Physicians excited about lab coat pocket-ability of Apple's iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Friday's launch of the iPad mini has been eagerly awaited by physicians who are particularly excited that the device easily can fit inside a lab coat.

Epocrates, a maker of point-of-care applications for medical professionals, gathered data from 48 different physicians that use its products. One in three of those physicians said they are planning to purchase an iPad mini due to its convenient small size.

With a height of 7.87 inches and a width of just 5.3 inches, the iPad mini also passed what Epocrates called the "lab coat test." Lab coats worn by medical professionals have pockets sized 8.5 inches high and 7.5 inches wide, which means the device can be easily carried by a physician.

And 90 percent of physicians contacted said they believe the iPad mini will make it easier for them to bring the device between exam rooms and on hospital rounds.

Epocrates
A mockup of the Epocrates application on Apple's new iPad mini. Source: Epocrates.

"Compared to the general populace, physicians are early and high adopters of Apple products," the company told AppleInsider. "A large majority of physicians own an iPhone, and the current iPad dominates the healthcare tablet market."

The medical community was quick to embrace the iPad when it first hit the market. For example, the School of Medicine at Stanford University began equipping students with Apple iPads only months after the first-generation device launched in 2010, while a number of hospitals also found uses for the device.

In 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the first diagnostic radiology application for viewing medical images and making diagnoses on the iPad. Professionals are allowed to use the application when a full-size workstation is not available.

And earlier this year, one survey found that more than a quarter of European doctors use an iPad at work, while another 40 percent said they planned to buy an iPad within six months.

But the latest input from Epocrates users suggests that the iPad mini could prove to be even more convenient for healthcare professionals than the full-size 9.7-inch iPad, which does not comfortably fit inside a traditional lab coat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

BUT IT'S JUST A TOY, RIGHT?  RIGHT????

• Reply 2 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Friday's launch of the iPad mini has been eagerly awaited by physicians who are particularly excited that the device easily can fit inside a lab coat.

See... it's just as pocketable as those other 7-8" tablets.image

On a related note I've used Epocrates for quite some time now. I've found it darn useful.

• Reply 3 of 64

Yeah...I'm an advocate of Epocrates too. INDISPENSABLE!!!

• Reply 4 of 64
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

It's going to make for a weird prostate exam, but ok.

Oh, wait...didn't read the whole title...

• Reply 5 of 64
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    Yeah, but those ones get viruses. :-)
  • Reply 6 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

BUT IT'S JUST A TOY, RIGHT?  RIGHT????

I know you're joking, but just sick of people who own Apple stuff being defensive. Let's start taking the high road, guys.

• Reply 7 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know you're joking, but just sick of people who own Apple stuff being defensive. Let's start taking the high road, guys.

That's not being defensive, it's mocking the moronic Apple haters who say stuff exactly like that.

• Reply 8 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

The 'toy' thing is worn to shreds, but for all the premature dissing of this new device (in this forum) it is interesting to see how it is broadly adopted. My prediction is that in no time it will become the iPad standard size and the iPad will become the 'iPad large'. I suspect Apple realized this early and that is an important reason for keeping the price at a premium. It will allow Apple to improve it with faster processor and perhaps a high res screen without too much of a price hike in a year or so. 

• Reply 9 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

In a recent visit to my health provider I noticed that they are on a Windows network but all of the data is delivered and entered through Internet Explorer. I wonder how compatible Mobile Safari is with many of these types of Windows proprietary network applications and whether an iPad could actually log in through Open Directory some how. 

• Reply 10 of 64

That"s great news !

So why is AAPL dropping like a lead balloon ?

anyone ?

• Reply 11 of 64
    I love iPad mini. But why this makes such a news while other mini tables also comfortably fit into Physicians lab coat pocket.
    Whole world is in Apple Trauma. I love it! :) :)
  • Reply 12 of 64

edit: wrong post quoted

• Reply 13 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

That"s great news !

anyone ?

Nothing specifically worrisome is being reported. Forbes has some comments here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2012/11/02/apples-stock-below-580-what-is-next/?partner=yahootix

• Reply 14 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Come on Ireland... He wasn't being defensive and deep down you know it.  How many iHaters and trolls that infest this forum have said that over the years?  Of course, that infantile mentality has quieted a bit because "suddenly" it's okay since the Android got into the tablet space.

What's really sad is that even with all the tablet offerings, no one takes Android tablets seriously.  All the big corporate names, restaurants, airlines, government, medical, etc. all choose iPads/iPhones and don't even put the Android options into the equation, and of course the fandroid community for failing to realize the potential it could have had and their only resort is to insult consumers for expressing their "choice".

• Reply 15 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

That"s great news !

anyone ?

I guess they're trying to shake out the pussies.

As for me, I'm the opposite of a pussy. As a matter of fact, somebody called me a prick here yesterday (or an arrogant prick to be precise), so it only makes sense that I bought some AAPL today.image

Contrary to many reports, the iPad Mini is totally sold out in many places. At the flagship store, all white and black models were sold out within an hour, and you know that they had a shitload of stock. Also, many other Apple stores are sold out of it.

• Reply 16 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

How many iHaters and trolls that infest this forum have said that over the years?  

No need to even go back that far. 

Just yesterday, some people were saying exactly that.

Nobody should be criticized for mocking Fandroids, Apple haters and other clueless trolls who come to this forum. They have some deep issues and inferiority complexes.

• Reply 17 of 64

Wow 48 physicians, man talk about a large survey and only one in three plans on buying one or 15 of them are planning on purchasing them.  Everyone you only need 48 in order to have an accurate sample size, remember that everyone.

• Reply 18 of 64

• AAPL: Gas Lines, Sub-Zero Weather, and iPad Mini ‘Stock-Outs’

Topeka Capital Markets’s Brian White, who was at the store this morning, writes in a report this afternoon that all of both the white and the black flavor of iPad mini are sold out at the flagship store, an hour after the thing went on sale.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2012/11/02/aapl-gas-lines-sub-zero-weather-and-ipad-mini-stock-outs/

• Reply 19 of 64

Newsflash: Smaller devices fit in more places compared to bigger ones. Astounding. 

• Reply 20 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I guess they're trying to shake out the pussies.

As for me, I'm the opposite of a pussy. As a matter of fact, somebody called me a prick here yesterday (or an arrogant prick to be precise), so it only makes sense that I bought some AAPL today.image

Contrary to many reports, the iPad Mini is totally sold out in many places. At the flagship store, all white and black models were sold out within an hour, and you know that they had a shitload of stock. Also, many other Apple stores are sold out of it.

According to employee Tweets, some Apple stores had only 100 total units on hand this morning while a few others had as many as three hundred arrive. 

One also reported upwards of 900 of the newly updated full-size iPads on hand