Windows chief Steven Sinofsky leaves Microsoft

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The head of Microsoft's Windows division Steven Sinofsky is leaving the company effective immediately, with rumors suggesting the circumstances are similar to the recent departure of Apple executive Scott Forstall.

Steven Sinofsky
Former President of Windows and Windows Live Steven Sinofsky at the Windows 8 event in October. | Source: Microsoft

According to AllThingsD, Microsoft's official stance is that Sinofsky is leaving on amicable terms, though people familiar with the matter said "growing tension" between the Windows chief and other executives may have helped move along the decision.

In a press release issued by Microsoft, CEO Steve Ballmer briefly lauded Sinofsky's previous work before noting the launch of Windows 8, Surface and Halo 4, among other company products.

?It is impossible to count the blessings I have received over my years at Microsoft. I am humbled by the professionalism and generosity of everyone I have had the good fortune to work with at this awesome company,? Sinofsky said in the statement.

In a letter to Microsoft employees obtained by The Verge, Ballmer wrote that Sinofsky "decided to leave the company."

Sinofsky was instrumental in the creation and development of Microsoft's new flagship Windows 8 operating system, as well as Surface, the company's first in-house designed and manufactured computer. The former executive ruffled some feathers after the launch of Windows 8 in October when he called upcoming Windows computers great deals compared to "recreational tablets," alluding to Apple's iPad mini.

The executive's departure is similar to the ousting of Apple's former head of iOS Scott Forstall, who was also said to be difficult to work with.

Julie Larson-Green, who previously held multiple roles as she worked on Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office and a number of other major initiatives, will take some of Sinofsky's duties in leading all Windows software and hardware engineering. Current Windows and Windows Live CFO and marketing head Tami Reller will add the "business of Windows" to her responsibilities. Both executives will report directly to Ballmer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    Forstell moves to MS. Sinofsky joins Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    lales wrote: »
    God I hope not.

Have you SEEN Windows 8/Metro? What a train wreck ...
  • Reply 3 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by lales View Post

No need for Sinofsky.  Apple has Jony Ive, who could fart a grand design better than Sinofsky could ever dream of one.

• Reply 4 of 137
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Sinofsky is bailing out before the Windows 8 disaster causes sales to plunge.
  • Reply 5 of 137
    Sinofsky is a major jerk. Microsoft will be better off without him.
  • Reply 6 of 137
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

If ones greatest contribution to an emerging art is a kickstand and detachable keyboard, then just leaving is probably an easy out!

• Reply 7 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

God I hope not.

Have you SEEN Windows 8/Metro? What a train wreck ...

Windows 8 Metro is actually a lot better than the Start menu. At least now everything is easier to get to and I can organize things a lot better than what I was able to do with the Start Menu.

• Reply 8 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Sinofsky is bailing out before the Windows 8 disaster causes sales to plunge.

How is Windows 8 a disaster though?

• Reply 9 of 137
    Steve Ballmer consolidates his power. Good. The blame will not be spread around when Windows 8 / RT fails.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

I guess that, when the software that you design locks up in the presentation that you give, you have to leave soon thereafter.

• Reply 11 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

No need for Sinofsky.  Apple has Jony Ive, who could fart a grand design better than Sinofsky could ever dream of one.

A better design... You're right, because the iPad is such a great design.

I'm not an Apple hater just to clear the air, I own a few Apple products and I love Apple (especially when Steve was alive) but the iPad (from what I've seen) doesn't bring any innovation what so ever - unless you count making the same thing bigger (in this case, the iPod Touch).

I also love Microsoft and I think the Surface does bring more innovation than the iPad. I'm waiting for the Surface Pro in January and I can't wait to get it.

• Reply 12 of 137
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon Tourond View Post

Quote:

The reviews I have read have been generally negative across the board. PC Magazine was particularly harsh. People say it doesn't work well in the mouse & keyboards world - that it is touch focused. I have tried a non-touch-screen demo and did not like it at all. I am sticking to Windows 7.

• Reply 13 of 137
    Can we link Sinofsky to Petreaus and have this explode on Faux News?
  • Reply 14 of 137
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Windows 8 Metro is actually a lot better than the Start menu. At least now everything is easier to get to and I can organize things a lot better than what I was able to do with the Start Menu.
    That may well be, but its one of the most confusing UIs I've ever seen. Bright garish colors, clashing with random square boxes and sliding tile bands, it's ridiculous. Every time I try to focus on a desktop screen, my eyes ache ... When I look away its like one of this American Flag optical illusions where you stare at the inverse colors and it appears correct when you look at a blank wall.

It's just a jumble of confusing ideas trying to mask the same old flimsy underpinnings. It looks like a bunch of software geeks and sales guys came up with it based on what they thought looked hip to the youngsters, and did absolutely no consumer testing.

• Reply 15 of 137
    Quote:

Hint: Sinofsy's been fired.
  • Reply 16 of 137
    I'm not an Apple hater just to clear the air, I own a few Apple products and I love Apple (especially when Steve was alive) but the .......

Groan.

Do us all a favor. Please. Just slink away.....
  • Reply 17 of 137

Steve also had some moments in his keynotes where things didn't go exactly to plan.

- Apple Keynote Bloopers (demo failed)

• Reply 18 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hint: Sinofsy's been fired.

That doesn't mean Windows 8's a disaster..

• Reply 19 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devon Tourond View Post

Quote:

That doesn't mean Windows 8's a disaster..

That's true.

• Reply 20 of 137
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The reviews I have read have been generally negative across the board. PC Magazine was particularly harsh. People say it doesn't work well in the mouse & keyboards world - that it is touch focused. I have tried a non-touch-screen demo and did not like it at all. I am sticking to Windows 7.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

It's actually worse than that: eventually you HAVE to go into the "legacy" windows universe, where the interface is incompatible with touch (the icons and fonts are much smaller, it's almost impossible to do a precise press with your finger) -- I have a Sony Duo tablet, and it would be unusable if not for the stylus (which allows one to poke the small icons).

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }