Apple's new iMac confirmed to be incompatible with VESA mounts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In somewhat of a regression in function from its predecessors, it has been confirmed that Apple's new iMac line of all-in-one desktops are not compatible with mounts certified by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA).

iMac

Although the new iMac is thin and light, making it a prime candidate for various alternative mounting positions such as on a wall, Apple did not design the unit to be used with VESA-compatible mounts. The company has previously offered VESA support on earlier iMacs and the current Thunderbolt Display.

Apple blog MacTrast received confirmation of the change in email form on Thursday, confirming what many suspected as there has been no mention of VESA compatibility since the iMac was unveiled in October.

"The new iMac is not VESA mount compatible at this time," said an Apple representative. "We appreciate your feedback on this feature and will take it into consideration."

The statement is in line with an on the Apple Online Store product page for a VESA mount adapter kit does not mention the 2012 iMac as a supported model.

It is unknown why Apple chose not to offer VESA mount support, but it can be speculated that the radical new design of the iMac was a contributing factor. In lieu of an Apple-made product, third-party manufacturers are working on VESA adapters that attach directly to the built-in stand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    That is somewhat of a shame. Have iMacs mounted in a few locations at offices.

Could it really not be added or could they not be bothered / see little use for it now?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    relax
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Doesn't matter. Just don't hold your iMac this way.
    /stevemode=off
  • Reply 4 of 21

"THIS IS PROOF THAT APPEL WILL RELESS A TV. NO IMAC MOUNTING MEANS SOMETHING HAS TO FILL THE GAP."

• Reply 5 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is really stupid on Apples part as it just makes it that much harder to place iMacs in certain locations. Further iMac stands are pretty low on the ergonomics scale so this removes iMacs from consideration from anybody susceptible to repetive stress issues.

More and more I'm coming to the conclusion that Apple wants the desktop line up to fail. This is a tiny feature that can be and has been easily engineered into the iMac so you have to wonder what is up.
  • Reply 6 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

/stevemode=off

ROFL!!

• Reply 7 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is really stupid on Apples part as it just makes it that much harder to place iMacs in certain locations. Further iMac stands are pretty low on the ergonomics scale so this removes iMacs from consideration from anybody susceptible to repetive stress issues.

More and more I'm coming to the conclusion that Apple wants the desktop line up to fail. This is a tiny feature that can be and has been easily engineered into the iMac so you have to wonder what is up.

The notebook line is certainly where the money is these days, but from an ergonomics standpoint it's hard to find anything worse. If you have to use an external display, external kb and a mouse or trackpad to make the computer ergonomic it's not really portable anymore so you might as well be using a desktop.

As for trying to kill the desktop I disagree. Apple wouldn't have gone to such lengths to redesign the iMac with a new manufacturing method if their goal was to kill it.

• Reply 8 of 21

On my Apple wish list is a VESA mount for a coffee cup and also I'd like a curved top, that way Apple can advertise their new iMac with the line...Apple is domed.

• Reply 9 of 21
    Just because Apple does not make one, does not mean it won't be available. Relax dude! Soon a third-party accessories maker will come up with one that fix to an iMac like a rear case w/ built-in VESA mount/screw holes.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is a tiny feature that can be and has been easily engineered into the iMac so you have to wonder what is up.

I've suggested before that aesthetics tend to be prioritized over functionality in a lot of these devices. In notebooks thin and light contributes to functionality. The VESA mount was the only way to gain height or positioning adjustment with an imac. I've always disliked the fixed height stand in general, but now they're lacking any kind of option.

• Reply 11 of 21

Don't be silly. If you had needed vertical adjustment, it would have been there. Just stand back and think: My GAWD, I really don't need to adjust my monitor vertically!!!!

Welcome to the post-VA world. Looking at a monitor is SO last year. 

• Reply 12 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It is unknown why Apple chose not to offer VESA mount support, but it can be speculated that the radical new design of the iMac was a contributing factor.

That's obvious. The bulbous shape of the housing would demand an unusaually formed adapter plate that Apple didn't care to take the time to engineer. If the Vesa plate returns, it will be for a future revision of the iMac, and only because customer demand sufficiently encouraged Apple to take the time to engineer it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In lieu of an Apple-made product, third-party manufacturers are working on VESA adapters that attach directly to the built-in stand.

Obviously, this doesn't fix the problem, as the stand still takes up the same footprint and obstructs full articlulation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Just because Apple does not make one, does not mean it won't be available. Relax dude! Soon a third-party accessories maker will come up with one that fix to an iMac like a rear case w/ built-in VESA mount/screw holes.

There is no "rear case". The new iMac is two parts glued together. The body (into which everything is screwed) and the display.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Don't be silly. If you had needed vertical adjustment, it would have been there. Just stand back and think: My GAWD, I really don't need to adjust my monitor vertically!!!!

This is tongue in cheek, but vertical adjustment is not the only problem with the iMac stand. It takes up a square footprint on the desk, and juts out several inches from the rear of the housing, which prevents it from being mounted reasonably on any writing desk with a hutch. Mounting from above with a Vesa arm solves this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"THIS IS PROOF THAT APPEL WILL RELESS A TV. NO IMAC MOUNTING MEANS SOMETHING HAS TO FILL THE GAP."

This is rediculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

There is no rear case, the new iMac is in two parts that are glued together. The body (into which everything is mounted) and the display.

• Reply 13 of 21

I talked to the OWC guys that did the tear down of the 2012 iMac 21.5.  The only way to get the stand out is to completely tear the machine apart.  So yes, we can get someone to fabricate a vesa, but at a great cost and risk to put it in.  Another approach that will happen is what http://imacmount.com/ will do.  So technically a vesa, but not for me, as I need a wall mount.  

I think my only option is getting a Mac mini now.  

/stevemode=off  

I personally am harmed by this, and all those add on mount folks now have product that can't be used for this.  Apple, you really let us down here.

Fail.

• Reply 14 of 21
    Apple just does this to piss people off. Different for no good reason at all.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member

I'm not sure what Apple would think they would gain were that the case. :\

The timeframe puts it in the period where Scott Forstall had much more direct influence on things than he does now, but tempting though it is there were others more involved in this design decision than he. Which brings up dome of the rumblings that I've read (on AI at least) about the responsibility of Jon Ive (and the form over function discussion).

It's a shame that the new rear case shape appears to have resulted in the loss of the VESA mount :no:
  • Reply 16 of 21

Yes, I'm sure there will be some kind of hacked third-party kit to make the iMac mountable, but with no way to remove the stand I'm going to have to find a way to saw the dang thing off, which I'm sure you'll agree is a less than ideal solution.  I've relied on mounting solutions for years to keep my desk clutter free and my screen at the ideal position for my eyes.  For Apple to do this is just silly and insulting.

• Reply 17 of 21

Originally Posted by UrbanVoyeur View Post

Next they'll remove the processor from the Mac Mini, just for kicks.

????

• Reply 18 of 21

Don't tempt them.  It would sure solve some of the heat issues.

• Reply 19 of 21
    I'm not sure how it can be VESA "incompatible" if the right kind of mounting device is made for it.

The VESA mount I bought for my old 30" cinema display connected to the display just like its stand did, then the VESA-compatible bracket attached to that mount.

Wouldn't it be the same here for the new iMac? A mount that attaches in lieu of the stand, and then a VESA bracket that attaches to the mount?

If so, this is 'much ado about nothing'…

EDIT: then I read that it may not be possible to remove the stand without a complete tear-down of the iMac itself? Hmmm, that's not a good change…
  • Reply 20 of 21

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I'm not sure how it can be VESA "incompatible" if the right kind of mounting device is made for it.

It's VESA-incompatible in the same way the RAM "can't" be replaced in the 21.5".