How do I make and Image?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How would I go about making a Cd Disc image that is usable on a PC. Like were I can take a disc, make an image of it from my mac, and still be able to burn it on a cd from a pc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I don't think it works that way. From my experience, Mac images only work on Mac's, and PC images only work on PC's. I may be wrong however, and Brad will rub my nose in the dirt for it.

:cool:
  • Reply 2 of 9
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by Altivec_2.0:

<strong>How would I go about making a Cd Disc image that is usable on a PC. Like were I can take a disc, make an image of it from my mac, and still be able to burn it on a cd from a pc?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Disc Copy. It's in your Utilities folder (BTW I'm assuming you're using OSX, you didn't specify). It will also depend somewhat on the disc you're trying to image. Is it a hybrid disc to begin with? Or is it an audio CD or something?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    as long as the format used on the disc is platform independent you shouldn't have a problem...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    So, if I format a PC disk image on my Mac, it will work on both computers?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    if it's a standard ISO image, I believe, yes. but I would try it with a small Image first.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    If I make a disc image. It'll be image.cdr and/or image.cdr.dmg. Can I just take that Image and rename the extention to .iso? Then If I transfer it over FTP to my PC, can I take that disc image and burn it in nero or some other burning software?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    .dmg files are mac compatible.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    but they are not PC compatible. If I rename the .dmg image to .iso, will it be compatible on the pc side of the world.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    No. Renaming a file's extension does not change its format.

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>