iPad mini's A5 chip confirmed to be built on Samsung's 32nm process

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was confirmed on Thursday that iPad mini is using the same A5 processor found in the fifth-generation iPod touch, meaning the SoC is built on Samsung's 32nm process first introduced in the refreshed iPad 2 and third-generation Apple TV.

A5 SoC in iPad mini
Apple's A-series chips. | Source: Chipworks

Chip analysis firm Chipworks took a closer look at the iPad mini's processor to see if Apple moved to an updated process as it did with the incremental iPad 2 revision in May, which saw a process change from 45nm to 32nm.

The firm noted in its report that Apple quietly changed the process in the A5 chip when it introduced the New iPad and its touted A5X SoC.

"Apple (likely) plays it this way because they don?t want people evaluating their products based on 'commodity' technical specifications, but based on the overall experience with the device," Chipworks wrote.

Based on the company's generational process changes, some speculated that the iPad mini would carry a third-generation A5 chip even more efficient than the 32nm version found in the iPad 2 and Apple TV. Chipworks discovered, however, that the tablet's SoC is the same 32nm component found in the most recent iPod touch.

"Basically, we put our device in for a cross section and the images show the same contacted gate pitch and the same high-k metal gates, so we are comfortable with this conclusion," the firm said, referring to Samsung's 32nm process.

The continued use of the legacy A5 chip may not come as a surprise to most, as Apple was said to be keeping component costs down in order to offer the mini at a relatively inexpensive price point.

Chipworks' in-depth look comes on the heels of iFixit's usual teardown which found the 7.9-inch tablet to share design cues and parts design with the iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Troll me a poem. A8 at 12nm made by google.:smokey:
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    This is interesting. During the keynote, Apple very clearly called the processor in the iPad mini an A5X, not an A5. They even put it up in a graphic on the screen.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bsenka wrote: »
    This is interesting. During the keynote, Apple very clearly called the processor in the iPad mini an A5X, not an A5. They even put it up in a graphic on the screen.

Go to 58m:53s. It's an A5/32nm.

They do show an A6X but that's earlier for the iPad (4) part. Note that the X is for GPU and bandwidth required to push all the additional data to the display. This is simply not required for the iPad 1, 2, or mini, which all only have a handle more pixels than the iPhone and iPod Touch with Retina displays.
  • Reply 4 of 10

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

A5. Right on the website.

• Reply 5 of 10

It sure looks pretty sitting on my bench syncing apps across...  it feels very light and no where near as 'solid' feeling as my old ipad2..  but tiny.  Jealous of my little one, who is it for.

• Reply 6 of 10
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

No they didn't. 

• Reply 7 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    Troll me a poem. A8 at 12nm made by google.:smokey:

So what of it?? Android tablets with supposedly higher specs still run lousy compared to an iPad with less "specs". Funny how you guys keep conveniently avoiding that subject.

Now buzz off troll.
  • Reply 8 of 10

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So what of it??

He's hoping that Android will be able to scroll smoothly by then.

• Reply 9 of 10
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Im guessing the 32nm processor is helping the iPad mini get the 10 hours of use. 

Just like the current iPad 2s run long than the original 2

• Reply 10 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    zozman wrote: »
    Im guessing the 32nm processor is helping the iPad mini get the 10 hours of use. 

Just like the current iPad 2s run long than the original 2

Definitely. The iPad mini simply wasn't possible at the duration and weight before 32nm.

Same goes for the use of the 1024x768 display as a 326 PPI display with backlight plus the A5X ASIC would be require a bigger battery to keep the 10 hour duration minimum. Because of that I don't think we'll see that PPI in the iPad mini until it gets Rogue 6 GPU which isn't slated until later next year and which I think it will be a year behind, so we're talking 2014.