Apple's iCloud sees more outages following iCloud Status webpage redesign [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
In what is becoming a monthly routine, Apple iCloud users are experiencing outages for a number of services, including email and syncing to the cloud.

Update: As of 3:49 p.m. PST, all iCloud services are up and running.

iCloud Outage
Source: Apple

Just days after Apple released a revamped iCloud Status page, an unknown issue is already putting the new system to the test as "some users" are shown as being unable to access certain iCloud services.

Monday's disruption comes one month following a significant issue with iMessage and FaceTime services in November. It was reported in September that 1.1 percent of Apple email users were hit with an outage, the cause of which was never revealed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Another problem argh, Icloud for me has not worked smoothly lately.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

In what is becoming a monthly routine...

Monthly? As in, once a month? Once? Har har.

• Reply 3 of 30

I don't think my iCloud has ever worked. I gave up trying to fix it.

• Reply 4 of 30
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Eddy Cue is responsible for iCloud....and this is the guy Tim Cook gave maps and Siri too. Hmm.... :\
  • Reply 5 of 30
    The transition of MobileMe accounts to iCloud accounts was, and continues to be, one of the worst nightmares for customers that I know of.
    A million times worse than the Maps debacle.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Remember .mac? I like .mac. It was nice and the name mac being some thing that made you feel you were part of a mac experience. Then they changed it to mobile me. What a friggen joke. Now it's iCloud. Ok, I like that but what the hell? since steve has left things are not what they have been. Please. Get the secret black department of the US Government that is in in contact with the extra terrestrials and get steve reanimated to help us. My god people. What are you doing to this company?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I said it the last time you tried to make a story out of this trivia, but this new system is worse than useless.

When talking about a world-wide cloud service, using the term "some users" and a percentile of people affected gives you almost no relevant information at all. Tens of thousands of people could be without vital services and it would still show up as a small percentile of "some users." Whole countries, states, or provinces could be without service and it would still show up as a small percentage.

Useless.

What would actually be helpful, is something that tells you what the status of services are for *you* in *your* country or area. Anything else is just something to look at while you rage about the fact that your email is down.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The transition of MobileMe accounts to iCloud accounts was, and continues to be, one of the worst nightmares for customers that I know of.

A million times worse than the Maps debacle.

Hyperbole much?  

Objectively, the transition from .Mac to MobileMe was far worse, so if the Maps "debacle" as you call it was a disaster, and the transition to iCloud was a "million times worse" then the transition from .Mac to MobileMe must have killed at least a few hundred people and decimated the economy the way you describe it.  

I don't really remember that happening though

• Reply 9 of 30
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I don't think my iCloud has ever worked. I gave up trying to fix it.

Interesting... I'm constantly on iCloud and have noticed occasional outs but not enough to force me to question the service.

All the best.

• Reply 10 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Interesting... I'm constantly on iCloud and have noticed occasional outs but not enough to force me to question the service.

All the best.

My accounts with Apple have been messed up for ages. I forget the story behind it precisely (as this has been happening for years) but I had multiple accounts, at some point they got merged and nothing has ever worked properly since. 

• Reply 11 of 30

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

…I had multiple accounts, at some point they got merged and nothing has ever worked properly since. 

How, since Apple specifically doesn't do this?

• Reply 12 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How, since Apple specifically doesn't do this?

I had a developer account which shared the same email,and about 4 years ago Apple merged the accounts. This was specific to developer accounts.

• Reply 13 of 30
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Hyperbole much?  

Objectively, the transition from .Mac to MobileMe was far worse, so if the Maps "debacle" as you call it was a disaster, and the transition to iCloud was a "million times worse" then the transition from .Mac to MobileMe must have killed at least a few hundred people and decimated the economy the way you describe it.  

I don't really remember that happening though

me either.  I still used my .mac email as my main account and can use .me or .icloud.  I have had an outage twice in 10 years.

• Reply 14 of 30
    I hadn't realized just how extensive the iCloud services are.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    I have some Numbers spread sheets on an iPad. Tonight I can not get them. The cloud is down for me. I need to put these on Dropbox.
  • Reply 16 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hadn't realized just how extensive the iCloud services are.

Same here.

I recognize almost every single service. But when you see them in a list or grid like that .... holy crap!

What is impressive is that there is a short list of companies all providing a similarly complex web of services that we have come to take for granted: Amazon, Google, Microsoft, even Yahoo ....

Then you start to appreciate why Nokia adopted Windows Phone. Stephen Elop probably recognized that even with their resources and the head start they had in mapping, they couldn't catch up on other fronts.

Then you start wondering about HP .... Meg Whitman has declared that HP would re-enter mobile once they figured out their angle of attack. Well, any angle of attack that is narrow just won't cut it anymore because as larger as HP is, can they catch up and offer a similar web of services?

Then you start wondering if RIM has a chance, even if BB10 turns out to be a killer phone.

Guess I am rambling ...

• Reply 17 of 30
    The cloud is now on for me. I put the spread sheets in Dropbox.
  • Reply 18 of 30

Originally Posted by lanceh5 View Post

The cloud is now on for me. I put the spread sheets in Dropbox.

Sort of defeats the purpose, dunnit? I mean, it works now. You had a setback of 43 minutes.

• Reply 19 of 30
    I stopped using iCloud as a primary email provider a while ago. I only use it to sync my contacts, and since i don't add them that often, it doesn't affect me that much. But still... wasn't the whole point of iCloud to make it a lot better than MobileMe? It seems to me it sucks as much as MM.
  • Reply 20 of 30

iCloud works perfectly here, MobileMe was slow but i never felt it slower till i used iCloud and i'm happy with both the services as they works nicely. atleast for me.

love the sync of contacts, emails, reminders, calendars, photo stream (love the comments on the picture), iMessage is very nice, FaceTime works well.

only thing i'm waiting for is add the game scores through game center iCloud id and sync all the scores between the devices…