Apple brings $19 Lightning to Micro USB adapter to U.S. stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alongside the iPad mini, Apple on Friday introduced the Lightning to micro USB adapter, a tiny dongle first available in Europe, to the U.S. market.

Lightning to micro USB Adapter
Official Lightning to micro USB Adapter. | Source: Apple

Initially built and released in tandem with the iPhone 5 in Europe to fulfill the European Commission's regulation that all smartphones sold in the region be micro USB compatible, the $19 adapter has finally landed in North America.

Previously, those iPhone, iPod and now iPad users needed to buy the component through third-party resellers or directly from an Apple Store in Europe if they wanted to charge and sync their devices via micro USB. As there is no official standard in the U.S., manufacturers offer their products in a variety of charging methods, causing many consumers to build up a stockpile of various cables and chargers. The Lightning to micro USB adapter looks to do away with at least one of those cables.

Apple's adapter is compatible with the iPhone 5, fifth-generation iPod touch, seventh-generation iPod nano, fourth-generation iPad, and iPad mini. According to the company's website, the dongle is able to both charge and sync devices, though it is unlikely that audio line out is supported as the Lightning protocol is completely digital and would require an embedded digital-to-analog converter to function.

The $19 adapter can be purchased directly from the Online Apple Store, with shipments available to ship in one to three days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

The 30-pin adapter is receiving lots of complaints that it will not work with iDevices that have a case because the lightning part is not long enough. Will this USB adapter work with cases?

• Reply 2 of 59
    slick and compact.
  • Reply 3 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The 30-pin adapter is receiving lots of complaints that it will not work with iDevices that have a case because the lightning part is not long enough. Will this USB adapter work with cases?

Case designers who are authorized were given the specifications to work their designs around. The onus in on them to fix their designs.

• Reply 4 of 59
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What is the usage for this adapter? 

You stick the lightning end into your iPad or iPhone, and then you connect the Micro USB part to what? A Micro USB power supply or something? What's wrong with the Apple power supply?

I'm only asking, because I don't think that I have any devices or things that uses Micro USB. I might have a camera that has it, but I'm not sure.

• Reply 5 of 59
    Maybe this will help the stock ... this unending slide is getting a little unbearable.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] it is unlikely that audio line out is supported as the Lightning protocol is completely digital and would require an embedded digital-to-analog converter to function.

Am I missing something here? Three out of the four computer audio interfaces I own connect to the computer via USB. The D-A conversion occurs in the audio device, NOT in the cable. Why would audio peripherals for iDevices be any different?

• Reply 7 of 59

Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post

Maybe this will help the stock...

How? MicroUSB is meaningless to tech and SHOULD be meaningless to everyone.

• Reply 8 of 59
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What is the usage for this adapter? 

It's for people who have a Micro USB cable and an iOS device with a Lightning port.  You may not have many Micro USB devices or cables, but I have a ton.  Cameras, headphones, hard drives, more hard drives, even more hard drives...

In many cases, swapping out the cable is difficult.  So you could use a really long, really short, or multi-headed Micro USB cable and connect it to different stuff, but when you wanted to connect it to an iOS device, just put this adapter on.

• Reply 9 of 59

I'm just curious why the micro chip is needed to charge the device, I will by the story for dynamic pin switching for data, video, etc. but just charging the device it is a way too much. So lets be honest Apple is using the security chip to charge extra for the cable, and enough with the hypocrisy that this is technology driven only. It is technically possible to charge the device without microchip.  :)

• Reply 10 of 59
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    The iPhone.

A beautiful, minimalist piece of equipment: plugged into twenty-six different joined connectors.

And Apple really needs to make these things available on launch day. Along with docks, cases, and covers.
  • Reply 11 of 59
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

It's for people who have a Micro USB cable and an iOS device with a Lightning port.  You may not have many Micro USB devices or cables, but I have a ton.  Cameras, headphones, hard drives, more hard drives, even more hard drives...

In many cases, swapping out the cable is difficult.  So you could use a really long, really short, or multi-headed Micro USB cable and connect it to different stuff, but when you wanted to connect it to an iOS device, just put this adapter on.

Now that you mention it, I guess that I do have a couple of external 2.5" hard drives that do use a Micro USB connector.

But can you even plug in a hard drive to an iOS device and have access to it? I thought that wasn't possible, afaik.

• Reply 12 of 59

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And Apple really needs to make these things available on launch day. Along with docks, cases, and covers.

It was, in the countries that demand its existence.

Oh, unless you mean "shipping on launch day" when applied to all accessories.

• Reply 13 of 59

"But can you even plug in a hard drive to an iOS device and have access to it? I thought that wasn't possible, afaik."

Nope  Apple is too insecure to allow you to do that.

• Reply 14 of 59
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

But can you even plug in a hard drive to an iOS device and have access to it? I thought that wasn't possible, afaik.

That's not what it's for. Imagine this scenario:

I have a desktop computer that's set up in a way that getting at the ports on the back is a hassle. While I'm setting it up I plug in a USBA-to-MicroUSB cable and leave the micro end dangling on the desk. That plug connects to absolutely every single peripheral I own -- graphics tablet, external hard drive, all three cameras and the custom keypad -- but not my iPhone because it's special and needs to have its own, unique connector. I can either leave ANOTHER cable dangling on the desk, or I can use the adaptor described here to connect my iPhone using the otherwise universal MicroUSB cable that's already there.

• Reply 15 of 59

Originally Posted by sideout9257 View Post

Nope  Apple is too insecure to allow you to do that.

Why is it the single posters are some of the least informed of anyone?

And by "least informed" I mean trollish.

• Reply 16 of 59
    remereme Posts: 74member

This is just a handy adapter to let you use an existing Micro USB cable, nice to have in the travel bag.  I found the stock Lightning to USB connector to be fairly compact and it fits with a case on.  The 30Pin adapter needs to be flush to the bare phone so a case would need a huge hole in the bottom so they are a fail for me not to mention the bulk right at the phone. 

The 30pin adapter with short cable has a thicker cable and a much fatter Lightning connector housing that can interfere with cases, I shaved mine down to fit. 

This micro USB adapter looks to be chubbier than the stock Lightning adapter as well, we'll see.

• Reply 17 of 59
    Wtf the layout has been changed again?
  • Reply 18 of 59

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Wtf the layout has been changed again?

Yep. Comment on it here.

• Reply 19 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is it the single posters are some of the least informed of anyone?

And by "least informed" I mean trollish.

When I decided to join and post, first post and a negative Apple comment, the thought crossed my mind that someone might think it trollish.

I long fought going iOS because of how locked up Apple likes to keep their devices.  Before I was a long time Nokia/Symbian user.  Finally, broke down, the GUI, build and design won me over.  Started with 3GS and then upgraded with the iP5.  Would I like to be able to attach a USB drive through the Lightning port, yes.  Is Apple ever going to allow you to do it...  I highly doubt it.  Geez  Can't even give us a SD micro slot.  But whatever, TS, I am not uninformed, let alone least.  LET ALONE a TROLL

• Reply 20 of 59

Originally Posted by sideout9257 View Post

Would I like to be able to attach a USB drive through the Lightning port, yes.

But why, is the question. What purpose would this serve?

Can't even give us a SD micro slot.

But why, is the question. What purpose would this serve?