots of units does not make it any less of a toy...
  • Reply 7 of 44

" . . . strong but modest start . . ."

Yeah, my baby grand piano is heavy but light.  My grandmother is old but young.  And my brother is rich but poor.

Don't you just LOVE equivocators?

• Reply 8 of 44

Notcheapenoughgate

• Reply 9 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Yeah, what can you do. Corporations must love toys: http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/7332-ipad-use-approximately-50-percent-fortune-100-companies.html

• Reply 10 of 44

I've been reading a lot of reports about how the launch in New York is going to be subdued, and those reports are probably correct, but I'm thinking that I just might take advantage of the hurricane disaster and visit the 5th Ave. store tomorrow to at least check out the new iPad Mini. If I really like it, I just might end up walking away with one.

I gave away my iPad 2 this summer to my mom, and my iPad 3 is leaving this weekend, because I'm letting my girlfriend take it with her on an overseas trip. That leaves me with no iPad. An iPad for me is not essential, as I do have other devices and machines that I can use, but I am going to miss my iPad, especially when sitting on the toilet or when taking a hot bubble bath.image An iPad Mini just might be the solution.

Luckily for me, my access to Manhattan is not hindered, so I am considering popping by the flagship Apple store, especially if that means no lines and less tourists, I can't stand either one. I'm also not expecting any lowlife scalpers to be present. We'll see what happens. 

• Reply 11 of 44
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Yes it is a toy, but a very nice toy. Nothing wrong with that.

• Reply 12 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153967/apple-expected-to-sell-up-to-1-5m-ipad-minis-over-launch-weekend#post_2224997"]I've been reading a lot of reports about how the launch in New York is going to be subdued, and those reports are probably correct, but I'm thinking that I just might take advantage of the hurricane disaster and visit the 5th Ave. store tomorrow to at least check out the new iPad Mini. If I really like it, I just might end up walking away with one.

I gave away my iPad 2 this summer to my mom, and my iPad 3 is leaving this weekend, because I'm letting my girlfriend take it with her on an overseas trip. That leaves me with no iPad. An iPad for me is not essential, as I do have other devices and machines that I can use, but I am going to miss my iPad, especially when sitting on the toilet or when taking a hot bubble bath.:lol:  An iPad Mini just might be the solution.

Luckily for me, my access to Manhattan is not hindered, so I am considering popping by the flagship Apple store, especially if that means no lines and less tourists, I can't stand either one. I'm also not expecting any lowlife scalpers to be present. We'll see what happens. 

How is your access not hindered? If they haven't gotten delivery yet it might be a problem getting them in by tomorrow.
  • Reply 13 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Yes it is a toy, but a very nice toy. Nothing wrong with that.

Toys are cool. Apple toys are cooler.

• Reply 14 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Luckily for me, my access to Manhattan is not hindered, so I am considering popping by the flagship Apple store, especially if that means no lines and less tourists, I can't stand either one.

I'm also not expecting any lowlife scalpers to be present. 

1.  New York City lives and breathes because of the tourists.  :P  I would move there in a second, after being a tourist, once my child graduates from high school.

2.  Forget the lawyers, kill all the scalpers.  I would have thought Sandy would have washed away all the rodents, including scalpers.

3.  Love the flagship store, very interesting design.  I plan to be there for the launch of the iphone 6 this spring (hehehe).

• Reply 15 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How is your access not hindered? If they haven't gotten delivery yet it might be a problem getting them in by tomorrow.

The reports that I've been reading are wrong.

The reports are saying that there is no subway access into Manhattan, but that's not true. Yes, much of the subway line is totally shut down, but there are certain Subway lines that have begun to run. The Subways won't go lower than 34 St., but that's not a problem if somebody is trying to get to the 5th Ave Store.

• Reply 16 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I think the lines will be very short or non-existent for the mini. I'm not sure why people would want the WiFi only model as the extra $130 seems worth the cost to get GPS and cellular. For me this will be a much more mobil device compared to my iPad 3rd gen which mostly stays at home. I ordered the cellular one which still says mid November in my order detail. I hope it is sooner rather than later as I'm leaving on an extended trip shortly and would rather take that device than my current iPad just for the weight difference. 

• Reply 17 of 44
    russellrussell Posts: 296member

"The iPad mini is forecast to get off to a strong but modest start this weekend with sales of up to 1.5 million units..."

But they neglect to tell you they're including presales which started 1 week ago.

• Reply 18 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by protaginets View Post

1.  New York City lives and breathes because of the tourists.  :P 

I agree that tourists are important to the city and to the economy. I still find them kind of annoying though as they walk much too slowly, and I always find myself being blocked by them when trying to get where I'm going.image

• Reply 19 of 44

Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Abject nonsense. So ten years from now when tablets are the exclusive means of mobile computing and multitouch desktops are the exclusive means of desktop computing, no one will be using anything but "toys" then. Uh huh.

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Toys are cool. Apple toys are cooler.

Toys are legally uncool. Apple products are legally cool. 

But I'd be happy to have that "fact" rendered invalid. 

• Reply 20 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153967/apple-expected-to-sell-up-to-1-5m-ipad-minis-over-launch-weekend#post_2225017"]The reports that I've been reading are wrong.

The reports are saying that there is no subway access into Manhattan, but that's not true. Yes, much of the subway line is totally shut down, but there are certain Subway lines that have begun to run. The Subways won't go lower than 34 St., but that's not a problem if somebody is trying to get to the 5th Ave Store.

All of the subway tunnels leading in and out of Manhattan are below 34 St. The only thing that I can think of is the tram from Roosevelt Island.