32GB (2x16GB) not yet being sold?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited March 2015

I noticed that some laptops with mobile Core i5 and Core i7 can handle 32GB but because some laptops only have two memory slots they can only get to this memory size by two 16GB SODIMM modules.

Would anyone have an idea when these will be sold?

And please, no "what do you need a 32GB in a laptop for?" questions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

I don't believe the sticks exist yet, is all.

Remember, 640k ought to be enough for anyone. image

• Reply 2 of 22
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    You will probably not see 16 GB SODIMMS until DDR4.
  • Reply 3 of 22

It appears that (2x16GB) 32GB will become available as a DDR3-1866 module by the time Intel Haswell starts shipping. CORSAIR and Kingston are already selling smaller capacity modules at that speed.

• Reply 4 of 22
    It appears that (2x16GB) 32GB will become available as a DDR3-1866 module by the time Intel Haswell starts shipping. CORSAIR and Kingston are already selling smaller capacity modules at that speed.

How do you figure? RAM speed is different from RAM capacity. I have seen 16 GB DIMMS though not SODIMMS.
  • Reply 5 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

How do you figure? RAM speed is different from RAM capacity. I have seen 16 GB DIMMS though not SODIMMS.

Demand for higher density modules is more with desktops than mobile.

• Reply 6 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Demand for higher density modules is more with desktops than mobile.

That, and it might be because there's only so much board area to put chips. A bigger DIMM is going to fit more or bigger chips.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Given that Ivy Bridge can handle a max of 32 GB of RAM, I would like to have a 2 x 16 GB setup even though I am not even using the 8 GB I have now in my 2011 Mac mini. If a 32 GB option were available for the Mac mini and 15" MacBook Pro, I can only imagine what Apple would charge for it.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    winter wrote: »
    Given that Ivy Bridge can handle a max of 32 GB of RAM, I would like to have a 2 x 16 GB setup even though I am not even using the 8 GB I have now in my 2011 Mac mini. If a 32 GB option were available for the Mac mini and 15" MacBook Pro, I can only imagine what Apple would charge for it.

I think it might work, but as yet, I've not seen any such SODIMMs available yet. Often, a machine is capable of more than what Apple says, but if a size isn't available in good quantity to test, they don't claim it's capable.

I don't know if it's worth getting 4x what you think you need. It might be cheaper to get 2x what you need, and if/when you need to expand again, the additional 2x will probably be a LOT cheaper by then, and you replace your memory at that time.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Yeah I don't feel like spending the money for the 16 GB and if a 2x16 setup were possible, I probably would not take advantage until it was about as cheap as 2x8 is now.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

32GB in a notebook remains a specialty use case today. It's basically covered by the "mobile workstation" variants as many of them can take 4 sodimms.  I'm not talking about the ones that cram in desktop parts. There are several that are simply beefy notebooks in the 6 pound range. It's even a specialty case on Windows, as desktops remain a better overall fit for those kinds of requirements. Supposedly 32GB works on Sandy as well. It's just unlikely that we'll see any 16GB sodimms that are compliant with Ivy Bridge. For desktops and workstations, I've seen them down to a little over $200. I doubt they're incredibly popular. You can get to 32GB on a single package workstation with 8GB dimms. A 12 core workstation can get to 64 GB without the use of 16GB dimms. At that level, it is possible to consume that amount of memory with highly parallel tasks. I still get pageouts at 16GB on my notebook. The ssd helps alleviate that somewhat. I meant it helps alleviate the speed hit.

• Reply 11 of 22
    I won't be buying an Ivy Bridge computer. I will be buying either a Haswell computer or possibly even a Rockwell computer (which might be DDR4 by that time).

By then I'll either have a Mini (next year) or possibly even an iMac or Mini (2014).
  • Reply 12 of 22

Quote:

I won't be buying an Ivy Bridge computer. I will be buying either a Haswell computer or possibly even a Rockwell computer (which might be DDR4 by that time).

At least intel will be somewhat more up to date with OpenCL/OpenGL framework support by that time. They've been playing catch up for several years at this point. It was definitely needed given the trend toward further levels of integration. Anandtech has a nice article on Haswell in case you're interested.

• Reply 13 of 22

The author's view is very special, It's beneficial to my study and life.So,I am consent with the author's word absolutely.I like to  Diablo 3 and looking forward to play with you:[url=http://www.rsgold2buy.com/]RS Gold[/url]

[url=http://www.vipdiablo3.com/]Diablo 3 Items[/url]

[url=http://www.rsgold2buy.com/]Runescape Gold[/url]

• Reply 14 of 22

As far as I'm concerned,Diablo 3 is very intersting. Buying Diablo III Gold from vipdiablo3 is the most convenient and fastest way.I can always get a secure delivery within 15mins minutes ,they can always make sure my enjoying not being disrupted and having execute more exciting:

[url=http://www.rsgold2buy.com/]Runescape Gold[/url]

[url=http://www.d3face.com/]Diablo 3 Gold[/url]

[url=http://www.topgw2gold.com/]Guild Wars 2 Gold[/url]

• Reply 15 of 22
    You meant by Haswell time, correct? Not Rockwell?
  • Reply 16 of 22

Quote:

You meant by Haswell time, correct? Not Rockwell?

Somehow I missed this. Yes I meant Haswell.

• Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Remember, 640k ought to be enough for anyone. image

There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.

• Reply 18 of 22

When I last looked into this because I use tons of RAM for my virtual machines at work, there were challenges with timing or something along those lines as such it was stated there would be no DDR3 16 gig modules we would have to wait for DDR4 to get modules of that density. However things are always changing and it might be possible with DDR3 now.

• Reply 19 of 22

Intelligent Memory is making them!  

http://www.intelligentmemory.com/dram-modules/ddr3-so-dimm/

• Reply 20 of 22

"Sampling" - meaning very limited supply and it would probably only go to preferred customers, and the final customer would probably paying a very high price.