iPhone 4S will not restore and can't find service

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently have been having battery issues and replaced my battery. Everything was working fine except the battery % was stuck at 83% so I decided to do a restore on my phone (software is os 6.01). The restore errored out with an unknown error and now my phone will not stay on unless plugged in and cannot find service or use wifi. I tested my SIM card out on another 4s and it worked fine. My phone number does not show in settings either on my phone. I had a broken power button so decided to fix that with my phone not working and now when I try to restore, iTunes states that it cannot contact the software update server. Any advice? My phone is not jail broken but willing to try that as my phone is no longer under warranty

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    What do you mean "replaced your battery", and "fixed your power button"? You did it yourself or brought it in to apple to do it?

And when you tried to restore, you did it tethered through iTunes, yes?
  • Reply 2 of 6

We did it on our own because my phone was out of warranty. My original battery was overheating so we replaced it with a 3rd party battery. Everything was working fine after installing the new battery except for the battery usage %. Once I tried the restore is when everything went downhill. After the failed restore, we decided to go ahead and order a new power button and install that to see if that helped since it had not been working properly for some time and it made things better but did not fix my finding service issue

• Reply 3 of 6

I forgot to answer the second part of your response... Yes, the phone was tethered to itunes. I backed everything up first which went fine. I tried tiny umbrella after the failed restore through itunes and that did not help either.

• Reply 4 of 6
    I forgot to answer the second part of your response... Yes, the phone was tethered to itunes. I backed everything up first which went fine. I tried tiny umbrella after the failed restore through itunes and that did not help either.

Sounds like something went awry when you put the phone back together after replacing the battery.

Apple charges a flat fee of $150 for out of warranty service, which to me looks like a much better deal than saving a few dollars and risking what happened to you.

At this point I would try taking it apart again, and putting it back together.

Then if that fails, your only recourse is to put the original battery back in and take it to the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 5 of 6

I tried using redsn0w to restore the os 6.01 ISPW while in DFU mode and towards the end of the operation my phone starts blinking the apple symbol and the process fails. Any suggestions would be greatly apperciated

• Reply 6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightbirdCO View Post

We did it on our own because my phone was out of warranty. My original battery was overheating so we replaced it with a 3rd party battery. 

The battery connectors are right next to the antenna connectors. It's very possible that something didn't get plugged in correctly and that's why you are getting fails in getting connections. It's also possible that the battery wasn't totally plugged in correctly or that 3rd party battery is shit. 

If you take it into an Apple Store and keep your mouth shut about having done any work on the phone yourself then you might get away with it and they will replace it at cost for you. However if they catch you up on the battery not being Apple etc then you are SOL. Terms of service are very clear that any tampering of any kind, even a battery replacement, by someone that isn't certified by Apple to do work on their stuff voids all rights even to paid service. And they have ways to flag it in their system so all stores and even Apple Care know that it was done (a lesson my boyfriend learned the hard way when he tried to replace his own broken display)