Hotsync Problem...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am new to Mac and I am trying to setup my Sony Clie NR70 to hotsync with my Ti Powerbook. I am using Palm Desktop 4.0 and have also downloaded the new conduit for Entourage but no matter what program I use I get the following message:

"Unable to initiate Hotsync operation because port is in use by another application."

The only thing plugged into my USB ports on the back are my mouse and the cradle for the Sony. Any clues to assist me in solving this dilema will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    we don't have enough info:

? Operating System ? (10.1.5 or 10.2.1 or ...)

? What kind of mouse ? (belle, don't you !)

? anything that could be useful to us.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks for the reply and sorry about not providing enough information. I am running 10.2.3 as I have just updated it. Before the update it would not hotsync either. I don't think the problem could be with the mouse, it is an Apple Pro Mouse. I use Entourage with Service Release 1 and the new conduit from Microsoft installed. I also have Palm Desktop 4.0 installed.

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: mcpaulus ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    if you switch the mouse and the cradle and try again ?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I tried that the first time I got the error message. It did not work and the exact same error message came up again. I am at wits end and it is driving me crazy. I use the Clie everyday for appointments, etc. I really need this to work and hope there is a workable solution as I find the new OS easy to use except for this. I was hoping that by switching to Mac I would never be bothered with this kind of stuff again. Oh well...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    are you using 'the missing sync'? i have a sony clie syncing with my ti book. had to install palm desktop 4 first, then (buy) and install the missing sync. made sure i grabbed the .point update and it works a dream -- memory stick appears on the desktop and in itunes and everything...

• Reply 6 of 8
    I have not tried the "missing sync" progam but others have mentioned it. I was hoping there was a fix I could do in the preferences somewhere. I suppose I will get the this utility program. What do you mean by the ".point" update? Do you have a link? Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    <a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=missing+sync"; target="_blank">My name is google and I'm ready to help you. </a>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Missing Sync solved the problem I was having with hotsync on my Ti. Thanks to all who provided the good advice. Since I am a newbie, the next time I have a problem getting to know how the Mac works, I will know where to go for a quick and accurate answer. Peace.