Gmail for iOS updated with new look, Kindle app expands X-Ray feature

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Tuesday released a major update to its Gmail iOS app, with a new look and several new features headlined by multiple-account support. Amazon also rolled out a new version of its Kindle app, which sports deeper integration of its touted X-Ray feature.

Gmail 2.0

Gmail

In a post on Google?s Official Gmail Blog, Product Manager Matthew Izatt said his team began rebuilding the Gmail for iOS application six months ago. The goal was to create what he called a "faster, sleeker, and easier experience on iOS."

The result is Gmail 2.0, which hit the App Store on Tuesday. The new version comes with a design overhaul that bears more than a passing resemblance to Sparrow, the Apple-oriented email client acquired by Google in July.

The applications leo adds support for multiple accounts, enabling users to add up to five Gmail addresses. The full list of features included in the updated application are:
  • Multiple account support
  • App redesigned with a new, cleaner look
  • Search predictions as you type
  • Infinite scrolling inbox
  • Respond to Google Calendar invites inline
  • Interactive Google+ posts support
  • New welcome experience

Kindle 3.5

Kindle

Amazon also unveiled a significant update Tuesday for its popular Kindle for iOS. Amazon's competitor to Apple's iBooks has added deeper integration of its X-Ray for Books technology, which was previously exclusive to textbooks. Now, with version 3.5, it has been extended to all books.

X-Ray allows readers to explore "the bones of a book" ? that is, tapping on pages will produce more information about "notable characters, places and phrases."

The Kindle 3.5 update also includes improvements to Manga images.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

X-Ray allows readers to explore "the bones of a book" ? that is, tapping on pages will produce more information about "notable characters, places and phrases."

Sounds like a glossary. Sounds exactly like a glossary. Does it really need a fancy name?

• Reply 2 of 23
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds like a glossary. Sounds exactly like a glossary. Does it really need a fancy name?

Take a look at the screenshot on the left in the story.  Those little blue bars show all the instances of the selected phrase throughout the book.  For example, you can see at a glance that first character show appears in the beginning and the end of the book, but hardly at all in the middle.  On the other hand, the third from the bottom is much more significant showing up throughout the book.  I don't know that the X-ray name is a good one, but it does way beyond a glossary.

• Reply 3 of 23
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

And still no YouTube app for the iPad...

• Reply 4 of 23

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Take a look at the screenshot on the left in the story.  Those little blue bars show all the instances of the selected phrase throughout the book.

Oh! A visual glossarindex, then. That's sort of neat. I wish Apple would incorporate that into iBooks Author. Oh! I'd love also if when you add a word to the glossary, the application would automatically go through and link back all other instances of that word to the same glossary reference. That way I wouldn't have to go through and do it manually. Because that's ridiculous.

• Reply 5 of 23

Quote:

It is and it isn't.  On the one hand, its main use is in defining terms (more than dictionary definitions--it also has information on characters and sometimes terms specific to a book, which can be very useful), but on the other, it also shows instances of where a term pops up in the book.  It's nice, but unessential.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new Gmail app when I get home.  I love Sparrow, but now that it's certain it will never get push support, hopefully the Gmail app becomes as good as it is.

• Reply 6 of 23
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    john.b wrote: »

Jasmine is excellent. It's better than the official youtube app on iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 23

Google voice got an update as well.  Now update YouTube for iPhone and all is good.

Waiting for the google maps crowd to wonder when they will release their iOS app.  

• Reply 8 of 23
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Oh! A visual glossarindex, then. That's sort of neat. I wish Apple would incorporate that into iBooks Author. Oh! I'd love also if when you add a word to the glossary, the application would automatically go through and link back all other instances of that word to the same glossary reference. That way I wouldn't have to go through and do it manually. Because that's ridiculous.

I doubt that's something that needs to be part of iBooks Author (although, it perhaps could be). I'm guessing Amazon is just running the text through some sort of auto-index software to generate metadata for X-Ray. Apple could do the same once books are submitted. For textbooks, it seems useful, for other non-fiction perhaps as well. For novels, unless you are really "studying" the book, not as much.

I'd just be happy if the iBooks dictionary had definitions for more of the words in many of the books I've side-loaded into iBooks. Admittedly, some of the words I've tried to look up and not been able to find are a bit archaic (e.g., from the Diary of Samuel Pepys), but still, it is English.

• Reply 9 of 23

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I doubt that's something that needs to be part of iBooks Author (although, it perhaps could be).

One click bibliographies shouldn't be a part of iBooks Author?

• Reply 10 of 23
    Does Google Really need there own google mail app, they could do google maps or a redone youtube app designed for IPad/iPhone 5. Never mine about the upgraded youtube literally came out while posting.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    eksodos wrote: »
    john.b wrote: »

Jasmine is excellent. It's better than the official youtube app on iPhone.

Jasmine is indeed excellent (on the iPad, haven't tried it on the iPhone but no reason to think it would too different). A lot of thought and care has gone into the design/aesthetics/usability. A real pleasure to use.
  • Reply 12 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Not true. Also updated today with iPad support and iPhone 5 support. For some reason though, only showing up in the Check for Updates part of the App Store.

• Reply 13 of 23
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerR32 View Post

Not true. Also updated today with iPad support and iPhone 5 support. For some reason though, only showing up in the Check for Updates part of the App Store.

Nice bit of revisionism.  It wasn't released when I posted that.  (I checked.)

Still, glad that it's finally been updated.  AirPlay support is especially nice.  Kudos to Google for getting this out.  I personally use Jasmine (and will continue to) but my son found that it didn't behave right with certain things like (IIRC) playlists and some types of subscriptions.  He'll be a happy camper.

• Reply 14 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Nice bit of revisionism.  It wasn't released when I posted that.  (I checked.)

Still, glad that it's finally been updated.  AirPlay support is especially nice.  Kudos to Google for getting this out.  I personally use Jasmine (and will continue to) but my son found that it didn't behave right with certain things like (IIRC) playlists and some types of subscriptions.  He'll be a happy camper.

I wasn't calling you a liar, nor otherwise calling you out. Just pointing out that the youTube app was in fact updated today as well. But feel free to be a dick about it.

• Reply 15 of 23
    After trying out the new Gmail app, I can say that, while it's better than it was before, I'm disappointed. Sparrow still has a nicer UI and does a better job of exposing functionality to the user (I think it has more features, too). Google should just rebadge Sparrow (since they own it), give it push support, and call it a day.

At least Youtube also got an update.
  • Reply 16 of 23

I'm pulling the handbrake here. It was a simple error of information; nothing to get upset about.

• Reply 17 of 23
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

[...] I wish Apple would incorporate that into iBooks Author.

What's iBooks?

Oh, is that the eReader that the author doesn't let you use on the best of its very own products? Since I use a multi-kilobuck MacBook Pro and not a cheap little consumption device, I am apparently not entitled to use it.

No big deal. I just direct the revenue to Amazon instead.

• Reply 18 of 23

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

What's iBooks?

Oh, is that the eReader that the author doesn't let you use on the best of its very own products? Since I use a multi-kilobuck MacBook Pro and not a cheap little consumption device, I am apparently not entitled to use it.

No big deal. I just direct the revenue to Amazon instead.

Your point is WHAT, exactly? 

• Reply 19 of 23
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Your point is WHAT, exactly? 

My point is that comparing Kindle to iBooks is like comparing InDesign to TextEdit.

• Reply 20 of 23

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

My point is that comparing Kindle to iBooks is like comparing InDesign to TextEdit.

Right, iBooks is InDesign and Kindle is TextEdit. I don't think you're giving Kindle enough credit, though.

Now, iBooks Author compared to… whatever is used to make Kindle books? I dunno. But that's what we're talking about here, see. There was zero reason for you to insert the stuff about not being able to read them on your Mac.