Necessary?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Can someone please explain to me the point in having an app of a website rather than just improving the mobile website? It just seems like a huge inconvenience, but maybe I'm missing something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2

Or, of course, just making a proper app, using the specific platform to your advantage, since it affords more capability than web development. 

Indeed; I've never understood apps that do this, as many websites pushed to these apps aren't touch-friendly!

But I can see apps of websites as existing to afford the user a one-click entrance into the content of said site. It's understandable that they'd want to give people that capability, but I thought that's what the "add to Home Screen" button was for!

• Reply 2 of 2
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by userblah View Post

Can someone please explain to me the point in having an app of a website rather than just improving the mobile website? It just seems like a huge inconvenience, but maybe I'm missing something.

Being able to work offline or access hardware are perhaps factors.   It depends on exactly what you mean.

Can you give us an example, just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Thanks!