B&H Photo cuts price of Apple's 2.6GHz MacBook Pro by $300 exclusively for AppleInsider readers

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As part of our effort to serve up the lowest prices on Apple products through our price guides during rough economic times, AppleInsider has teamed with B&H Photo to offer an exclusive $300 discount on Apple's new 2.6GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display ($2,499) for the next two days.

AppleInsider Exclusive

The $300 discount on the current, high-end retail configuration (MC976LL/A) of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display (8GB of RAM/512GB SSD/GeForce GT 650M) is instantaneous when using the links in this article or our Mac Price Guide. The promotion, which offers the lowest price on this model by roughly $190, is valid until 11:59 pm on November 30th.

Buying with AppleCare?

It's also worth noting that B&H is offering Apple's $349.00 3-year AppleCare extended protection plan for just $122 with this MacBook Pro (and all 15-inch MacBook Pros) when purchasing both the Mac and the service plan on the same order. That's a savings of $527 over Apple's MSRP for the same Mac and AppleCare bundle, as can be seen in our Macs with AppleCare Price Guide. Plus B&H also throws in a free copy of Parallels Desktop or FileMaker Bento.

Similarly, all $249.00 AppleCare service plans for 13-inch and smaller MacBooks are just $95 with each Mac purchase. We've published step-by-step instructions on how to make sure you take advantage of these Mac+AppleCare bundle discounts. But in the case of this current offer, simply follow this link to the 2.6GHz MacBook Pro product page, click the blue "ADD TO CART" button. A "Buy Together and Save" window will pop up. First select your free piece of software, then click the "COMPUTER ACCESSORIES" tab on the lower left and add the $122 AppleCare protection. Finally, click "ADD SELECTED TO CART" at the top right of the "Buy Together and Save" window. That should yield a final price of $2,621.00, or $527 off list price.
AppleInsider Exclusive

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24

If there was user upgradeable ram I'd be all over this. The 16gb ram version deals are hard to find and B&H/MacMall are both out of stock. 

• Reply 2 of 24

AppleInsider, for not trying to hide the fact that this is a promotion, I thank you.

• Reply 3 of 24
    I wish I could buy this from Canada...but they won't ship to non-US customers...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Prices are lower at the Apple education store.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Prices are NOT lower at the Apple education store.

The same Mac would be one dollars more, PLUS tax (which depending on where you are could be more than *another* 200 dollars), PLUS applecare would cost 239, which is more than a hundred dollars difference as well. So to put it simply- what the heck are you talking about?

This price is three hundred dollars less then what Apple charges regular customers, one hundred less than what they charge for students and teachers, the AppleCare is over one hundred dollars less, and there is no tax charged unless you live in NY.

Let's look at a New Jersey resident (7% sales tax) as an example:
    MacBook Pro - $2799
    AppleCare - $349
    Tax - $221
    TOTAL: $3,369 vs. $2621 for a savings of SEVEN HUNDRED and FORTY-EIGHT DOLLARS. (Or, four hundred and ninety-six dollars without AppleCare.)

Here's a student in the same state:
    MacBook Pro - $2,599
    AppleCare - $239
    Tax - $199
    TOTAL: $3,037 vs. $2621 for a savings of FOUR HUNDRED and SIXTEEN DOLLARS. (Or, two hundred eighty-two dollars without AppleCare.)

Now let's look at an "ideal" scenario. You're a student, you live in Delaware (no sales tax), and you're not bothering with AppleCare. You would STILL be saving a hundred dollars with this deal.

Not that any of this helps me, since I can't afford this discounted or not! ;) But to say "prices are lower at the Apple education store" is ridiculous.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    How many students have $2.5K to spend on a laptop? Apple overpriced this thing.
  • Reply 7 of 24

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Apple overpriced this thing.

You have no idea what it is or who it's for right now.

• Reply 8 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

How many students have $2.5K to spend on a laptop? Apple overpriced this thing.

Yes, because this product is definitely aimed towards students.

• Reply 9 of 24
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

I paid over $3,000 for mine...from the Apple Store in Texas including sales tax...now I feel like I've lost $600 in less than a few months.

• Reply 10 of 24

Originally Posted by WardC View Post

I paid over $3,000 for mine...from the Apple Store in Texas including sales tax...now I feel like I've lost $600 in less than a few months.

Everybody now!

"Tech changes! Get over it!"

Has a nice ring to it, dunnit? Like "set it and forget it" but with less infomercial and more edginess.

Are you also upset that your LC II won't go for more than a few bucks on eBay? image

• Reply 11 of 24
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member

This would be a great and much-appreciated deal if I were in the market for a MacBook.  But as it stands now, I would appreciate a $300 discount on a new iMac instead.  Any hope for this, AppleInsider?  (Fingers crossed)

• Reply 12 of 24

When i tried to place an order for 14" MBP(Retina) + Parallels + Apple Care i got this note... 

UPS and FedEx orders require a signature upon delivery.

Orders may be delivered in separate shipments.

We are unable to accept orders with a billing address in Florida for the following item(s):

1. Apple AppleCare Protection Plan for 15" & 17" MacBook Pro & 15" MacBook Pro With Retina Display

Please provide a different billing address or click Back to Cart and removethe item(s) from your cart.

WFT? I live in FL so why you cannot offer deal on Apple Care in FL? And what address should I be changing billing address to?

• Reply 13 of 24
    The no tax, free shipping and AppleCare for $122 is a killer. In PA, purchasing from the Apple Education Store is $3008, from BH it is $2621.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    How many students have money for this? Really? My first computer for college was a PowerBook 145B. That thing was more expensive than this. The next year I needed something that could do 3D work....so I got a PowerMac 7100/80, cost me $3500.

I wish I had these computer prices back in the 90's.
  • Reply 15 of 24

Well I hope 8gb ram is enough because I couldn't pass up the deal. Over $800 savings with Applecare over purchasing the same from Apple. Thanks for the promo. 

• Reply 16 of 24

My question for B&H is if their MBP are using the LG screens, which had "Ghosting" problems, or Samsung screen, that I've read, corrected the problem. And why do they say that the MBP will ship with Lion or Mountain Lion since the latter has been out for a few months already.

• Reply 17 of 24

Mine arrives tomorrow. I'll let you know what it arrives with. 

• Reply 18 of 24

Thanks Stuuke. I'll watch for your response and make my decision from there.

• Reply 19 of 24

Uggh, mine has a LG display and Lion. Not sure what I'll do now. 

• Reply 20 of 24

That's what I was concerned about. See, why the heck would these laptops come loaded with Lion when Mountain Lion came out July 25th...they've been sitting around somewhere. Maybe that's the reason for the sale.