Apple begins shipping LTE-capable iPad mini models

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Customers on Tuesday began receiving word from Apple's online store that their orders for the new iPad mini with LTE connectivity have begun shipping.

Shipping

Multiple readers indicated to AppleInsider Tuesday morning that they began receiving shipment notifications for their iPad mini with cellular data. The orders are scheduled to arrive this Friday, Nov. 16.

Customers have begun receiving word that both the black and slate as well as the white and silver colors of the iPad mini are on their way.

Apple began informing customers last week that their iPad mini with LTE would ship within five business days. iPad mini models with mobile data were first advertised to begin shipping in "a few weeks," but a specific launch date was not given.

The Wi-Fi-only iPad mini launched earlier this month in 34 countries alongside the new fourth-generation iPad. Together, the devices sold more than 3 million units over the launch weekend.

Apple's online store quickly sold out of all models of the iPad mini when they first went on sale. The company's most popular model over the launch weekend was the 16-gigabyte white and silver model.

In addition to direct sales through Apple, the new iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad are also available through AppleInsider sponsor MacMall by calling 888-338-6102 or visiting their website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Well, it looks like Apple will sell maybe a couple of million iPad mini with cellular data capabilities to add to the other iPad mini sales.

And how many Surface RT's have been sold? Probably not nearly as many...... Oh, so sorry.........
  • Reply 2 of 55
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I finally got a chance to play around with the iPad mini in Best Buy over the weekend. My biggest concern going in was the screen, however; my concerns were unwarranted. While not as "crisp" as the Retina iPad, it still looked very nice. Unless I had my eyes a few inches away from the screen, the drop in screen quality wasn't that much of an issue to me.

After that hands-on, I decided that I'm cashing in my CC rewards to buy one.

• Reply 3 of 55
    drblank wrote: »
    And how many Surface RT's have been sold? ....

10 million.

Oh wait you meant to customers, not channel. 5. No not 5 million. Just 5. And 4 of them were returned the next day.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I finally got a chance to play around with the iPad mini in Best Buy over the weekend. My biggest concern going in was the screen, however; my concerns were unwarranted.

I think a lot of folks say the res was the same as the iPad 2 and forgot that a smaller size means a larger PPI thus it looks better. And when you add in the smaller battery size and the greater power needs of a retina screen it's easy to see why they went for the display they did. Battery life is THE spec for Apple's devices since that is the one that everyone understands.
  • Reply 5 of 55

I have an IPAD third generation and have ordered the 4th generation.

2 days ago I bought the IPAD mini for my children.  That was the reason I gave to my wife, but really I was more keen to try it out for myself.

I have to say, the screen is good enough, other than very small fonts on certain websites and some magazines, the screen is good enough for everything else.

In fact, I enjoy using it so much because of its portability and weight that I am now considering getting the IPAD mini cellular and cancelling my IPAD 4th generation.

My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6 or IPAD 5 with reduced weight.  Unfortunately, these options are not available now.

I suppose now it is a question of IPAD mini cellular landing at a shop nearby first before Apple shipped the IPAD 4 to me.  Under this scenario, I would be very tempted to get the IPAD mini cellular.  Mean time, the debate will continue as I handle the IPAD mini and my current IPAD 3 for the next few days.

• Reply 6 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

2 days ago I bought the IPAD mini for my children.  That was the reason I gave to my wife, but really I was more keen to try it out for myself.

I have to say, the screen is good enough, other than very small fonts on certain websites and some magazines, the screen is good enough for everything else.

In fact, I enjoy using it so much because of its portability and weight that I am now considering getting the IPAD mini cellular and cancelling my IPAD 4th generation.

My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6 or IPAD 5 with reduced weight.  Unfortunately, these options are not available now.

I suppose now it is a question of IPAD mini cellular landing at a shop nearby first before Apple shipped the IPAD 4 to me.  Under this scenario, I would be very tempted to get the IPAD mini cellular.  Mean time, the debate will continue as I handle the IPAD mini and my current IPAD 3 for the next few days.

I am going from iPad 3rd gen to the mini - its just so much lighter to hold and carry - 

I have ordered some of each - ATT and Verizon - only Verizon shipping so far 

• Reply 7 of 55

Quote:

This could be another problem or AAPL. IPad users finding out just how good the mini is, so they stop ordering the iPad 4 (and any other big iPads in the future). That means customers would spend a lot less on iPads in the future.

• Reply 8 of 55
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    The LTE iPad mini is Apple's best iPad because it is the most balanced, useful and cheap SKU amongst the lot.

It's half the weight and has a good screen that is very LTE friendly. All the other Retina and HD pads will chew up bandwidth like nothing else. It still runs the entire library like iPad 2.

I'd say Apple should have marketed it as iPad Air or iPad Travel vs iPad Retina Power. Used it for 2 weeks now. Am thinking of exchanging or a cellular one in time for my Thanksgiving trip.
  • Reply 9 of 55

I am not worried about the mini cannibilizing the big brother.

The tablet market is a growing market.  Apple just sold 100 million big IPAD for last 2 years?

Let's consider a few scenarios which I think are highly possible.

Scenario 1: Without mini, Apple sold another 100 million next 2 years.

Scenario 2: Without mini, Apple sold another 80 million next 2 years with some sales lost to price sensitive buyers.

Scenario 3: With mini, Apple sold only 50 million IPAD but sold 150 million mini for next 2 years.

Under scenario 3, Apple doubled their IPAD sales.  Cannibalization is not an issue at all.

When I plugged the mini into my itune, the itune just shows it as an "IPAD".  To apple, an ipad is an ipad. 

Now I am not an analyst and the numbers above are used conveniently merely for illustration, they are not professional sales projections.

It's the same thing with the Ipod classic, nano, shuffle and touch again. 

In another thread, I predicted easily 30% or more of the 100 miillion existing IPAD users would be keen to get the mini. 

After my own 2 days experience, I think the percentage could be higher over time.

And we are not even talking about new converts or new tablet buyers. 

Ipad mini looks like a winner going forward.

On another unrelated topic, I have a feeling Apple has alread priced 'retina display' into the ipad mini.

Seeing how Apple likes to keep price constant while improvising new tablet offerings, I can imagine in some future product launch Apple annoucing all the goodies and ugprades for IPAD mini "with no price hike" ....

I am ok to pay a bit more, as long as Apple continues to produce great product.

• Reply 10 of 55

Scenario 3: With mini, Apple sold only 50 million IPAD but sold 150 million mini for next 2 years.

Yeah, that's the only possible conclusion that could ever be reached. ????

• Reply 11 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, that's the only possible conclusion that could ever be reached. ????

didnt he just suggest 3 possible scenarios, why are you claiming scenario 3 as a conclusion?

• Reply 12 of 55
    @wisely: "My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6" - ditto ;)
  • Reply 13 of 55

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

didnt he just suggest 3 possible scenarios, why are you claiming scenario 3 as a conclusion?

Because it's the only real one, and therefore the only one that can matter going forward. I would have been fine if he had listed multiple possible solutions moving forward from this date, but he only put that one—the massively unrealistic one.

• Reply 14 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPadCaseReview View Post

@wisely: "My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6" - ditto image

I have to agree.  I thoroughly enjoyed the mini but ultimately returned it due to the display.

• Reply 15 of 55
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gunslinger wrote: »

I have to agree.  I thoroughly enjoyed the mini but ultimately returned it due to the display.

I think you are lying. If you're not lying, I think you're too fickle to be going into Apple stores.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

This could be another problem or AAPL. IPad users finding out just how good the mini is, so they stop ordering the iPad 4 (and any other big iPads in the future). That means customers would spend a lot less on iPads in the future.

I am sure Apple will not be taken by surprise that the iPad mini becomes the new de facto standard iPad. That is why they priced it like they did. People may opt for the smaller size because of the price, but I think more people will opt for the smaller iPad for the reasons posters have mentioned above.

• Reply 17 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPadCaseReview View Post

@wisely: "My perfect IPAD is probably Mini version 2 with Retina and A6" - ditto image

The question is: If the mini gets a retina display (same screen real estate as the larger iPad) and the same processor - why the 9.7" iPad?

• Reply 18 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Wow! Mine was supposed to ship Nov 21 and I just found out it shipped today! Fabulous!

• Reply 19 of 55
    I ended up getting both the Retina iPad and the mini.

If they release a Retina mini, I will still get the regular res one just because of the saving of $$$ for the data usage. I don't know if they can hit the same weight metric when they add batteries and Retina display to the mini in the next revision. May have to wait longer.

For sharp display, I will use the Retina one especially if they start making work and productivity related software that works well with iPad.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    paxman wrote: »
    The question is: If the mini gets a retina display (same res as the larger iPad) and the same processor - why the 9.7" iPad?

Well, speed, better quality plus other stuff we probably have not seen yet, like the finger printing tech they bought.