Am I stupid? (or, I need help with port mapping)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I'm just about at my wit's end with this. I'm trying to set up my computer to serve up some streaming media (or be a web server, or a file server, it's all the same). And I CANNOT figure out for the life of my how to do it.

Here's my set up: Tibook with airport card, Snow ABS. I've got the ABS set to share one IP among my computers and use DHCP to assign addresses. I've tried port mapping with NO success whatsoever. In the port mapping tab, I've tried putting 80 for public and private ports and using 10.0.1.201 for my private IP address. I've changed my network->aiport settings to be manually and entered in 10.0.1.201 (ip), 255.255.255.0 (subnet), 10.0.1.1 (router) as it says everywhere I've looked. When I have this setup, I get no internet connection whatsoever.

What am I doing wrong? I was able to get things working when I unchecked the 'distribute ip address' box, but then my Ti was the only computer able to get an IP (obviously). It shouldn't be this hard... Please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    for internet ... you'll need to have the gateway IP (IP for the Airport) set to the IP your ISP gives you .... That usually sets up automatically.

How do you connect to the net ? ... DSL ? modem?

?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Ah, I guess I forgot some relevant details... That's what I get for posting in frustration at 3am...

Cable modem, DHCP server assigns IP address.

Running 10.2.3. ABS version 4.0.7, Airport software v. 2.0.4 (I think). Again, it's a snow (rev. b) base station.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    First thing I can think of is set System Preferences, Network, TCP/IP to "DHCP with manual ip address".

You may want to get a friend to test access to your network from outside the cable modem. If I try and hit my static ip address from inside the network it shows the router's built in webserver.

edit: just a thought, by default the airport only distributes the addresses 10.0.1.2 - 10.0.1.200. If you've not changed this then 10.0.1.201 won't work.

[ 12-23-2002: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I tried some port forwarding on my snow ABS for IP-sharing a FileMaker Pro database a while back. Discovered through personal experience and much web research that Port Forwarding on the ABS is LAME, and this lameness is a "known issue"

I ended up selling the ABS and replacing it with a D-Link wireless router and it is now working great!