B&H offering $120 off WD 6TB My Thunderbolt Duo Dual-Drive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
WD

AppleInsider partner B&H is currently offering Western Digital's 6-terabyte My Thunderbolt Duo Dual-Drive Storage System for $479 with free shipping. That's $120 off the regular price of $599 while supplies last. The accessory comes with dual Thunderbolt ports capable of up to 10 Gb/s data transfer rates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    LOL, I just added two 3 TB HDDs to my Mac Pro for a grand total of $280.

Funny thing, since those drives went INSIDE my Mac Pro, it's thinner than a new iMac with some big-arsed TB enclosure and a rat's nest of cables.

• Reply 2 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Funny thing, since those drives went INSIDE my Mac Pro, it's thinner than a new iMac with some big-arsed TB enclosure and a rat's nest of cables.

So, what you are saying is that if I want to add 6 Gigs of storage to my Macbook, I should buy a Mac Pro, and I can get one for $280? Amazing!

• Reply 3 of 5

Originally Posted by RangerD View Post

So, what you are saying is that if I want to add 6 Gigs of storage to my Macbook, I should buy a Mac Pro, and I can get one for $280? Amazing!

He's not saying that at all, but I also don't understand why he thinks what he's saying is a valid rebuttal to the idea of this external storage.

• Reply 4 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

News flash...bare hard drives are cheaper than those enclosed in cases with Thunderbolt connectors.

• Reply 5 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member

LOL ... A few weeks ago I purchased 2 seagate 3TB 7200 rpm 6/Gbs SATA III drives for 189 which included 2 day shipping.... You should shop around some... Internal drive deals are popping up everywhere.

As far as 6TB external drives in a thunderbolt enclosure for $480 ... Well I'll leave justifying the extreme tax thunderbolt is costing up to the potential buyer but it would be a cold day in hell before I shelled out that much of a premium, I could have purchased 4 of the drives PLUS a budget 4 bay external enclosure with eSATA & USB3 out.... No raid mind you but I can do that in OSX if I really wanted to.

As I've grown my storage pool to over 18 TBs I've decided the desire to RAID all the drives into ONE big pool is just foolish ... For my uses anyway... Having all the drives individual is so much nicer when a drive eventually goes bad. It's all stuff I can re-rip when the time comes... 18TB just doesn't backup all that well.