New Apple Stores opening in Hong Kong, Australia & Sweden; NJ stores renovated

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This Saturday will be a big day for Apple Retail, with four new stores set to open across the globe. Also, two stores in New Jersey have also been renovated in time for the holidays.

GSP
Apple's new Garden State Plaza store in New Jersey opened on Saturday.

New stores this Saturday

A total of four new Apple Stores will open this Saturday ahead of Christmas, according to ifoAppleStore.com: The MixC store in Chengdu, China, will open at 8 a.m.; the Fountain Gate store in Australia will open at noon; the Causeway Bay store in Hong Kong will open at 9 a.m.; and the Emporia store in Sweden will open at 10 a.m.

Perhaps the most impressive of the new locations is the Causeway Bay store in Hong Kong's Hysan Place. It features a massive glass front that has been under construction for some time, as seen in photos provided to AppleInsider in October.

The Hysan Place store will be the third Apple Store to open in Hong Kong to date. This September, the company also opened a store at Kowloon's Festival Walk.

Retail renovations complete

A pair of Apple Stores in New Jersey have also been recently renovated and are ready to open. The state's Rockaway mini Apple Store is set to open in its new 6,000 square-foot space this Saturday at 7 a.m.

GSP
Photos of Apple's re-opened Garden State Plaza store via AppleInsider reader Ryan.

AppleInsider reader Ryan was also on-hand at Apple's new Garden State Plaza store, which celebrated its grand re-opening this past Saturday.

The previous store was located to the right of the new location. The new, larger store features a double-sized Genius Bar to serve more customers ? a feature that has become common among Apple's newer retail locations.

GSP
Photos of Apple's re-opened Garden State Plaza store via AppleInsider reader Ryan.

Apple opened a total of 33 new brick-and-mortar stores during is fiscal year 2012, 28 of them outside of the U>S.. The total number of worldwide Apple Stores is 390.

Apple plans to open another 30 to 35 additional stores during the current fiscal 2013, which runs through September of the next calendar year. About three-quarters of the new stores will be located outside of the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

FROM 2007 Article:Amazon's Kindle light a fire under eBooks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's a bit of pie in the sky. What will. these Kindle versions cost? From what we see of electronic publishing, the cost will be close to the paper version.

There are other problems too.

One is that it can't reproduce color in any way (as I've already mentioned, and you didn't acknowledge), which makes many texts almost useless. I'd just hate to try to use my Gray's Anatomy in B/W, for example.

The other is that if you can buy a used text, which many students do, because they aren't updated THAT often, at least most aren't. You can sell it back, or to another student. You will recoup about half the cost.

How is Amazon working that out? So far, you can't resell an electronic text.

And the cost of the Kindle, unless included in some deal with texts that are needed by the individual student, will still add almost $400 to that text book price, which could raise the electronic text price over the four years (assuming the device lasts four years of daily hard use) to much more than the paper versions would cost when everything is taken into account.

Maybe someday, this will work. But the technology isn't yet up to it, and the costs aren't either. I'd love to see textbook companies sell $50 texts for $20 in electronic form, but I wouldn't wait for it.

How far we have come.

• Reply 2 of 8

Hopefully the Australians can navigate to the new store without dying of exposure or dehydration. 

• Reply 3 of 8
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Are we sure the count is 390? Wikipedia lists 395, and ifoAppleStore lists 397. I tend to trust the latter.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Are we sure it's 390? Wikipedia lists 395 and ifoAppleStore.com lists 397. I tend to trust the latter.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    A new store in the King of Prussia mall, Pennsylvania, also opened this past weekend. The store is much larger than the old one (which was just down the corridor). It was a badly needed expansion, especially considering KOP is the largest mall on the east coast.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    napoleon_phoneapart pretty sure that most australians are stronger than your attempts at humor.. ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celco View Post

napoleon_phoneapart pretty sure that most australians are stronger than your attempts at humor.. ;-)

Meh. :D

• Reply 8 of 8
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Hopefully the Australians can navigate to the new store without dying of exposure or dehydration. 

I'm still on iOS5, so I should be ok, unless I get knocked off my bike by a kangaroo or mauled by a wombat.