OS X Server updated with new Caching service and bug fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Two days following an update to its iWork line of products, Apple on Thursday released OS X Server v2.2 for Mountain Lion, bringing a new Caching service and numerous bug fixes to its server software for Mac.

OS X Server

The new software updates OS X Server v2.0 and v2.1 with a new feature called Caching service that, according to Apple, speeds up download and distribution process of apps managed through the Mac App Store. Among the issues resolved with the update is a problem that would cause the Messages service to not start, as well as overall "general enhancements."

From the release notes:
Caching service

Introduces a new feature called the Caching service, which speeds up the download of software distributed by Apple through the Mac App Store. It caches both software updates and purchased apps from the Mac App Store. For more information about the Caching service, choose Server Help in the Help menu.
Server app
  • Addresses an issue in which attempting to change the blacklist server used by the Mail service might not work.
  • Includes general enhancements.
Adaptive Firewall
  • Addresses an issue that caused an exception to be raised when using the hb_summary tool.
    Calendar service
  • Addresses an issue in which Calendar invitations were always sent in English.
    Includes general enhancements.
Mail service
  • Addresses an issue in which freshclam and clamav do not provide logs about upgraded systems.
  • Resolves an issue in which the quota hard limit was not being respected.
  • Addresses an issue in which certain settings weren?t maintained when upgrading from a previous version of OS X Server.
Contacts service
  • Corrects an issue in which under certain circumstances, the service would not start when using a non-default location for the data store.
  • Adds the ability to search for records containing non-English characters.
Messages service
  • Resolves an issue where under certain circumstances, the service would not start when using a non-default location for the data store.
Profile Manager
  • Adds the ability to use Active Directory groups with Profile Manager.
  • Adds the ability to delete apps uploaded to Profile Manager.
  • Includes performance and other general enhancements.
The update is recommended for all user OS X Server users and can be downloaded and installed through the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    But no fixes for the totally F-ed up DHCP server and netboot server? Greaaaaaaat.
  • Reply 2 of 8

feedback my friend.

• Reply 3 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Well the caching features are improving. I'll get to dig in to the gritty details later. I'm expecting to buy my Mac mini and run it as my home server in a couple of weeks.

• Reply 4 of 8
    anybody managed to get this update yet? Software update keeps saying no updates available and going to the Apple website for downloads just results in a page that doesn't complete.

The downloads page on Apple's website keeps having this issue for me over the past few weeks/months and across different browsers/machines/network connections.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I've updated my 4 servers at work. No troubles at all. You may look into troubleshooting connections to Akamai. Apple uses them to do their downloads and updates.

On another note, I hope that we are seeing server turn the corner. It had been shedding features since 10.5. Hopefully now that it is distributed through the app store and decoupled from mainline OS X updates we can see more progress. Mail services in particular could use some love.
  • Reply 6 of 8

So somebody is still using OSX Server? I thought it was axed.

• Reply 7 of 8

Updated it at work.  Lets see how caching works over a period of time.

• Reply 8 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member

Well here's a weird bug being reported: 

Typing F:/// into just about any app window on OSX will crash it. 

As someone mentioned at another site, how do you report the exact syntax to Apple as a bug needing a fix?imageimage