Apple's iPad dominates with 71% share of China's growing tablet market

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Tablet sales in China are growing at a fast pace, with Apple's iPad accounting for the lion's share of sales in the world's most populous nation.

New data from Analysis International highlighted by Reuters this week reveals that a total of 2.6 million tablets were sold in China last quarter. That was up from 1.6 million a year prior, marking a 62.5 percent increase in the third quarter.

Of those 2.6 million sales, Apple accounted for 71.4 percent. Apple's share was well ahead of the second-largest tablet maker, Lenovo, which accounted for 10.5 percent of sales.

Taking 3.6 percent of sales was China-based Ereneben, while Apple's rival Samsung came in fourth with 3.5 percent of tablet sales.

The numbers show that the tablet market in China grew faster than Apple's overall iPad sales in the same three-months pan. Apple sold a total of 14 million iPads worldwide in the September quarter, which was a 26 percent increase from the same period a year prior.

iPad mini

The numbers also suggest that Apple has an even larger share of the tablet market in China than it does worldwide. Figures that were released in June showed Apple with a 65 percent share of tablet shipments, below the 71 percent Apple accounted for in China.

Worldwide iPad sales are expected to grow considerably this quarter with the launch of the new fourth-generation iPad, as well as the smaller 7.9-inch iPad mini. Launch weekend sales earlier this month topped 3 million, and subsequent reports have said that iPad sales have been even stronger than Apple's suppliers anticipated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26

Yeah, Apple's failing in China all right.

• Reply 2 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Failing upward, apparently. image

• Reply 3 of 26
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The numbers show that the tablet market in China grew faster than Apple's overall iPad sales in the same three-months pan.

Show me a whole year's pan, and I'll be convinced...

:)

Anyway, this is great news for Apple, though the total tablet sales are much lower than I would have expected for China.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Since Apple is the only one with real sales numbers they could be at 100% or 90% of the market, 71% is too low.
  • Reply 5 of 26

Yeah...

That doesn't include the iPad Mini...

• Reply 6 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

But...but...but... fandroids say... Android... but... but... Android tablets are superior... but... everyone iSheeps.... but...

Oh never mind.  /s

• Reply 7 of 26
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

I wish there was a Mac related site that NEVER mentioned market share, stock price or lawsuit... and instead we just got information on Apple(related) news, rumors and products.

• Reply 8 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I wish there was a Mac related site that NEVER mentioned market share, stock price or lawsuit... and instead we just got information on Apple(related) news, rumors and products.

On the other hand, I like all sides of Apple's business. Things like shuffling of personnel internally don't interest me as much, but I'll read it.

• Reply 9 of 26

I am at COP18 in Doha, Qatar. Some 13K - 17K in attendance. Pretty much every nationality is here.

I am stunned at the amount of iPads I see in use -- I'd say, conservatively, at least a quarter of the delegates (perhaps far more).

Haven't seen a single Android tablet yet, although I've seen a reasonable number of Android phones, typically being used by delegates from LDCs. 

So I am not surprised to see this headline. Indeed, I would have expected it to be a higher proportion.

• Reply 10 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am at COP18 in Doha, Qatar. Some 13K - 17K in attendance. Pretty much every nationality is here.

I am stunned at the amount of iPads I see in use -- I'd say, conservatively, at least a quarter of the delegates (perhaps far more).

Haven't seen a single Android tablet yet, although I've seen a reasonable number of Android phones, typically being used by delegates from LDCs. 

So I am not surprised to see this headline. Indeed, I would have expected it to be a higher proportion.

Is this the conference where nothing ever happens?

• Reply 11 of 26

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Is this the conference where nothing ever happens?

That's every conference except the ones put on by Apple, I thought…

• Reply 12 of 26
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who said they were failing in the China market? Some Android biased journalist?

• Reply 13 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Good luck. I think at some point they will always cover market share, stock price and lawsuit information.

Macrumors is pretty good, and so is 9to5Mac.

• Reply 14 of 26

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, a couple users here.

• Reply 15 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

But...but...but... fandroids say... Android... but... but... Android tablets are superior... but... everyone iSheeps.... but...

Oh never mind.  /s

But Samsung makes Apple's processors, so Samsung is better...... But, Samsung makes washing machines and clothes driers, so Samsung is better......  But Samsung makes vacuum cleaners.....  and..... and........  They have AllShare........  But, but Samsung has a MicroSD slot...........  But, but....  Samsung has themes...........

• Reply 16 of 26

But, but Samsung has a MicroSD slot...

People still USE this! It's just so funny.

• Reply 17 of 26

But Samsung opened up Samsung stores........ Really?  How many?   That's not the point, Samsung has their own stores...

• Reply 18 of 26

…Samsung has their "own" stores…

Cue the picture of the store with Apple apps on the wall behind it… 

• Reply 19 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    drblank wrote: »

Who better to buy cheap Chinese knockoffs than themselves? Lol
  • Reply 20 of 26

Kasper quoted... "Of those 2.6 million (China) sales, Apple accounted for 71.4 percent... SNIP... while Apple's rival Samsung came in fourth with 3.5 percent of tablet sales."

Is this Samesung's "China Syndrome" ?