Transfer photos from iPhone camera roll *without Photo Stream* or sending...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2015

...them as individual messages?

I'd like to simply sync my iPhone's camera roll to my Mac, import the images in the camera roll to iPhoto, just like I'd sync any other camera I plug into my Mac.

This used to work. I don't know when it stopped working since I haven't worried about this for a while, and I've simply being doing one-off transfers of individual shots to Facebook or e-mail for some time.

As a clunky work-around, I notice I can still see my camera roll as a folder with image files inside via Windows if I connect my iPhone to my Parallels virtual PC. But for handling these transfers more elegantly with just my Mac...

Am I missing something? Or is Apple trying to cajole/force me into sending all my picture through f*cking iCloud? Are they intentionally taking away the non-cloud options for getting images off my iPhone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    shetline wrote: »
    ...them as individual messages?

I'd like to simply sync my iPhone's camera roll to my Mac, import the images in the camera roll to iPhoto, just like I'd sync any other camera I plug into my Mac.

This used to work. I don't know when it stopped working since I haven't worried about this for a while, and I've simply being doing one-off transfers of individual shots to Facebook or e-mail for some time.

As a clunky work-around, I notice I can still see my camera roll as a folder with image files inside via Windows if I connect my iPhone to my Parallels virtual PC. But for handling these transfers more elegantly with just my Mac...

Am I missing something? Or is Apple trying to cajole/force me into sending all my picture through f*cking iCloud? Are they intentionally taking away the non-cloud options for getting images off my iPhone?

1. On Windows you can browse the photo's on your iPhone. Don't try to delete any; it'll crash Explorer.exe

2. On my Mac, I use /Applications/Image Capture.app for that.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member

That's odd. I had tried Image Capture before I posted, after seeing it recommended elsewhere. My iPhone didn't show up in the device list.

I just tried it again, and there's my iPhone. I don't know what changed!

Thank you for your help.

• Reply 3 of 14

I've been searching online for about a hour and this is the ONLY response iIfound that made sense, WORKED, and didn't involve some stupid App. Thanks for keeping it basic and smart. 

• Reply 4 of 14

Thanks for the tip. I'd never had need to use the Image Capture app prior to this situation. That solution works fine, although it is a bit slow if you want to delete the photos on your iOS device after you've imported them.

After some fiddling around, I discovered that Preview works a little bit better for me. It is not quite as ergonomic/intuitive as using Image Capture, but the end result is identical and Preview gets the job done quicker.

If you want to give it a try, it's located at /Applications/Preview.app. After you've got the application running, use the File drop down menu and select "Import from <your iOS device's name here>" It's the fourth selection from the bottom on my system. Click the "Import All" button in the lower right of the window Preview opens after you connect your device. You'll then need to select where you want your pictures imported to. You can also manually import selected pics if that's what you prefer. Once that's done, simply select which pictures you want to delete from your iOS device (or use Command+A to select all of them) and click on the right-most button of those in the lower left corner of the import window Preview utilizes. It strongly resembles the sign for "No Smoking," but there's no cigarette inside the red circle.

PS - You can set it up in Image Capture that Preview opens automatically anytime your device is connected with new pics on it. That's what I wound up doing.

• Reply 5 of 14

It seems you can do it via iCloud...

https://www.apple.com/icloud/icloud-photo-sharing.html?

Alternative way without using iCloud:

How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Computer

Easy, handy, simple to use. No doubt it's best of all.

• Reply 6 of 14

If you have a Mac, you can import photos from your iOS device using iPhoto.

1. Connect the device to your computer. iPhoto should automatically open its import window and show your device's images and videos.

If iPhoto doesn't open, you might need to turn the option on.

2. Click Import All. Or if you want to import specific items, select those images and videos, then click Import Selected. After your photos import, a dialog will ask you if you want to delete the original photos from your Camera Roll.

3. Choose Delete Photos or Keep Photos.

If you delete photos after you import them, you can reduce the size of your Camera Roll and improve backup and restore times.

If you want to import the photos to additional computers, keep your photos.

You may also click the link below to download the iPhone to Computer Transfer.

How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC

• Reply 7 of 14

Well, to sync data between iOS and Mac, the most direct way is using iTunes, it's also a free way.

If you wanna a more quick, efficient and complete way, I recommend you to use a 3rd party tool, just like iPhone to Mac Transfer or MobileTrans for Mac, which can easily transfer data like contacts, messages, photos, video, music, playlists and more from your iPhone, iPad and iPod to Mac with a click.

• Reply 8 of 14

If you open iPhoto when you transfer photos from iPhone to mac in itunes it should pop up as a device you can import photos from.

By the way, as far as I know photos are downsized when they're transferred to your iphone in the first place. so they will not have a very high resolution when you transfer them back form your phone.

There really is a way to help you to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac, which support iMac too.

• Reply 9 of 14

Do you want to transfer and backup iPhone photos to computer when the photos box is full, so you can delete all of them to store others photos? So you can sync iphone data to itunes and icloud .

• Reply 10 of 14

If you have a PC, you can import photos from your iOS device using iTunes.

Connect the device to your computer. Choose your iPhone photos and then sync them to the computer.

If you want to another tool to help you. You can turn to FonePaw iOS Transfer. Further information, you can read the guide below:

How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Computer

• Reply 11 of 14
    tiffinybtiffinyb Posts: 1member

I don't trust cloud service, like you do too. As a matter of fact, besides iPhoto, you can use FonePaw iOS Transfer to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac. Need just TWO steps.

• Reply 12 of 14
    You can download Coolmuster iPhone iPad iPod to PC Transfer and follow the tutorials.
    1.Connect your iPhone to PC and launch this application
    2.Scan files containing your photos
    3.Transfer and sync them from your iPhone to iTunes or iCloud
  • Reply 13 of 14

You can use iTunes to backup iphone data:

1. Select the iphone in device section of iTunes. Click the "photos" tab.

2. Click the "Sync Photos From" check box and then select an application .Click "Apply" and then click "Sync."

3. Open the application to view the photos after they have been imported from the iphone.