Can't Put App In Trash

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I started downloading the update to iCal but decided to abort. I have the icon on my desk that says: iCal.dmg. It will not go into the trash. I get a screen prompt saying, basically, other things are running at the moment. How to I delete it. Many thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    you used IE, didn't you ?

get yourself <a href="http://macchampion.com/arbysoft/"; target="_blank">BatChmod</a> and update the privileges on the file to make absolutely sure it's yours. then trash it again.

HTH
  • Reply 2 of 3
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Yup, I.E. Can't I go into the Get info panel and change some of the settings or something like that. I'm the only user of the computer.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>I get a screen prompt saying, basically, other things are running at the moment.</strong><hr></blockquote>You should never force a file to delete if the OS says it's in use by another program. If you can't find the app that is holding on to it, logging out and back in should kill all user processes and thereby release the file.

Barring that, try a restart.

If a restart fails to release the file then you probably have some filesystem damage (*shrug* I SO wish Apple would make journaling easier to enable for novices.). I'd suggest you boot from the OSX Install CD and running the Disk Utility functions, then restart normally and try deleting the file.