Rumor: Apple supposedly working with Intel to build 'smart watch'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A rumor out of Asia on Thursday claims that Apple is working in cooperation with Intel to build a so-called "smart watch" accessory that will allow users tap into high-end iPhone functions, including voice calls.

MetaWatch
The MetaWatch is the latest example of a so-called "smart watch."

AppleInsider cannot verify the publication's assertions and as such offers the following information for purposes of discussion only.

According to Chinese publication 163.com (via Mobile Geeks), Apple will release an Intel-powered wrist watch in the first half of 2013, complete with a 1.5-inch OLED display and low-power Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity.

The purported "supply chain" source said the screen will feature an ITO (indium tin oxide) capacitive touchscreen manufactured by Ritek, a small Chinese OLED display maker located in Shenzhen with ties to DuPont. Intel's connection with the project is somewhat shady as Apple has moved its entire line of iOS devices completely to proprietary package-on-package chip designs. It should be noted, however, that Intel is said to be working on a mobile processor to compete with ARM-based rivals.

While the rumor may be questionable, smart watch devices are seeing a slow rise in popularity as more products come to market. For example, AppleInsider recently took a look at the MetaWatch, a Bluetooth-enabled wrist watch that serves up text messages, calendar alerts and other data directly from a compatible iPhone. Apple's own sixth-generation iPod nano spawned an entire cottage industry of third-party accessories that allowed users to wear the device like a watch. While the company built in Bluetooth capabilities with the current iPod nano, it changed the form factor to more closely resemble a tiny iPhone than something wearable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    My first thought on reading this was "Mondaine". A Mondaine styled watch with apple tech would be a winner.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Apple doesn't need Intel in order to make their own watch accessory. This rumor makes no sense.
  • Reply 3 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Apple doesn't need Intel in order to make their own watch accessory. This rumor makes no sense.

Right, what exactly is Intel going to be contributing? The watch bands?

• Reply 4 of 17
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

It's always possible that Intel is creating an extremely low power chipset, or manufacturing process, that would work well in a smartwatch.

However, lots of times these rumors get the target companies mixed up.  Someone hears about a production item and automatically tries to associate it with a big name.

• Reply 5 of 17

I will wait for the 2nd version of iWatch which will come with the hi-rez retina screen.

And Apple better not release another new watch for at least one year after I buy mine.  

Because Steve would have never let this happen...

• Reply 6 of 17
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Meh - watches are so 90's
    Who wears one these days anyway ?
    :-)
  • Reply 7 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    robm wrote: »
    Meh - watches are so 90's
    Who wears one these days anyway ?
    :-)

This is the thing watches aren't something men need these days thus there is no reason for Apple to make such a device. All a watch does is to announce to everyone around that you are vain and most likely a jerk. Beyond that they are unpleasant thing to have on your arm all day.
  • Reply 8 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is the thing watches aren't something men need these days thus there is no reason for Apple to make such a device. All a watch does is to announce to everyone around that you are vain and most likely a jerk. Beyond that they are unpleasant thing to have on your arm all day.

And I thought I was the only one! I love watches and have a small collection of them. But it has been over a year since I wore one. I simply use my pocket watch - iPhone, if I want to check the time now.

• Reply 9 of 17
    Intel processors and not ARM? Really?

Though I can see it now -- the Dick Tracy watch, or maybe the "Get Smart" watch.
  • Reply 10 of 17

Quote:

You're right. Real men need the AR-15. 

• Reply 11 of 17

This is the thing watches aren't something men need these days thus there is no reason for Apple to make such a device. All a watch does is to announce to everyone around that you are vain and most likely a jerk.

Are you flipping kidding me?!

• Reply 12 of 17
    wizard69 wrote: »
    All a watch does is to announce to everyone around that you are vain and most likely a jerk.

I cannot believe you wrote this. Especially considering many of your posts are well founded and make sense. It quite possible I don't always agree - don't remember from the top of my head - but this post here I certainly find, hmpff, can't even find a word for it. 'Wrist-jerk comment' would that work?
  • Reply 13 of 17

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

'Wrist-jerk comment'…

I'd quote this if it didn't sound questionable out of context.

• Reply 14 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    If true, my only thought is I wish Apple would refrain from sharing with anyone. Intel could just re share the technology Apple has with one of its other partners and compete. That seems to be the M.O. of all tech companies Apple share with these days.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    wizard69 wrote: »
    How do you tell the time when your iPhone battery dies?
  • Reply 16 of 17

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

How do you tell the time when your iPhone battery dies?

He embeds it in the ground and uses it as a sundial.

• Reply 17 of 17
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If there is any truth to this rumour at all - the Intel connection might be in the manufacture of a super frugal Apple designed SoC not an Intel chip as such. They're going to have a 14 nanometre fab process, while everybody else will still be using 20-28 nanometre processes. That means tiny very efficient chips, ideal for small connected watches and the like.