eBay launches new store for Apple certified refurbished products

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
eBay earlier this month introduced a new section to its website dedicated to Apple certified refurbished products, including numerous iPads, MacBooks and iPod touches.

eBay's new Apple Certified Refurbished Product store currently lists a variety of MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad and iPod touch products. The online retailer and auction house says each product has passed through the same quality inspection as those refurbished products available on Apple's own online store, and each comes with the same full one-year warranty. Additionally, all iPads and iPods include a brand new battery.

For example, an Apple-certified, third-generation, Wi-Fi-only iPad with 32 gigabytes of storage can be had for $469. And a 15-inch MacBook Pro with a 2.4-gigahertz processor, 4 gigabytes of RAM and a 750-gigabyte hard drive is $1,699.

iPad

eBay and AppleInsider also recently teamed up to create an Apple product auctions web application, offering readers a streamlined view of the auction website's Apple product listings, with advanced controls to help filter through tens of thousands of listings by model, year, price, and more.

ebay

The web app is currently accessible as a beta at www.appleinsider.com/auctions/ and feedback and feature requests are welcome at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Why not buy directly from Apple? Prices are the same. And who looks after the warranty? Apple or eBay?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Why buy it from eBay when you can buy referbs directly from Apple?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Slow day? I wouldn't waste my time. If I want one I'll get it from Apple's clearance section.
  • Reply 4 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

Why buy it from eBay when you can buy referbs directly from Apple?

There are people that don't have any idea that Apple sells referbed products, but do shop eBay.

• Reply 5 of 17
    Hmm... The article failed to include a piece of information I consider critical. Assuming a laptop comes with the standard Apple one-year warranty, can I extend my coverage to the full three years of AppleCare as I would be able to had I purchased a refurb directly from Apple. I would assume that to be the case, but it's not really specified anywhere. Anyone have the answer?

Should that be possible, I'll give you all an answer to the "why would I want to buy this from eBay instead of Apple" question: TAXES. Apple charges them. eBay to the best of my knowledge, does not.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The OP only mentions a brand new battery coming with the refurbs from eBay. When buying directly from Apple, you also get a brand new outer shell in addition to the brand new battery. Maybe the OP just forgot to include that info and the eBay refurbs also include a new outer shell, but I thought that it was worth pointing out.

I just bought a fourth gen iPod Touch from the Apple refurb store last week. It was sent directly from China, and I just received it a couple of days ago. I wasn't really planning on getting one, but when I saw the hilarious price ($129), it was a no brainer.

• Reply 7 of 17
    This seems useful if apple runs out of stock, but I think I would buy from apple first.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Yes you can add Applecare for an Apple Certified Refurb:
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

For those who wonder why buy from ebay - the ebay site has MUCH larger audience, plus as someone else says here, not everyone is aware that Apple make refurbs available.

Can't be bad IMHO.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Simple. Apple is doomed. Defective products piling up. People discarding Apple for Android and Windows 8.

Respectfully submitted,

iHaters Amalgamated Local 21

• Reply 10 of 17
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The OP only mentions a brand new battery coming with the refurbs from eBay. When buying directly from Apple, you also get a brand new outer shell in addition to the brand new battery. Maybe the OP just forgot to include that info and the eBay refurbs also include a new outer shell, but I thought that it was worth pointing out.

I just bought a fourth gen iPod Touch from the Apple refurb store last week. It was sent directly from China, and I just received it a couple of days ago. I wasn't really planning on getting one, but when I saw the hilarious price ($129), it was a no brainer.

There's not enough information to form a conclusion on the refurbishment process here. I quoted the section below where it refers to them as "Apple certified". That could be just how it's worded, or it could be that Apple is selling off excess refurbished stock to ebay.

Quote:

eBay earlier this month introduced a new section to its website dedicated to Apple certified refurbished products, including numerous iPads, MacBooks and iPod touches.

• Reply 11 of 17
    Are they crazy? Ebay allows counterfeiters and illegal use of the Apple logo on counterfeit storefronts. I've sworn off ebay because they are only interested in their percentage and do almost nothing to back up customers who have no way of knowing the seller is selling junk. I bought a "Mophie" Juice Pack from flyzone1000 and when it stopped working I sent it to Mophie. They recognized it as counterfeit and sent it back (both ways at their own expense).

Neither ebay nor flyzone1000 would do anything to remedy the problem. Flyzone1000 wouldn't even reply to email or phone calls.

And though ebay has said many times they would do things, they always fell short of their promises, always requiring me to call them to get a response, but never following through.

So though I suspect the Apple refurb store on ebay would be legit, I won't spend any money through ebay.
  • Reply 12 of 17

I just had to make this decision minutes ago.  My girlfriend needs a new router and I wanted to purchase her the latest version of the Apple Extreme.  My choices of where to purchase it were:

Apple.com new price is $179 (+$6 tax +$6 2-day shipping)

Amazon.com new price $170 (w/free prime shipping and no tax).  

Apple.com refurbished price $139 (+$6 tax +$6 2-day shipping)  

Amazon.com "Apple refurbished" price $137 (w/free prime shipping and no tax).

With the Thanksgiving holiday coming this week, and knowing I will be stuck over her place cat-sitting, playing lots of Call of Duty, watching/streaming movies and surfing the net all weekend long.  2-day shipping was an absolute must.  I cannot be stuck anywhere that long without a working, reliable, faster internet connection.  After looking at all the price totals.. I chose the Apple.com refurb and just paid the extra $12 bucks in tax & shipping costs.  

Why?  Because if that refurbished router fails, I have the added security knowing I can call Apple or walk into any Apple store.. without needing the original paper reciept (Apple emails you an electronic reciept that I never delete).. and walk out with a brand new one.  That type of customer service and convenience, is worth the extra money in my opinion and part of what makes "The Apple Experience" so great.  Because they design & sell products with the ENTIRE user experience as the highest priority.  

Anyone who has dealt with consumer electronics, knows theres always a chance that these devices do malfunction and/or break.  And being able to immediately take that device to a store, swap it for a new one and be on your way.. all in 10-15mins.  Is a WAY better experience that dealing with tech support, mailing things off and waiting weeks for a possible fix/replacement to be mailed back.  I would have loved to have purchased the $137 "Apple refurbished" model from Amazon.com.. but I just dont trust that 1) Its a real Apple refurb (new outer case, new cables, full 1 year warranty) and 2) That I can take it to the local Apple store if I have any problems with it.

• Reply 13 of 17
    I have never bought a refurbished product from Apple because of sales taxes. This alleviates that. Cool!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Apple charges sales tax, most on eBay do not. That's why it has an advantage. Instead of refurbs, I look for older models on clearance from authorized resellers. That is always a better deal.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple charges sales tax, most on eBay do not. That's why it has an advantage. Instead of refurbs, I look for older models on clearance from authorized resellers. That is always a better deal.

That may change in the near future.

• Reply 16 of 17
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Weird how this story spread with so many misconceptions (not all in this article and comments). eBay doesn't run stores. eBay customers can set up stores. It's not at all unusual to sell through eBay at a fixed price, rather than an auction. It's very unlikely Apple set this up themselves because they'd have to charge sales tax in every state where they operate (probably all states).

The seller specifically claims the items are "Apple certified refurbished" which means they should have a new serial number and be possible to sign up for AppleCare. Since the store is still up, it seems it's legit, because Apple could have taken it down by now.

What I wonder is if Apple is opening up selling refurbs through other outlets, why just this one?

• Reply 17 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Simple. Apple is doomed. Defective products piling up. People discarding Apple for Android and Windows 8.

Respectfully submitted,

iHaters Amalgamated Local 21

I'm reminded of a post by a confirmed hater of all things Apple who claimed that he knew that Apple products were not what Consumer Reports and other sites claimed, using their silly objective data and such. He had been in an Apple store and saw that it had nothing but Apple products being worked on... not one PC in there! So in his mind, that meant that Apple products needed constant repairs. I asked him what he thought of Mercedes products. He took the bait and said they made great cars. I told him that I had recently been in a Mercedes dealership and they had nothing but Mercedes being worked on... not a Toyota or Honda in sight! So that must mean that Mercedes cars have lots of problems. 

Time to short AAPL. The end is near. *lol*