Updated Apple 'spaceship' campus plans posted to Cupertino city website earlier than expected

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming hours after a report that Apple's new Campus 2 project would likely see a delayed completion, the city of Cupertino posted to its website the latest plans submitted by the company earlier this month.

Apple Campus 2
Rendering of the main "spaceship" building on Apple's Campus 2. | Source: City of Cupertino

While not much has changed from the original Campus 2 submission, which was filed in June 2011, the updated plans offer insight into Apple's construction timeline, with the current completion date standing at sometime in 2016.

It was reported earlier today that the city of Cupertino took receipt of Apple's revised project submission on Nov. 14, which noted a possible delay due to the site's environmental impact study. Currently, estimates have the report scheduled for completion in June 2013, meaning that the earliest Apple can break ground is next year.

?They could conceivably break ground in 2013, but only if everything goes smoothly,? Cupertino city manager David Brandt said of Apple's project. ?The project is running a little bit slow.?

The city's director of community development, Aarti Shrivastava, on Tuesday said the recently-submitted plans would likely be posted after Thanksgiving, allowing time for the site to add additional servers for an expected crush of curious Apple fans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    That is one large courtyard.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I thought parking was going to be all underground leaving all green land above. Are those two long rounded buildings above-ground parking decks instead?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    citycity Posts: 522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It might have been a good location for the cafe.

• Reply 4 of 10
    citycity Posts: 522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I thought parking was going to be all underground leaving all green land above. Are those two long rounded buildings above-ground parking decks instead?

The plan alway had two long parking structures along the freeway in addition to the underground. It takes a lot of parking stalls for that many employees, especially if most drive solo to work. I hope they stagger the shifts. 

• Reply 5 of 10
    city wrote: »
    It might have been a good location for the cafe.

or a Dell kiosk?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    city wrote: »
    The plan alway had two long parking structures along the freeway in addition to the underground. It takes a lot of parking stalls for that many employees, especially if most drive solo to work. I hope they stagger the shifts. 

But I seem to recall there is also substantial underground parking as well (and hopefully an Arc Reactor that can power Cupertino).
  • Reply 7 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Office chair races every Thursday at 1400hrs. Always a full card, including sprints and enduros.

Cheers

• Reply 8 of 10
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Those parking structures are 75' tall.   Why do I think they're purposely that tall to block a view of the campus from the highway?   I guess the choice is which is the lesser evil:   acres of flat ground-level parking or tall parking structures?

Also, I wonder how the planning board is going to react (although they've probably known this for some time) to the fact that Apple is taking away Pruneridge Avenue from the campus.    

I'm certainly no traffic expert, but I find their calculations of traffic flow in and out of the campus to be absurdly optimistic.   There's really only one main entrance to the garages.  Seems to me that Apple should have built their own exit from 280 directly onto the campus so that drivers didn't have to use any local roads.  Those people in the housing development in the southwest corner are not going to be happy.   

And while Apple is increasing the total number of trees by 50%, there are currently 4506 trees of which Apple is keeping only 838 and transplanting another 83.    Which means that most of the trees will be new and presumably quite small for many years, so the campus will most certainly not look like the renderings. The project will apparently destroy 3600 trees.  I can see a lot of people (especially in California) objecting to that.    Of those trees, they identify 68 "Specimen" trees of which they're keeping 3 and transplanting only 11, although they are planning to replace the 54 specimen trees to be removed with 108 new ones.  

• Reply 9 of 10

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Those people in the housing development in the southwest corner are not going to be happy.

Well, Apple wanted to buy that land in the first place. Maybe it's a big scheme to get that land before the main building goes up! 

Level the land, build all the smaller offices first, move into those, traffic starts up, people get fed up and leave the buildings, Apple scoops up the land, makes their main building that much larger.

• Reply 10 of 10
    zoetmb wrote: »
    Those parking structures are 75' tall.   Why do I think they're purposely that tall to block a view of the campus from the highway?   I guess the choice is which is the lesser evil:   acres of flat ground-level parking or tall parking structures?

1) There is only one road in and out of most international airports I've been to and those well traveled areas with huge parking garages seem to flow very well. That isn't to say that Apple hasn't overlooked a potential bottleneck issue but having one entrance in and out can be fluid if done correctly.

2) Is the parking structure taller than the highly? If so, I wonder if it's to block the noise from the highway.