Android growth prior to iPhone 5 launch further established market dominance

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Smartphones running Android saw double-digit marketshare gains in the third quarter as Apple?s iOS lost substantial ground, leading one analyst to question whether Google's OS could be in a position to take over the entire market.

Galaxy S III

In a note to investors on Monday, Charlie Wolf of Needham & Co. said that Android?s market share rose to 72.4 percent in September, up from 64.1 percent quarter-to-quarter, while Apple saw its share slip to 13.9 percent from 18.8 percent over the same period.

Wolf was quick to point out that Apple's numbers were likely impacted by hesitant consumers who put off new iPhone purchases ahead of the iPhone 5?s September release. However with Android now accounting for almost three-fourths of the market, the analyst speculated that the smartphone industry may soon become a one-horse race.

?As we have discussed in previous reports, we think a ?winner-take-all? outcome is possible, but highly unlikely,? wrote Wolf, who last week said that the launch of Google Maps on the iPhone was a ?mixed blessing? for Apple.

Struggling smartphone maker RIM saw BlackBerry market share rise from 5.2 percent to 5.3 percent, but that figure was still less than half of the company?s 11 percent stake a year ago. Microsoft's Windows Phone share decreased from 2.7 percent to 2.4 percent as consumers held out for the October release of Windows Phone 8.

As for the hardware market, Wolf said Samsung was the clear winner after taking a a 32.4 percent share on shipments of 54.1 million units, a 129 percent year-over-year increase from 23.6 million units in the third quarter of 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 185
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Apple is doomed.

• Reply 2 of 185
    Why publish this crap?
  • Reply 3 of 185
    LOL. "One horse race." Even if that happens, and there is effectively no more competition, the Fandroids will never, ever say "Google needs competition."
  • Reply 4 of 185
    Meanwhile iOS still has more traffic than Android by almost 2:1 for phones and 9:1 for tablets.

When Android internet traffic passes iOS, then they can claim the smartphone or tablet crown. Until then they don't "own" anything.
  • Reply 5 of 185
    I still would rather have a iPhone that is fairly resilient to malware attacks compared to the Android system which as I we all know is just as hackable as Windows 95 was when it first came out and you are constantly seeing exploits that hack the system even further.

People are really taking a big risk with anything that has to do with the Android system, from banking to their personal information.
  • Reply 6 of 185
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Windows poised to take over PC market....

Android posed to take over smartphone market...

Apple to continue making all the profits.

Does that about cover it?

• Reply 7 of 185
    Use Lightning adapter as an model, Apple could do the unthinkable: License iOS to OEM's
  • Reply 8 of 185
    So, just because the last quarter android sold 70pc of smartphone sales, we assume android's marketshare is about 70pc? Please... Kill yourselfs. First of all, samsung did not sold all those units, then android did not sell like that, then apple never sold as many phones as they do now, then the difference between the iphone and the others was never as big, developers prefer iOS more and more.... Just wait until the market saturates. Apple was never as good as it is now, please stop publishing crap.
  • Reply 9 of 185
    Besides the fact that this analyst is full of nonsensical BS, Apple is making more money than all the Android smart phone companies combined and selling every iPhone they make, I think they'll be ok.
  • Reply 10 of 185
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 11 of 185
    Not the first time Charlie Wolf "cried wolf."
  • Reply 12 of 185

We better all start buying more furniture with drawers to put all these Android phones in. I'll do a web search on my iPhone and see what's available.

• Reply 13 of 185
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

The headline doesn't seem to accurately describe the information they cited. In the quote below, he's just acknowledging the possibility in an extremely skeptical tone. This is one of those times where I feel like I've been trolled by Appleinsider.

Quote:

?As we have discussed in previous reports, we think a ?winner-take-all? outcome is possible, but highly unlikely,? wrote Wolf, who last week said that the launch of Google Maps on the iPhone was a ?mixed blessing? for Apple.

• Reply 14 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

So, just because the last quarter android sold 70pc of smartphone sales, we assume android's marketshare is about 70pc? Please... Kill yourselfs. First of all, samsung did not sold all those units, then android did not sell like that, then apple never sold as many phones as they do now, then the difference between the iphone and the others was never as big, developers prefer iOS more and more.... Just wait until the market saturates. Apple was never as good as it is now, please stop publishing crap.

I think I need a decoder ring to read this

• Reply 15 of 185

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Meanwhile iOS still has more traffic than Android by almost 2:1 for phones and 9:1 for tablets.

When Android internet traffic passes iOS, then they can claim the smartphone or tablet crown. Until then they don't "own" anything.

Another shift of the goal posts.

Here's a brief history of claims on this site:

1. Android phones will never sell in Apple's new market.

2. Android will never outsell iOS.

3. No single company will sell more phones than Apple.

Do you see the trend?  The business model for Android lends itself to market domination, and whether or not you want to believe it, Android will control the smartphone market within a couple years.  But Apple is not going anywhere.  Apple will continue to gain sales but at a rate that gives them a shrinking portion of the pie.  Get your head out of the sand!

• Reply 16 of 185
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Implying that Apple might disappear completely from the market is quite a stretch.
  • Reply 17 of 185
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

A 5 dollar whore, standing on your average street corner, is going to blow more guys in one night than the exclusive upscale whore who works in a classy hotel. Who makes more money per night?

Everybody knows that Android phones cater to the lowest common denominator, the broke ass customer who hardly uses their phone as a smart phone and customers who have gotten their phones for free or in BOGOF deals.

As long as Apple is around, Android will never take over the smartphone market, what a stupid assertion to make. Apple still has the best devices, the best ecosystem, the best support, the best customer satisfaction and the best apps/software. Hundreds of millions of people use iOS devices.

It's not, and it shouldn't be Apple's goal to own all of the smartphone market. As long as Apple holds a decent piece of it, selling their premium devices, then all will continue to be fine. Apple should not enter the business of making junk for junky people.

• Reply 18 of 185
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Apple is doomed.

This analyst is basing his information on the Pre-iPhone 5 introduction in a slow quarter.  COMPLETE IDIOT.

Apple's ALWAYS builds up pent up demand during the 2 to 3 months prior to a major product announcement.  It has already been stated that a lot of corporations that are currently using RIM are going to go with iPhones. 

Sorry, but this analyst is a complete IDIOT.  He probably went to a Samsung event and got drunk off the wrong Kool Aid.  Sorry, but this guys is completely wrong.

I would say that it's probably a 60/40 split, THAT I could believe.  It's still to early to tell since Apple is STILL signing up cell carriers.  Still way too pre-mature.

• Reply 19 of 185
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    ... and this is why I think Apple is serious about diversifying the iPhone lineup. expect an iPhone Nano next year.
  • Reply 20 of 185
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Another shift of the goal posts.

Here's a brief history of claims on this site:

1. Android phones will never sell in Apple's new market.

2. Android will never outsell iOS.

3. No single company will sell more phones than Apple.

Do you see the trend?  The business model for Android lends itself to market domination, and whether or not you want to believe it, Android will control the smartphone market within a couple years.  But Apple is not going anywhere.  Apple will continue to gain sales but at a rate that gives them a shrinking portion of the pie.  Get your head out of the sand!

I see Android controlling the cheap smartphone sales, that I would believe, but there isn't much money in that market segment.  How many Android phone mfg are there?   I think I counted about 20.  Only maybe 4 or them sell enough to make a OK profit, so I see a LOT of fall out with Android mfg., but then again, most of them don't make much money.  The Nexus products that Google has private labeled, don't make Google hardly any money.  There's not money in private labeled products at those price points.