Rumor: Apple to begin trial production of 'iPhone 5S' in December

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new, questionable rumor out of Taiwan claims that Apple plans to begin trial production of a so-called "iPhone 5S" in December.

The details come from a report in Chinese-language newspaper Commercial Times, which was translated by DigiTimes on Monday. It claimed that initial production volumes of the new version of the iPhone 5 are likely to fall between 50,000 and 100,000 units.

"Facing low yield rates in the production of iPhone 5, Apple has accelerated the certification processes for related parts and components for the iPhone 5S," The report said.

Both Commercial Times and DigiTimes have poor track records with respect to Apple-related rumors. For example, years ago the newspaper claimed Apple was buying 9.7-inch LCD displays to build its own netbook, but it turned out the screens were instead used for the iPad.

iPhone 5

Monday's report also claimed that Apple is "likely to release a new version" of its iPad touchscreen tablet "a quarter later than the iPhone 5S." The report cited the display resolution of "its latest version of iPad" as being lower than expected, presumably a reference to the non-Retina display of the iPad mini.

Last month, Apple announced both the iPad mini with a 7.9-inch display, and a new fourth-generation iPad featuring a speedy A6X processor and new Lightning connector. But one well-connected insider has predicted that Apple will launch a lighter and thinner 9.7-inch iPad "as quickly as possible," since the fourth-generation iPad features the same weight and thickness as the third-generation model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Where S stands for "Secure" ... time to bear fruit, AuthenTec acquisition
  • Reply 2 of 38
    How are Apple going to produce a behind orders phone and a to be ordered in a year phone at the same time.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Kinda like this, even though I just got the 5. Think I'll just upgrade every single version, instead of waiting two years for some contract to expire. Although I don't have a contract anymore (I buy at full retail) I guess this is the cheapest way of always having the latest version.

This bi-yearly upgrade strategy will also silence the whiners that Apple doesn't use the latest tech in their products.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    My guess is that this phone is a custom phone for China Mobile.
  • Reply 5 of 38

Why does Appleinsider even post this kind of garbage?  People have been waiting for a month for their order to show up and Apple will begin production of the next phone?  Give me a break.

• Reply 6 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Good god why does AI still report on DigiTimes nonsense? Even worse who do people discuss this as if there's a lick of truth to it? Apple can't make iPhone 5's fast enough to keep up with demand yet they're going to start testing an iPhone 5S in December?!? Does nobody get how idiotic that sounds?!?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's something that would be more interesting to read than DigiTimes nonsense.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/12/a-dramatic-reading/
  • Reply 8 of 38
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Honestly I think it would be a good idea for them to launch an upgraded iPhone every six months to to avoid the 4S letdown. For the first time in 5 years Samdung had the best selling phone in a quarter because the 4S left the iPhone brand long in the tooth and stale.
  • Reply 9 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Honestly I think it would be a good idea for them to launch an upgraded iPhone every six months to to avoid the 4S letdown. For the first time in 5 years Samdung had the best selling phone in a quarter because the 4S left the iPhone brand long in the tooth and stale.

Dont forget that all these figures are estimates, neither Samsung nor Apple say exactly how many of each phone they have sold !  Samsung does not give any sales figures.

So by my estimates the Iphone sold more.

• Reply 10 of 38
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Not that I believe this, but reading is failing some. 

Quote:

"Facing low yield rates in the production of iPhone 5, Apple has accelerated the certification processes for related parts and components for the iPhone 5S," The report said.

I take that to mean, BECAUSE the iPhone 5 has such low yields, they are going to a different design that doesn't have low yields. The low yields are hurting Apple. Yah, it's great to have demand, but there are many that are turned off from even purchasing an iPhone 5 because they don't want to wait. Apple could move more phones if they had a version that could easily be built by Foxconn. 

• Reply 11 of 38
    Considering the effect that new iPhone expectation has on existing iPhone version sales. If the competition wanted to hurt Apple's December (holiday) iPhone sales, this is exactly the kind of rumor that would do it. If this rumor gains any kind of credibility, Apple will be forced to issue a firm denial or face suppressed iPhone 5 sales in their most important quarter.

What a nasty rumor this could turn out to be.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Digitimes correctly predicted the iPad 3 in March and iPad 4 in October in January and the Microsoft Surface last year. They are cited for good reason.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Apple reports their iPhone sales, inventory, and sell through numbers.

Google does not report anything in this area. Neither does Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

I believe Samsung reports shipping numbers in toto for phone sets, but not per model or smartphones as a unit. None of S's numbers are sell through, just shipping numbers.

So, Apple provides the info; The rest, not so much.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    50 to 100 Thousand? Hmmm.. Sounds like that's enough for Apple employees.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The 4S stopped selling not because it was "long in the tooth and stale", but rather because the rumors of the iPhone 5 had evolved into rumblings and then became actual sightings.  The same thing would happen to the "5" even after only a few months if there were credible evidence that a 5S was imminent (such as what you get during a huge product ramp).   It's not like Apple could sneak a 5S in like the new iPad, because they have to build a heck of a lot more of them.  So I reach the opposite conclusion as you.  In my opinion, having a new product launch every 6 months would only double the number of "letdowns" we experience. 

I agree with an earlier poster.  If Apple is in fact building another version of the iPhone, then it is likely just an iPhone 5 custom-built for the China Mobile network.

Thompson

• Reply 16 of 38
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

My guess is that this phone is a custom phone for China Mobile.

My guess is that someone is trying to sabotage iPhone5 sales.

• Reply 17 of 38

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

My guess is that someone is trying to sabotage iPhone5 sales.

Not many people have the guts to say that six month cycles will turn people off. But they will.

• Reply 18 of 38
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Well at least it isn't a rumor about a new iPad...
  • Reply 19 of 38
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I think the Digitimes does indeed have its source, but most of the time they are wrongly quoted. The 9.7inch panel and production of components tends to be quite accurate.

It could be a iPhone specially developed for China Mobile, or Mid - Low Cost market. The Phone price in China are ridiculously low as you could get a Quad Core Cortex A9 Android Phone for less then $150 now.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

How are Apple going to produce a behind orders phone and a to be ordered in a year phone at the same time.

This might be used for testing purposes and they might be seeding it internally and maybe to key customers. That's the only thing I can think of.  if these phones are the Authentic ID phones then they have to go through a testing phase and since this sounds like that technology, they might want to have various large key customers test it to make sure it does what it's supposed to do until they are ready to release the final product.