Apple's 'broadest and deepest iPad launch ever' hits 34 countries

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Friday launched two new iPad models in a total of 34 countries, making it the largest product launch yet for the company.

The 7.9-inch iPad mini and 9.7-inch fourth-generation iPad debuted in what Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets called Apple's "broadest and deepest iPad launch ever, just in time for the holidays." In comparison, the third-generation iPad debuted in 12 countries this March, while the iPad 2 launched exclusively in the U.S. in 2011.

In addition to the U.S., the iPad mini launched Friday in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K.

White expects the 16-gigabyte iPad mini will sell out fast, particularly the white and silver model. Apple's online store completely sold out of all white and silver capacities just hours after preorders began a week ago.

White expects Apple will sell between 800,000 and a million iPad minis over the launch weekend, with demand far outstripping supply. In the December quarter, he has forecast Apple to sell 7 million iPad mini units, with demand that will "swamp supply, given constraints in the supply chain."

iPad mini

For its 2013 fiscal year, he expects Apple will sell 30 million iPad mini units, with sales growing to 48 million in fiscal 2014.

As for the fourth-generation iPad, White believes Apple will come closer to meeting demand this weekend than with the iPad mini. He said that as the iPad mini begins to sell out, some customers may opt for the larger fourth-generation iPad.

White's projected launch sales for the iPad mini are slightly lower than the prediction from Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray. On Thursday, Munster said he believes Apple will sell between a million and 1.5 million iPad minis over the launch weekend.

In comparison, Apple sold 3 million units of the third-generation iPad when it launched earlier this year in March. One key difference with the iPad mini launch is there are not models available with cellular data connections this weekend. The 4G LTE capable iPad mini models are expected to launch later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's an amazing technical achievement to launch in so many countries at once (basically the whole rich world) but what would be better is to have an *entirely* new product.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Show us photos of the queues already. :)

• Reply 3 of 20

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's an amazing technical achievement to launch in so many countries at once (basically the whole rich world) but what would be better is to have an *entirely* new product.

What purpose would that serve (if you're talking about usability)?

And are the multiple yearly entirely new products not enough (if you're talking about case redesigns)?

• Reply 4 of 20
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Show us photos of the queues already. :)

They've been lackluster.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/02/tech/mobile/apple-ipad-mini-sale/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

• Reply 5 of 20

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

They've been lackluster.

Makes sense.

• Reply 6 of 20
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Makes sense.

Well given it's available in more countries than ever, proximity to the holiday season and the fact that it was launched alongside the iPad 4th gen and quite soon after the iPhone 5, AND new Macs... people have to be choosy about where they spend their cash. I went for iPhone 5, as my 3Gs is getting a little long in the tooth, and my MBP and iPad 3rd gen are hardly ancient devices.

• Reply 8 of 20
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

Everyone on my XMAS list is getting an iPad mini, I don't need them right away.

I'm curious how the launch without the cellular option, but with a broader base of countries will pan out.

Maybe this will drive more interest with a synchronized launch.

• Reply 9 of 20
    zoolook wrote: »

At square one, in Mississauga, Ontario, mini sold out in one and a half hours. Driving to Best Buy and Staples to see if I can get one.
  • Reply 10 of 20

Premium resellers in my country are selling the "new iPad" for 479€ and the "iPad with Retina Display" for 499. Must be confusing.

• Reply 11 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

What purpose would that serve (if you're talking about usability)?

And are the multiple yearly entirely new products not enough (if you're talking about case redesigns)?

ascii wrote: »

Tallest,

Some people just say stupid stuff without thinking.
  • Reply 12 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

They've been lackluster.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/02/tech/mobile/apple-ipad-mini-sale/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

They'll sell boatloads of them. Like they do with all their mobile products. Wait for the numbers after a month on the shelves. Actually, Apple might announce big iPad Mini numbers even sooner than that.

• Reply 13 of 20
    Lackluster is okay. There are people waiting for the cellular versions including me.
  • Reply 14 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Lackluster is okay. There are people waiting for the cellular versions including me.

Same here.

• Reply 15 of 20
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Ditto.

• Reply 16 of 20
    The tampa store was sold out of whites and had only black 64s left by noon. At that time there were six people in line waiting for that model.
  • Reply 17 of 20

For those interested (and all the doubters/haters), the iPad '4' (or 3.5) has now been benchmarked.

On the processor side it's a little faster than the iPhone 5 (due to clock bump).

On the graphics side it's no contest. So long Exynos 5/Mali T604 and S4 Pro/Adreno 320. You got your a$$es handed to you this time around. A6X is a full 60% faster in GPU than the fastest S4 Pro ever tested and 50% faster than the Exynos 5/T604.

• Reply 18 of 20
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Low demand? I went to grab one from my local Apple store this AM, I was shocked it was sold out. They said it was the fastest they'd sold out of a device, even faster than the iPhone 5. ****. Really wanted one today. 

• Reply 19 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I didn't go to check one out today.

Firstly, I spoke to my friend yesterday, who said that midtown was packed with people yesterday. That kind of makes sense, since lower Manhattan was basically shut down, so I figured that there would be a ton of people at the 5th Ave Apple store, and after seeing that picture of the line, I'm glad that I didn't go. 

• Reply 20 of 20

Went to two apple stores before 10:30am and both were sold out of all white iPad Minis.