Time Magazine names Apple's iPhone 5 its 'Gadget of the Year'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In its annual list of the best gadgets available, Time has named Apple's new iPhone 5 the top device of 2012, while the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display also made the cut.

The magazine's list, compiled by author Harry McCracken, praised the iPhone 5 as "one of the most artfully polished gadgets anyone's ever built." He said it outperforms other "nifty" smartphones, like Samsung's Galaxy S III.

"When it comes to melding hardware, software and services so tightly that the seams fade away, Apple still has no peer," he said.

iPhone 5

In taking first place, Apple edged out Nintendo's newly released Wii U game console. The new platform includes a controller with a tablet-style touchscreen.

Though the Wii U GamePad is tablet-like, it's not a direct competitor to Apple's iPad, as the controller is actually driven wirelessly by the Wii U console. As such, Nintendo's new GamePad accessory cannot be used as a gaming or tablet-style device on the go.

Also on Time's list is Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, taking sixth place. McCracken called Apple's top-of-the-line notebook a "joy to use."

The full list of Time's 'Top 10 Gadgets' of 2012 is included below:
  • 1. Apple iPhone 5
  • 2. Nintendo Wii U
  • 3. Sony Cyber-shot RX100
  • 4. Raspberry Pi Model B
  • 5. Lytro
  • 6. Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
  • 7. Microsoft Surface with Windows RT
  • 8. Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • 9. Nest
  • 10. Simple.TV

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The full list of Time's 'Top 10 Gadgets' of 2012 is included below:

• 1. Apple iPhone 5

• 2. Nintendo Wii U

• 3. Sony Cyber-shot RX100

• 4. Raspberry Pi Model B

• 5. Lytro

• 6. Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

• 7. Microsoft Surface with Windows RT

• 8. Samsung Galaxy Note II

• 9. Nest

• 10. Simple.TV

Unfortunately, with the inclusion of #7, we understand that this list is a joke. Well, we didn't need Time magazine to tell us the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone, but, I'm not really sure how you compare a smartphone to a thermostat and say which is "better".

• Reply 2 of 45

Apple needs to buy Lytro. 

Reinvent an industry that no one thought needed reinventing. That's the Apple we know and love.

• Reply 3 of 45

Of course it is. It's another quality Apple product. The fit and finish of the hardware, the polish of iOS, and the focus on User Experience. Apple has enough respect for their product to not not license it out to OEMs. 

And so on and so on. 

• Reply 4 of 45
    Where's the iPad mini? Finally got my hands on one yesterday. Amazing sleek little beast.
  • Reply 5 of 45

Was 'durability' considered as part of the judging criteria?  The anodize aluminium on the iPhone 5 can't withstand even a tiny scratch.  

• Reply 6 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    <<scoffs>> fanbois /s
  • Reply 7 of 45
    capoeira4u wrote: »
    Was 'durability' considered as part of the judging criteria?  The anodize aluminium on the iPhone 5 can't withstand even a tiny scratch.  

I've had iPhone 5 since launch, no case, and after careful inspection anyone would conclude that it's brand new out of the box. I've even been less careful about setting it on hard surfaces than I was with my iPhone 4, so I'm not sure where all the talk of how fragile it is comes from.

Interesting that iPhone topped the list and iPad isn't even on it though.
  • Reply 8 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple needs to buy Lytro. 

Reinvent an industry that no one thought needed reinventing. That's the Apple we know and love.

I was under the impression that Lytro camera lenses required a fair bit of depth to get the directional light information, and couldn't go into any of Apple's thin devices?

• Reply 9 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Unfortunately, with the inclusion of #7, we understand that this list is a joke. Well, we didn't need Time magazine to tell us the iPhone 5 is the best smartphone, but, I'm not really sure how you compare a smartphone to a thermostat and say which is "better".

It's a list of gadgets, not phones. So... the author can put his favorite things of anything that exists in gadget form. 

I'm sure the times is pissing off subscribers that are samsung fan. As of the surface in # 7  spot... I've tried a samsung android tablet and did not like it as much as iOS iPad, but it was way better than the surface. Seemed jerky. 

• Reply 10 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6ryph3n View Post

I've had iPhone 5 since launch, no case, and after careful inspection anyone would conclude that it's brand new out of the box. I've even been less careful about setting it on hard surfaces than I was with my iPhone 4, so I'm not sure where all the talk of how fragile it is comes from.

My charcoal iPhone 5 looks brand new too. Maybe if the original poster didn't use his to smash open walnuts it would look brand new too...?

I imagine the iPad Mini would have made to cut, but to have THREE Apple products on the list would have look too fanboyish... Besides, they did include the Samsung product with Apple UI....

• Reply 11 of 45

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I was under the impression that Lytro camera lenses required a fair bit of depth to get the directional light information, and couldn't go into any of Apple's thin devices?

Sure! Now.

• Reply 11 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

More fabricated F.U.D. Repeating a lie doesn't make it true.

• Reply 13 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

It is a great gadget but lacks the definition of the iPhone lens. Besides Apple's software does a bit of what the Lytro camera does with hardware.

• Reply 14 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

But C|net just announced that the Galaxy SIII was the greatest gadget. Who to believe, who to believe? Time Magazine or C|net?

• Reply 15 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Every iPhone ever created has been fragile in one way or the other. 

It has done nothing at all to lessen its desirability. 

I'd rather have the iPhone 5's finish and just take care of it. Other phones feel cheap and flimsy by comparison. 

• Reply 16 of 45

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It is a great gadget but lacks the definition of the iPhone lens. Besides Apple's software does a bit of what the Lytro camera does with hardware.

Before the shot is taken. Not after, which is the point.

Is there a camera without auto-focus these days?

• Reply 17 of 45
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6ryph3n View Post

I think it partially depends on color. White seems to show scratches less. It is also possible, Apple has tinkered with the coloring process. During the first few months of production, it is common for manufacturers to refine the process.

• Reply 18 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

My charcoal iPhone 5 looks brand new too. Maybe if the original poster didn't use his to smash open walnuts it would look brand new too...?

I imagine the iPad Mini would have made to cut, but to have THREE Apple products on the list would have look too fanboyish... Besides, they did include the Samsung product with Apple UI...

Same here - a month into heavy daily usage and not even a tiniest of scratches. Looks BNIB, truly outstanding! Whatever they did, man, works miracles!

• Reply 19 of 45
    Nice that Nest made the cut as well.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    I hadn't heard of the Simple.TV, but that looks pretty cool. I can't imagine ever buying a camera, so no thanks Sony.