Tim Cook named runner-up for Time's Person of the Year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Time on Wednesday announced President Barack Obama as the magazine's Person of the Year 2012, with Apple CEO Tim Cook being a runner-up next to Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai, Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, and scientist Fabiola Gianotti.

Time Person of the Year
Special Time cover features Person of the Year runner-up Tim Cook. | Source: Time

In Time's runner-up profile, the magazine described Cook as "the Technologist" who took over as CEO of the biggest company in tech shortly before legendary tech innovator and Apple cofounder Steve Jobs died in 2011.

"He inherited the most valuable company in the world from one of the greatest innovators in history. In 2012 he made Apple his own," Time said.

The magazine pointed out that Cook's ascension was the first transfer of power in Apple history to not involve the ousting of the former CEO.

"Each time the way that the CEO was named was when somebody got fired and a new one came in," Cook said. "Steve wanted the CEO transition to be professional. That was his top thing when he decided to become chairman. I had every reason to believe, and I think he thought, that that was going to be in a long time."

While Jobs' choice to tap Cook as his heir apparent was questioned at the time, the new Apple CEO dispelled any doubts as to his ability to lead after raising the company's market capitalization $137 billion. Apple is now worth more than Microsoft and Google combined, leading closest runner-up and former world's largest company Exxon Mobil by $83 billion.

In the three-page profile, Time's Lev Grossman describes Cook as almost the polar opposite of Jobs, saying he's "a seducer, a Southern drawler, slow and soft-spoken."

Reiterating previous quotes given to other media outlets, Cook said Jobs didn't want to a facsimile of himself running Apple, nor did he want that person burdened by his shadow.

"He said, "From this day forward, never ask what I would do. Just do what's right,"" Cook said of Jobs.

The bio goes on to draw out a timeline of Cook's early days, from his birth place of Mobile, Ala., to his graduation from Auburn University to his time at IBM and Compaq.

Cook took the reins from Jobs in August 2011, a little over one month before Jobs passed away following a long bout with cancer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Im surprised.  I think he should have made 2nd.

• Reply 2 of 30
    Incredible good photo of Cook. Not a Rembrandt lighting, but a good lighting nonetheless.

Well, with him as a runner up, I guess this article indeed shouldn't have been posted on PO. Good for Tim to be honoured by this. Have any of the other CEO's been in the spotlight like this before? (In the positive meaning of the word, that is)
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Well if he can't be Time Man of the Year, can they at least give him a Nobel Peace Prize?

• Reply 4 of 30

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

…one of the greatest innovators in history….

Oh, no. Oh. No. Secure those lines! Anchor the cannons! Batten down the hatches! We need to be ready for this storm! And I'll keel-haul the fool that decided to go fishin' for the Anti-Apple Brigade!

• Reply 5 of 30
    Man of the year? Here come the haters in 3,2,1...
  • Reply 6 of 30
    "Cook's ascension was the first transfer of power in Apple history to not involve the ousting of the former CEO."

Forgive me, but if death isn't "ousting," I don't know what is.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rbryanh wrote: »
    "Cook's ascension was the first transfer of power in Apple history to not involve the ousting of the former CEO."

oust |oust|
    verb [ with obj. ]
    - drive out or expel (someone) from a position or place

Jobs stepped down.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    taddtadd Posts: 136member

Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi and Tim Cook in the same club?  I'm not sure Mr. Cook should be very happy with that.  

• Reply 9 of 30
    Good story about apples current CEO
  • Reply 10 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Jobs stepped down...

... in August of 2011. A couple of months before he passed away.

* as it states in the article

• Reply 11 of 30
    tadd wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(85,85,85);font-family:FranklinGothicFSCdRegular;font-size:20px;line-height:22px;">Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi and Tim Cook in the same club?  I'm not sure Mr. Cook should be very happy with that.  </span>

Can you elucidate?
  • Reply 12 of 30

Can you elucidate?

"Candidates for recognition by a magazine" seems to be the club to which he's referring.

Sort of expando ad absurdum.

• Reply 13 of 30
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

No forgiveness needed, as you obviously are just clueless and have no concept of what ousting means.

• Reply 14 of 30

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

No forgiveness needed, as you obviously are just clueless and have no concept of what ousting means.

Pull in the reins a bit. I think we've covered that. Not that I don't agree with you, but in different words.

• Reply 15 of 30
    Sort of expando ad absurdum.

That sounds like a Harry Potter spell that will inflate someone to the size of giant ballon.
  • Reply 16 of 30

That sounds like a Harry Potter spell that will inflate someone to the size of giant ballon.

With a silly face on it.

• Reply 17 of 30
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

"2nd runner up" is actually *not* "runner up" at all.    

"Runner up" is supposed to be used to label the next person who *would* have won the contest, *if* there were any more places to be awarded.  

The whole "2nd and 3rd" runners up is a recent PC fiction intended to act as a panacea for losers. If the prizes awarded are first and second place, then the "runner up" is third.  If (as is the case here), there is only one first prize "Person of the year" then whomever was second was the "runner up." 

Tim Cook won third place, but is not the "runner up." He just missed it actually. 

• Reply 18 of 30
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    rbryanh wrote: »

Then you clearly don't understand the meaning of the word.
  • Reply 19 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Incredible good photo of Cook. Not a Rembrandt lighting, but a good lighting nonetheless.

Well, with him as a runner up, I guess this article indeed shouldn't have been posted on PO. Good for Tim to be honoured by this. Have any of the other CEO's been in the spotlight like this before? (In the positive meaning of the word, that is)

Steve Jobs was photographed with very similar lighting for the April 12, 2010 issue of TIME: no fill light for strong shadows, and the key light illuminating about 3/4th of the face from a high position (you can see the reflection in his eyes). I think it's a loop-light portrait. I'd have also picked a photo of Cook smiling, but that's purely an aesthetic choice.

• Reply 20 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    And the share price will drop by another 5 points.