First LTE-equipped 4th-gen iPads ship, to be delivered this week

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just hours after Apple sent out word to customers saying their LTE-capable iPad minis were on the way, consumers who purchased the company's cellular network connected fourth-generation iPad were also notified that the devices have shipped and are currently in transit for an expected Friday delivery.

AppleInsider reader Derek was sent an email from Apple saying that his iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular had shipped from a factory in Chengdu, China and is scheduled to arrive by this Friday.

iPad 4 Shipment

It appears that Apple is rolling out the cellular enabled 9.7-inch tablet on the same timeline as its smaller brother, the iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, which also began shipping earlier on Tuesday. Interestingly, both units are bound for Verizon's U.S. CDMA network.

It is unclear how many units are going out, as Derek placed his order five minutes after pre-orders went live on Oct. 26.

The Wi-Fi only version of the fourth-generation iPad hit store shelves alongside the iPad mini in early November. Over the first weekend of sales, more than 3 million copies of the Wi-Fi only iPad models were sold.

While not as hot a seller as the iPad mini, the new full-size iPad sold out of launch day stock in four days. Demand for the tablet may have been affected by the surprisingly short refresh cycle, which saw the old iteration replaced in a little over six months. Instead of a complete redesign, Apple made relatively minor changes by replacing the legacy 30-pin adapter with the new Lightning connector and upgrading the SoC to an A6X processor that doubles the performance of the outgoing model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I'm loving the mini so much I'd almost rather get rid of the iPhone and use the iPad mini for everything, so .... stupid question ...

What exactly happens if you put a phone SIM in an iPad and you get a call? Nothing? Any way to redirect it to a VoIP app?

Will the data connection still work or will it just say "incompatible SIM" or some such?

I'm only three hours in using the mini and already I'd like to ditch all my other devices and just use it instead.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

That order says iPad with Retina display not iPad mini. My iPad mini with AT&T says it will arrive Monday November 19. It is currently in transit by Fedex in SHANGHAI CN

Oops I see that is what the title says my mistake. Just too anxious for my mini that I misread the title.

• Reply 3 of 12
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm loving the mini so much I'd almost rather get rid of the iPhone and use the iPad mini for everything, so .... stupid question ...
    What exactly happens if you put a phone SIM in an iPad and you get a call? Nothing? Any way to redirect it to a VoIP app?
    Will the data connection still work or will it just say "incompatible SIM" or some such?
    I'm only three hours in using the mini and already I'd like to ditch all my other devices and just use it instead.
    You have a cellular Mini already?
  • Reply 4 of 12

The only way I know of to get voice functionality onto an LTE iPad is to use Skype, although, I can tell you it is far from perfect.

First you need a Skype account obviously. Next you need to buy their local phone number service where you choose a phone number in whatever area code you like, so no, you cannot use your current phone number. Next you have to buy some minutes which are pretty inexpensive.

Then just launch your app and leave it running in the background. The only really annoying thing about it is that often when people call you your device never rings and the call goes to voice mail. The problem is that on the other end the caller hears it ring a few times but apparently Skype has a latency in finding your device. By the time they have found you the caller has already been sent to voice mail.

The other downside is for some reason the iOS app loses connection a lot during the calls even when on a really strong WiFi on both ends. The Mac version does not seam to suffer from this problem at all.

• Reply 5 of 12
    Chris Breen of MacWorld said he used the cell option on his iPad twice in year...I'll stick with the wifi only iPad mini. I'll be damned if I'll give AT&T or Verizon another dime! :)
  • Reply 6 of 12
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

You have a cellular Mini already?

no, regular.  but thinking of getting cellular if it can replace phone. 

• Reply 7 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Chris Breen of MacWorld said he used the cell option on his iPad twice in year...I'll stick with the wifi only iPad mini. I'll be damned if I'll give AT&T or Verizon another dime! image

I don't use my cellular very often either but I attribute that to the fact that the iPad 3 is too big and heavy to lug around all the time. The mini, I think, will change that for me as I plan to take it with me everywhere. Besides I think the extra cost is reasonable for the option of having it even if it was turned off which cost nothing since it is month to month. I could always activate it when needed and it also comes with GPS.

• Reply 8 of 12

Quote:

Chris Breen of MacWorld said he used the cell option on his iPad twice in year...I'll stick with the wifi only iPad mini. I'll be damned if I'll give AT&T or Verizon another dime! image

Sounds great until you realize you don't have GPS. That's a dealbreaker for me (as far as the wifi version) I'll pony up the extra cash for the LTE version.

• Reply 9 of 12

There are some decent bluetooth GPS devices that work with the WiFi iPad. These get better reception and can greatly extend your battery usage when recording GPS tracks with the screen off. You can also place the GPS on your dash board or someplace where it has a good view of the sky. They do cost about $100 each though so I still recommend getting the LTE version of the iPad with GPS for only $40 more.

• Reply 10 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »

The 3rd gen LTE chips in the iPhone 5 are the first ones to offer Voice but I doubt that would be active in the baseband chips on the iPads and there is certainly no iOS software for it. IOW, no carrier support for Voice calls.
  • Reply 11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

I don't use my cellular very often either but I attribute that to the fact that the iPad 3 is too big and heavy to lug around all the time. The mini, I think, will change that for me as I plan to take it with me everywhere. Besides I think the extra cost is reasonable for the option of having it even if it was turned off which cost nothing since it is month to month. I could always activate it when needed and it also comes with GPS.

That's interesting...

You guys are suggesting that there may be a market for a Apple Phablet...

On order day, I woke up 3 hours after ordering opened.  I ordered a 16 GB iPad Mini to see what it was all about.  We all have full size iPads (1, 2, 3 models), but everyone fell in love with the Mini.   I gave it to my daughter because it fits in her purse.  The grandkids loved it too -- saying they wanted to "cuddle" it.

I ordered a loaded iPad 4 for myself (shipped yesterday, to arrive on the 21st).

I had an hour or so to play with the 16 GB WiFi Mini... it really hits the sweet spot -- the word that describes it best, IMO, is "desirable"!

I can "totally" see  myself using an iPad Mini Phablet for 90% or more of my mobile needs -- replacing the iPhone and 9.7 iPad when on the go.

For watching movies or reading in bed, I will, likely, still use the iPad 4 (73-year-old eyes).

• Reply 12 of 12
    mstone wrote: »
    Regarding VOIP on iPads
    fazzter wrote: »
    Sounds great until you realize you don't have GPS. That's a dealbreaker for me (as far as the wifi version) I'll pony up the extra cash for the LTE version.
    i use the magicJack app to make crystal clear VOIP phone calls on my iPad 3 - about to be 4 - and my iPhone 5 all the time. Free calls for life. Only have to pay $10 a year to have my old land line number on my free calls account that replaced my $300 a year land line.

I'm not getting an iPad mini until it goes Retina. Spoiled on the Retina iPad 3 & 4 and iPhone 4, 4S & 5.

I'm grandfathered in unlimited data on both my iPad 4 and my iPhone 5. ????